Royal Gala apples - stewing?

raewyn64, Mar 5, 8:55pm
Do royal gala apples stew ok? They are cheap at the moment and I want some apples to stew, and freeze for alter use in apple curmbles or over cereals etc.
Thanks in advance

harrislucinda, Mar 5, 10:01pm
nonotreallyhavetryedbutbrownbeforecookedanddontcookdownWellthatis whathappenstomine

kiwibubbles, Mar 5, 11:32pm
no they don't - have tried them but blergh. Best to stick with granny smiths but yes they're expensive!

gardie, Mar 6, 12:05am
I actually like royal galas stewed as they don't go to mush like granny smiths.I like to have a bit of body left in the apple after cooking.

Edited to add - granny smiths aren't really ready yet - the reason they are expensive.Price should come down in a month or two.

elliehen, Mar 6, 12:07am
Wait for the Braeburns...they have a little bit of 'bite' which is good in a cooking apple, and they keep their body too.

raewyn64, Mar 6, 12:12am
thanks everyone. I got some cheap braeburn today so will give them a try instead.

2halls, Mar 6, 2:47am
I quite often do an assortment of apples,so that you get some that go 'fluffy' and others that retain their shape.I have used Royal Gala many times for crumble,never any complaints !I go with whatever apples are cheap :-)

susan21, Mar 6, 5:03am
Yes me too 2halls.
If you need to mush them up, use a fork!!

sarahb5, Mar 6, 5:28am
I don't pre-cook my apples for apple crumble but you could just peel, chop and freeze the gala apples while they're cheap couldn't you if you put a bit of lemon juice on them?

raewyn64, Mar 6, 8:55pm
Do royal gala apples stew ok! They are cheap at the moment and I want some apples to stew, and freeze for alter use in apple curmbles or over cereals etc.
Thanks in advance

kiwibubbles, Mar 6, 11:32pm
no they don't - have tried them but blergh. Best to stick with granny smiths but yes they're expensive!

gardie, Mar 7, 12:05am
I actually like royal galas stewed as they don't go to mush like granny smiths.I like to have a bit of body left in the apple after cooking.

Edited to add - granny smiths aren't really ready yet - the reason they are expensive.Price should come down in a month or two.

elliehen, Mar 7, 12:07am
Wait for the Braeburns.they have a little bit of 'bite' which is good in a cooking apple, and they keep their body too.

2halls, Mar 7, 2:47am
I quite often do an assortment of apples,so that you get some that go 'fluffy' and others that retain their shape.I have used Royal Gala many times for crumble,never any complaints !I go with whatever apples are cheap :-)

susan21, Mar 7, 5:03am
Yes me too 2halls.
If you need to mush them up, use a fork!

sarahb5, Mar 7, 5:28am
I don't pre-cook my apples for apple crumble but you could just peel, chop and freeze the gala apples while they're cheap couldn't you if you put a bit of lemon juice on them!

punkinthefirst, Mar 7, 6:12am
Add a little real lemon juice or lime juice from those squeezy plastic bottles when cooking your Royal Gala apples for a bit of zing in the flavour. It really does make a difference.

lynja, Mar 7, 7:47am
i use what ever apples are cheap. if you want them really smooth use a blender stick once they are soft

peachygotit, Mar 7, 8:10am
best stewing apples are granny smith.. or apples from peoples trees.imo

peachygotit, Mar 8, 8:10am
best stewing apples are granny smith. or apples from peoples trees.imo