Magimix Food Processors?

kamor, Aug 1, 10:07pm
I am considering buying a Magimix food processor, mailnly due to the fact that there are different bowl sizes. Does anyone have any recommendations about this brand, and is there a particular model that is better than another. Thanks.

davidt4, Aug 1, 10:49pm
Magimix are the best by a long way. Get the biggest one you can afford. I suggest the 5200 with a 3. 7 litre bowl. The larger models come with various smaller bowls but I've rarely found them useful. The slicer/grater function is excellent.

knowsley, Aug 2, 6:53am
I agree with davidt4. I do like mine a lot, but find the smaller bowl pretty hopeless.

pogram0, Aug 2, 7:22am
Magimix are sold very widely throughout Australia - good brand.

carbon_trader, Aug 2, 9:05am
I have the FP5200. . The BIG beast version. Has the large Bowl and Large 1100 w motor for those Big jobs and a "LE Mini" for those really small jobs, like grating, slicing, grinding, shaving and dicing small qty.

The size of the unit depends on the type of useand size of your family sort of... If you do a LOT of food processing in large qty then best to go for the FP4200 or FP5200... .

Its brilliant... those three bowls are so cool when making Lemon Meringue pie, or when you are preparing different ingredients for Different style dishes, as you simply drop out the small bowl and move onto the next one, ( i have several small bowls I bought as extras) The bowls are so easy to clean, the machine GRUNTY and quick and best of all. . The motor has a 12 year guarantee! ! so no worries. .
I thoroughly reccomend them

gardie, Aug 2, 9:08am
I'm somewhat dissapointed in mine. Paid a fortune for it and it struggles to mix up a meat loaf. Both the bowl and lid have cracks in them although they are both useful. I wouldn't spend that sort of money on one again. Not sure of the model but it came with 2 bowls and all sorts of grating slicing beating things. My best ever was a Sunbeam Big Oscar - unfortunately not made any more.

carbon_trader, Aug 2, 9:11am
How do you wash and dry your bowls?
How old is it?
what part of the mixing of the meatloaf base does it struggle with?

cookessentials, Aug 2, 9:47am
I have had a number of people needing spares for theirs which regularly break or crack. I much prefer the Kitchenaid which comes with three bowls.

carbon_trader, Aug 2, 10:06am
I looked at Kitchen Aid, but once i discovered they were made in China and don't have the Same warranty as Magimix , I got Magimix... I have had Magimix for years and never had a bowl crack or break, so I don't know what these people do to them to make them break, considering the Magimix bowls are made from Lexan polycarbonate which is what Aeroplane windows are made from. .

katalin2, Aug 2, 10:54am
x1
I would only get Magimix- they are powerful and easy to use. Mine comes with 3 bowls- have never had to replace any parts and mine gets used on almost a daily basis. As you are in Christchurch Kamor, suggest you try Award Appliances in Blenheim Rd who are the agents and they have a seconds shop and frequently have Magimix with the odd mark on it at considerably reduced prices- that's where I got mine.

katalin2, Aug 2, 11:03am
My one is the mid size one- not the smaller one or the largest one- it is a good size for family use; I can make a double batch of Xmas mince in it- my old Ralta used to struggle and I would have to take half of it out. Also makes a quick job of meat to turn it into mince. I don't tend to use the middle size bowl much but use the small one for making mayonaise or pate. You can also get different kinds of attachments- for making crinkle chips for instance- I haven't bothered to get the extras.

florence14, Aug 2, 11:13am
I have had a Magimix for about 6 years and think it is wonderful. I have had a lid crack, and it was replaced free of charge. I realise now that you should never put the bowls or lids in the dishwasher. Since I have handwashed them I have had no problems.

flo16, Aug 2, 11:25am
Certainly agree magimix are wonderful wouldnt recommend any others have used several different ones and never had another even come close to it. Used both in commercial and normal household.

kamor, Aug 3, 3:09am
Thanks everyone for your advice, and thanks katalin2, I will certainly check out Award Appliances. I tried searching on the internet for Magimix, and didn't have a lot of success.

davidt4, Aug 3, 4:39am
http://www.choice.co.nz/View. aspx? Product=18809

gardie, Aug 3, 6:42pm
Always on top shelf of dishwasher. (They are supposed to be dishwasher safe). It has always struggled with heavy mixes, just a standard meatloaf using minced meat - even with a scone type mix. I guess it would be 5 years now. The cracks are stress cracks on parts where extra stress is put when mixing. (IMO).

It is good to hear that others have positive experiences, personally though, my positive experiences are with other brands and I wouldnt' buy magimix again.

cookessentials, Aug 3, 6:49pm
Always bear in mind that a number of manufacturers have SOME of their items assembled in China under licence, this certainly does not mean that they are inferior. There are very strict guiidelines and checks. You will find that a high % of expensive items from very well known comanies are in fact assembled in China. Just because it is made in France, does not necessarily mean that you are going to get quality... there is always good and bad from a number of appliances whether they are made in Chinna or not. #1 if you Google Magimix France, there is a good site that will give you all the info you need, jjust be sure to translate the page iinto English.
I tend to be at the end where I get customers bringing the magimix in to get replacements for their machines.

barbs77, Aug 3, 9:05pm
I must say, after using Mum's Magimix then my KitchenAid, I really do perfer my KitchenAid. I love the wide neck and it seems to run better. But in saying that they are both VERY good mixers, so you cant really go wrong with either.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 4, 12:57am
Well, I'm a Kenwood fan here.

carbon_trader, Dec 25, 9:12am
http://www.awardappliances.co.nz/products/brand.html? brand=6