Recipes for Frozen Strawberries

ultravioleteyes, Jan 15, 10:39am
Have to use up a bag of frozen strawberries. Can I bake with them? If so what recipes have you got?

male_timaru, Jan 15, 10:42am
Leave to defrost for an hour before using - get some blueberries and raspberries and do a fruits of the forest pie! !

male_timaru, Jan 15, 10:43am
got a jelly mix? make some strawberry jelly and custard and have fun in the afternoon - afternoon delight lol

raewyn64, Jan 15, 7:23pm
I have been buying "seconds" strawberries from my berry farm - most are just not extra large in size but great otherwise. I top them and then freeze them in small bags for the 2 of us.
i take a bag out of the freezer and let it thaw outabout half way so still nice and icy and then use my blender stick to mush them up and then add yoghurt, give it a good mix with a spoon and that is desert - really yummy with that real strawberry flavour and a lot better than icecream. We had visitors a week or so ago and i did the same but also made a couple of berry flavoured jellies, mashed them up and put them in the bottom of the desert bowls and poured the yoghurt/strawberry mix over the top and it went down really well.

horseychick, Jan 15, 7:34pm
x1
Alison Holst has an instant strawberry ice cream recipe, using frozen strawbs, cream, icing sugar and a food processor.

I can't find the recipe book tho' :(

ultravioleteyes, Jan 16, 1:54am
Can I bake muffins with frozen strawberries?

danielvds, Jan 16, 5:44am
I froze strawberries a month ago (cut them into small cubes and free froze them). I use them in smoothies and also made strawberry and blueberry muffins yesterday (adapting a recipe from recipezarr.com) which came out very well. I didn't have enough blueberries so used half and half strawberries and blueberries. I put them into the recipe while they were still frozen. Here is the recipe I used.

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour (or half white/half wholemeal)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda, increase the sugar for a sweeter muffin)
1/4 cup nonfat sour cream (or use low-fat sour cream or use fat-free yogurt)
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
1. Set oven to 180 degrees.
2. Grease or line 12 regular-size muffin tins with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt cinnamon, nutmeg (if using) and blueberries.
4. In another bowl beat banana, sour cream, sugar, egg and vanilla until just blended; stir into the dry blueberry mixture JUST until combined (do not over mix a few small lumps are fine! ).
5. Scoop/divide the mixture between the muffin tins.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the muffins test done.
7. *NOTE* for a double recipe; because of the large amount of baking powder prepare each recipe in two separate bowls, do not double one recipe into one bowl.

Made 12 moist muffins

tramore, Jan 21, 6:51am
I put mine into a fruit crumble with apple or plum

owl32, Jan 21, 9:18am
got kids? strawberry roll-ups . . or fruit leathers as they are known in cooking books :)

msmeets, Jan 22, 1:28am
2 cups froz berries- 1/2 cup icing sugar in a food processor (loud noise) as berries chop then slowly add cream until ice cream consistency, very very yum. ! freeze them in 2 cup lots so i can make this treat whenever.