Anyone think the strawberries are awful this year?

Page 1 / 7
heidsguy, Jan 2, 5:56am
Yeah they are horrible (well supermarket ones are).The best I've tasted are from Mangere Bridge in Auckland.THey do yummy milkshakes made out of real strawberries too

firefly001, Jan 2, 6:27am
what is this chip! - haven't you's guys heard of punnets.

elliehen, Jan 2, 6:29am
'Brawt' as a phonetic (or text) representation of 'brought' makes a whole lot of sense to those interested in spelling reform.

In German 'bracht' or 'gebracht' the consonants are sounded, but English ditched them at the same time as they ditched the 'gh' in 'sight' and 'bright' etc

ibcreative, Jan 2, 6:45am
I can't say I'd ever heard/seen them called chips until this thread. Is it a North Island thing!

prawn_whiskas, Jan 2, 7:07am
Yes they were only called 'chip'(s) when I was a child. no matter what island you lived on in NZ.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 2, 7:14am
Oddly enough, just to confuse the issue even further.I only learned of them being called 'Punnets' when I moved to the NI 15 odd years ago.

elliehen, Jan 2, 9:14am
punnets/chips: cribs/baches

Whatever.all makes for a vibrant vernacular.

Go to OZ and your duvet is a dooner :)

vintagekitty, Dec 27, 8:56pm
I have bought several chips all from different places and they all taste awful. I bought some a few weeks leading up to xmas and they tasted like they were not ripe. I bought 6 chips the day before xmas and half were mouldy on xmas day. Bought more yesterday and they are awful as well.

fruitluva2, Dec 27, 9:04pm
I bought some two weeks ago they were delicious, I didn't get any for xmas as you say they were all mouldy in the shops it put me offdespite going to 5 different places.
I settled for canned black doris plums instead.

vintagekitty, Dec 27, 9:17pm
I checked them over in the store, they looked great and the next day, mould. Yuk

davidt4, Dec 27, 9:17pm
Strawberries on sale in Auckland have been great this year, in excelent condition and in fact tastier than our home grown ones have been so far.

vintagekitty, Dec 27, 9:19pm
I wonder where ours come from then?, I am going to plant some for next year ive decided.

ibcreative, Dec 27, 9:23pm
I have found the strawberries this year better than in the past. I bought 3 punnets on Christmas Eve and we only used 1 on Christmas Day. We used the other 2 yesterday (3 days after purchase) and they were still beautiful. I had forgotten about them so was expecting them to be past it but they weren't at all.

These were bought from a fruit and vege shop rather than a supermarket. I wonder if that makes a difference.

fruitluva2, Dec 27, 9:40pm
I loved the ones I found in nov' at Hawkes Bay for $1.25 so huge and so sweet

michellew2k, Dec 27, 9:46pm
Our home grown ones were awesome, but the store bought ones were not good

lizab, Dec 27, 9:47pm
vintage kitty, I've been thinking the exact same thing!! They seem to be selling them slightly over ripe and they're not keeping well.

xenabuffy, Dec 27, 9:49pm
they dont taste very nice up round Dargaville, not enough spray on them i think.

uli, Dec 27, 9:52pm
Just another person who has no clue to what the hot humid weather is doing to the fruit ...

amsandlant, Dec 27, 10:04pm
Supermarket ones have been manky and awful - have discovered it's worth the short trip out to the strawberry farm to buy direct from there, theirs are MUCH better!

buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:06pm
Oh dear uli. Is it right that you raise the spectre of weather conditions and how they are negatively affecting soft fruit ripening, brix and storage? In the el nino years strawberries have been just great so why should the present weather conditions alter that. Just so unfair and it must be all your fault.

valentino, Dec 27, 10:10pm
My Son got ours from either Big Red or the other one that are on SH 16 between Westgate and Kumeu, absolutely delicious.

Christmas Eve were purchased and looked superb, come Christmas Day and they were just starting to seep or that very lightly bursting with their juices, they were at their very best prime eating time.

No mould whatsoever.
Boxing Day, a few remainig ones were soon totally demolished, they needed to be.

Cheers.

praxis2, Dec 27, 10:56pm
my hubby brawt a chip home from new world hillcrest, only found one mouldy one and they were sweeter then last years strawberries.

kabbo, Dec 27, 11:11pm
same. dunno why - but I seem to always be the one who has to get the strawberries for xmas day!! same as you VK, bought several chips from several shops. the ones I bought on the 23rd were quite manky by the next morning and even worse by xmas morning grrr, despite being kept in the fridge.

next year bags not to do the strawberries for xmas day hehe.

uli, Dec 27, 11:22pm
Your hubby "brawt" a "chip" home?
Now how is HE settling in I wonder?

uli, Dec 27, 11:36pm
Yeah lots is my fault entirely - especially the myths of "calories in versus calories out" or even the soy toxicity - and of course all the low carb problems ... WHY can't we eat grains AND be healthy???