Chicken drumsticks in slow cooker - how long to ?

honeybean, Jul 17, 4:35am
How long do you need to cook chicken drumsticks in a slow cooker?
I just want to put 'chicken tonight ' over them and leave them to cook tomorrow. I have looked in my books and on the internet and the times vary quite a lot? I am thinking 4 hours on high?
thanks! !

245sam, Jul 17, 5:40am
honeybean, because it was right in front of me as I was reading your question I have now had a look at Allyson Gofton's book "Slow" where I found a reasonable consistency in the times given for cooking drumsticks in the crockpot & slowcookere. g. Butter Chicken 12 drumsticks = 6-8 hours on low, 4-5 hours on high; Coq au vin 10-12 drumsticks = 6-7 hours on low, 3-4 hours on high; Paprika Chicken 12 drumsticks = 6-7 hours on low, 3-5 hours, so I would say that "your thinking 4 hours on high" would be a very good indication of the time you'd need to allow - I can't help you from personal experience as I only need to cook 4-6 drumsticks at any one time so for that I use the little bench-top (somewhat ancient) Toast n Grill which still does the task quite adequately.

Hope that helps. :-))

honeybean, Jul 19, 12:21am
x1
Thanks - cooked them for 4 hours on high and they would have been ok -but left them a bit longer while hubby did the veges ( he is not very fast :-)so they ended up getting 5 hours - but fell off the bone and were yum. I need to try out some more chicken recipes - so easy.

dbab, Jul 19, 4:01am
Maybe next time you could turn your slow cooker to "keep warm" or even off after 4 hours. I'm sure they would stay warm while hubby does the veges.

fisher, Jul 19, 4:17am
Crockpot Marinated Chicken. .
Marinate chicken pieces in red wine, soy sauce, chopped garlic, honey and grated ginger overnight in covered dish in fridge...
Place the chicken pieces in the crockpot and pour over the marinade... Cover with lid and cook on high for 4 - 4 1/2 hours in the crock pot.

fisher, Jul 19, 4:18am
Honeyed Chicken Pieces...
Place chicken in plastic bag and add flour... Shake to coat. . Melt 2 tsp butter and 2 tbsp Honey together and add 1 tsp curry...
Dip chicken pieces into the sauce to coat all sides and place in crockpot... Pour remaining sauce over chicken... Cook for 6-8 hours on low.

fisher, Jul 19, 4:21am
Hungarian Chicken
Serve, top with sour cream and sprinkle a pinch of paprika...
Ingredients:. .
6 - 8 large skinless chicken pieces. . 1 med onion, chopped. . 2 cloves crushed garlic . . 1/4 cup flour. . 1 tbsp paprika. . 2 tsp dried chicken stock. . 1 tbsp dark soy sauce. . 1 400g tin tomatoes. . 2 tbsp tomato paste. . 1 green capsicum sliced finely. . low-fat sour cream to serve...
Method:
Place onion and garlic in cooker... Combine flour and paprika in a plastic bag, add chicken pieces and shake gently till well coated. .
Empty the flour mix over the onion and garlic. Toss to mix and spread evenly over the base of the cooker and place chicken on top. .
In small bowl combine stock, soy sauce, tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well... Spoon this mixture evenly over the chicken pieces...
Cover with lid and cook on high for 4 - 4 1/2 hours in the crock pot. . Add capsicum, thirty mins before cooking time is complete.

fisher, Jul 19, 4:22am
Honey Chicken and Sesame
Ingredients:
Chicken wings. . salt and pepper to taste. . 2 cups honey. . 1 cup soy sauce. . 1/2 cup tomato sauce. . 1/4 cup oil. . 2 cloves garlic, minced. .
Method:
Rinse chicken and pat dry. . Cut each wing at joint to make two sections. . Sprinkle wings with salt and pepper. .
Place wings in roasting dish and grill until chicken is browned... Transfer chicken to crockpot. .
For Sauce:Combine honey, soy sauce, tomato sauce, oil and garlic in bowl... Pour over chicken wings...
Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours or on high2-2 /2 hoursGarnish with roasted sesame seeds.

unknowndisorder, Jul 21, 11:06am
As it seems chicken is becoming a staple part of our diet, I'll definitely have to try this, sounds delicimo.
I'm freezing meals my husband can heat up when he gets home earlier than me, and we've both been impressed with how well chicken drumsticks cook in the crockpot (barely using it for anything else).
So thanks for that Fisher, will post up how it turns up after the weekend :)

fisher, Nov 18, 2:57pm
goodo... hope it turns out to your liking... :}