Crumbed Chicken Drumsticks.

el.diablo, May 11, 2:58am
Hi all, I've been trying to find a good recipe like what my parents used to cook for crumbed chicken drumsticks. They kind of turned out like these:

http://0.tqn.com/d/southernfood/1/I/X/a/drumstick1.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Qt19NwlJjlg/SmxNdvASTLI/AAAAAAAAEZY/qgZaCJhq_XE/s400/20090725_7087-Simon_Crumbed-Chicken.jpg

Any help from people who know how to make something similar to these would be greatly appreciated! From memory they left the skin on and cooked in the oven, although if anyone has any pan-fried recipes that would be cool to try too! The middle turned out nice and moist with the crust all crunchy. Any recipe ideas people would be keen to share! Thanks!

jbsouthland, May 11, 3:09am
posted in P&A for you.

el.diablo, May 11, 3:14am
whats P & A! I was thinking pets and animals board! lol

littleblackhen, May 18, 3:24am
Try this,Global Cuisine Southern Fried Chicken ready to use coating,I have only ever seen this in Countdown,it's in a light blue pkt ,it looks just like the pictures you put up.It's a family favourite around here.

kiwibubbles, May 18, 5:14am
i ususally just mix breadcrumbs with seasoning. e.g. paprika.salt. pepper. or use herbs instead of paprika. my drumsticks usually turn out quite crispy. i use fanbake in the oven. Instead of breadcrumbs you could use panko crumbs

audio-solutionz, May 18, 5:39am
i use the edmonds Cornflake coating. It's crunchy and leaves the center moist.

sumstyle, May 18, 10:11am
I've experimented with this one after I saw Bobby on Rachael Ray one afternoon.It is really nice - I've never had much success with southern fried chicken before, and it's much tidier than using a frying pan.

Instead of buttermilk, I just used yoghurt.It was really good with boneless, skinless thighs, and only ok with breast meat cut into thinner slices.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bobby-deen/unfried-chicken-recipe/index.html

janny3, May 18, 4:19pm
Cut up one 2kg ready-to-cook broiler-fryer chicken.

Dip pieces in 1/2 c melted butter;
roll in mixture of 2 c crushedpotato chips (or 2 c crushed BBQ chips or crushed cornflakes,or 3 c crisp rice cereal, crushed),
1/4 tsp garlic salt &
dash pepper.

(Can add creole, Thai, Chinese, or other spice mix for variety)

Place pieces, skin side up, not touching, in greased shallow baking pan.
Sprinkle with remaining butter & crumbs.

Bake @ 180 C degrees about 1 hour, or till done.

Do not turn. Makes 4 servings.

Better Homes & Gardens NEW Cookbook - 1976

janny3, May 18, 4:19pm
Easy oven-baked "fried" chicken:

2kg broiler-fryer chicken pieces.

Dip pieces in 1/2 c melted butter;
roll in mixture of 2 c crushedpotato chips (or 2 c crushed BBQ chips or crushed cornflakes,or 3 c crisp rice cereal, crushed),
1/4 tsp garlic salt &
dash pepper.

(Can add creole, Thai, Chinese, or other spice mix for variety)

Place pieces, skin side up, not touching, in greased shallow baking pan.
Sprinkle with remaining butter & crumbs.

Bake @ 180 C degrees about 1 hour, or till done.

Do not turn. Makes 4 servings.

Better Homes & Gardens NEW Cookbook - 1976

rosel4, May 18, 4:27pm
I will try this, thanks!

Here is how my friend makes it from frozen chicken pieces -

thaw, rinse well, drain in colander & dry on paper towels.

Dip in 1/2 cup of melted butter & roll in 2 cups crushed corn flakes with the 1/4 t. garlic salt & dash pepper.

v. Important not to let pieces touch while baking to ensure they're crispy.

Bake 180 C for an hour.

pinky10, May 19, 4:03am
Coat and cook crumb mix, in a blue packet by the crumbs at the supermarket.Really good.

jbsouthland, May 19, 4:17am
Diamond coat and cook .tis great .

frier, May 19, 6:26am
Yes I agree, coat and cook, just brilliant x