Copycat Recipies - From your local cafe/resturant

Page 2 / 9
rema, Aug 9, 9:40pm
x1
bumping for more savoury dishes

tazzaboy2, Aug 10, 8:54am
yum. . can i make without the nuts. . i must do. . not a fan of pecan/walnuts. .

tazzaboy2, Aug 10, 8:56am
mmm yumo. thanks

tazzaboy2, Aug 10, 9:00am
i'm after a thick caramel slice from rangiora bakery. . it has a dark coconut base with thick caramel and melted chocolate on the top.

katalin2, Aug 10, 10:29am
I make a quarter cup of really strong coffee- but you could use coffee granules and dissolve them to get the required amount. Jo Segar recommends using Bushell's Coffee and Chicory essence ( comes in a bottle the size of a worcester sauce bottle so lasts for ages) in some of her recipes for a strong coffee kick- I sometimes use that, especially in the icing. It is one of my favourite slices:)

indy95, Aug 14, 11:19pm
x1
I have heard about the Rhubarb and Caramel Scones made at the Gypsy Kitchen in Strathmore Park, Wellington. Has anyone tried one of these, please ? I would like to know whether the caramel is in the scones or on the top and if anybody has the recipe I would love to have it.

thuntzster, Aug 16, 8:56am
Baileys Irish cream.
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup whiskey
1 tbsp chocolate syrup
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coffee
Combine well and store in fridge.

winnie231, Aug 16, 9:01am
What cafe/restaurant is that from thuntzster?

tigerlilly16, Aug 17, 3:04am
I think you'll find it's from the dontbeapedanticb! tch cafe, winnie

winnie231, Aug 17, 3:12am
And I think you misunderstand me tigerlilly16 ... I wasn't trying to be remotely b. . chy.
It was a genuine question!
I'm an ex cafe manager myself & have made sauces & desserts involving alcohol at times.
It's quite plausible to me that a cafe somewhere used that recipe.
I don't know it myself & was checking as I thought thuntzster may have forgotten to post the cafe name.
Not everyone here is out to be nasty.

tigerlilly16, Aug 17, 3:23am
I was just being cheeky, Winnie :) I realise it might have come across a bit harsh. Sorry. That's just my innate b. . chiness coming out :D

winnie231, Aug 17, 3:31am
Ok - we can hug & make up then :)

tigerlilly16, Aug 17, 3:49am
Deal - come here and hug it out biarch :D

I'll be quiet now and let this go back to being a recipe thread for a bit lol ;)

cookessentials, Aug 17, 4:11am
The Bailey's recipe is from a Jo Seagar Christmas book I used to have but cannot seem to find any more!

charli08, Aug 17, 5:37am
Has anyone got a recipe for Apricot Health Slice, used to be made at Ground Zero cafe in Whakatane. Don't be fooled by the name as I could taste butter, sugar and golden syrup and not much in the way of health. Had yummy sticky diced apricots and gel in the middle.

eastie3, Aug 18, 3:30am
I loved the White Chocolate Blondies I used to buy from Heaven's Bakeries in Napier. They are best I have tasted.

jaz8, Aug 18, 9:11am
There's a wonderful white choc and macadamia blondie recipe in a past foodtown magazine. If you are interested I can post the recipe.

maynard9, Aug 18, 9:42am
Yes please jaz8.

diachris, Aug 20, 10:18am
Made the takaka oaty ginger slice today. , it is so easy to make & really nice. It has taken over as my fav ginger slice, cheers.

macac, Aug 21, 1:01am
I would love a recipe for something close to the chicken dianne sauce from Breakers? ?

chef1964, Aug 21, 3:13am
as a chef myself and having been asked many times for recipes for certain dishes, I do not give my recipes away freely
chefs recipes have often come about from a very long and involved process and are often the food resulting from said recipe is the point of difference between there restaurant/cafe and the one next door
also a recipe is just a list of ingredients plus some methodology , food (in my humble opinion) does not come from recipes good food comes from the heart just as much as from the mind

nanny9, Aug 21, 7:29am
Bump! ! !

holdenfanz, Aug 21, 8:25am
I've been wanting the Hollywood bakery's Apple Caramel slice recipe. It is delicious but they refuse to hand over the recipe lol

linette1, Sep 27, 4:17am
Breakfast treat from a really nice guesthouse who's name eludes me.
Ramekin Baked Eggs
For each serving:
2 thin slices bread
1 large egg
3–4 narrow slices of cheese (cheddar, feta or brie)
2 tablespoons cream
1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Generously brush the base and sides of an oven-proof ramekin (1 cup capacity) with a little melted butter. Cut a circle of bread to fit the ramekin base. Cut the other slice into 4 triangles and line the sides with these "sails". Insert cheese along sides. Carefully break in the egg. Combine cream, mustard, salt and black pepper and spoon over the egg. Bake 12–15 minutes until golden and cheese has melted.
(Optional: Add chopped herbs such as chives, chervil and parsley or replace cheese with chopped bacon or smoked salmon pieces)

pam.delilah, Sep 28, 6:14am
x1
Caramel Oat Slice recipe
from Pukeko Junction Caef in Amberley, Celine from Pukeko Junction said that this recipe is very popular but she's more than happy to share it with us.

200g butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder

FILLING
125g butter
1/2 cup golden syrup
1 1/4 cups sweetened condensed milk

TOPPING
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup brown sugar
100g butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Beat together first measure of butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add vanilla, flour and baking powder and mix well.

2. Press the mixture into a baking paper lined 24cm x 30cm slice pan and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.

3. To make caramel filling, place second measure of butter, golden syrup and condensed milk into a saucepan and cook, stirring, until thick and golden brown.

4. In a separate bowl, mix together the topping ingredients.

5. Spread caramel over cooked base and sprinkle crumble on top. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.

Tip! Chill this slice for a few hours before you cut it into squares.