Who has a rice cooker? How do you like it?

Page 2 / 2
pat56, Jul 14, 1:44am
We have Warehouse brand, cheap as & brilliant. 1 cup rice to 1 cup water, maybe a little more.
We like to sprinkle Tumeric in (at beginning) & stir to give nice flavour.

gavin166, Jul 14, 1:51am
Are you buying basmati rice?

cookessentials, Jul 14, 2:50am
I have one, but do have a confession to make. it is new, still in it's box and never been used! I took it out and by the time I read the instructions and set the thing up, it was quicker just to cook using my usual method! I do not cook so much rice now, so it would be a waste to bother using it now.

gr8stuf4me, Jul 14, 3:06am
Hey Cooks, you know you can freeze cooked rice aye. Its easy peasy and great. I do it all the time. And when you want it, you just pull it out and microwave it back into life. Works a treat for fried rice too. You just freeze it in suitable containers in portions just right for you.

jag5, Jul 14, 4:33am
Pot for me. Don't need another gadget/appliance in the kitchen when a pot works fine... . . never fail.

elliehen, Jul 14, 4:46am
Yes, gr8 tip :)I always try to cook more than I need so that I have some frozen and ready-to-go for a recipe like stuffed capsicums.

caspa007, Jul 14, 4:57am
I've been using a Breville rice cooker for the past 4+ years and the rice always turns out great. I use 1 ¼ cups of water for each cup of rice. As there are only 2 of us, we always have left overs which get packed into the freezer if we don't plan on eating it the next night.

cottagerose, Jul 14, 5:39am
I have a microwave one that works a treat, when I remember Ive got it.
Could kick myself when I cook on the stove because Ive forgotten

ma51, Jul 14, 7:14am
Briscoes have a 5 cup one for $25. 00 from $49. 99. Kambrook brand. I don't have one but saw this advertised and were reading this thread. I wonder what people think of this brand?

alimick, Jul 14, 8:37am
Yes I saw that too ma51. Searched this tread again for any mention of Kambrook.
In the mean time I have twice now cooked rice using the method several have mentioned with the water up to the first knuckle. So far not too bad. Not exactly free flowing grains, but maybe I need to try some basmati. Also I haven't tried it with a larger amount, like for visitors.

pat56, Jul 14, 9:37am
I always use basmati rice, rinse 5 times, & soak in water 30 minutes before cooking. Really is simple.

ma51, Jul 15, 3:30am
pat56 what does soaking rice for 30 minutes do? Personally I wash rice a lot and have been using a pot and I am thinking of getting a rice cooker too.

ma51, Jul 15, 7:15am
alimick. I was told in a shop today that Breville was a good brand. 8 cup capacity cooks up to 16 cups of cooked rice. $39. 00 was $79. 99 at Heathcotes. Also has a steamer for vegetables on top. Comes with measuring cup and spatula.

andrea1978, Jul 16, 4:17am
I'm onto my second breville one. my last one still worked but got a hole in the bottom. we do have rice a lot though!

ma51, Jul 16, 6:39am
I used the Breville one today for the first time. Was very happy. But maybe next time a little more than 1 cup rice to 1 cup water.

kabbo, Jul 16, 6:41am
ive got a breville one too, the one with the steamer on top. love it.
i wouldnt go back to boiling rice on the stove, the rice cooker is so easy. comes out nice and fluffy.

simony1, Oct 31, 6:02pm
I used to cook my rice with a tin of soup (mushroom was nice) and water in the machine, or you can use packet soup and then add cheese at the end, it makes a really nice rice rissoto