Pavalova dessert - not rising like it used to.

tigerlily99, Jul 10, 2:26am
Hello people, I haven't been on this thread before. (waving) Disappointed with my pavs lately as they are usually high and really marshmallowy (a big hit at social gatherings) but the last couple I made have been a flop. Thoughts anyone - maybe the ingredients aren't fresh enough? Eggs not right? My recipe is a tried and true one, nothing changed there at all.

cookessentials, Jul 10, 3:40am
x1
Clean bowl? Any hint of grease in the bowl or the slightest bit of egg yolk will mean you wont get the volume in your egg whites.

jerichord, Jul 10, 4:33am
leave your eggs out of the fridge for at least 12 hrs. , room temperature,

pickles7, Jul 10, 4:54am
I know , you forgot the icing sugar... . In the search function , on your left , Write ... pickles7... on the key word member space, and scroll down to ... anytime ... on the date posted, . You may find what you are looking for there

grannypam, Jul 10, 4:58am
I reckon its the cold in the winter. .

I now stand my bowl in the sink that has some almost hot water in it. .

and check that your oven is on bake and not grill. .

sounds silly I know but it happened to me once . . lol

pickles7, Jul 10, 5:11am
I have never had a failed pav. yet. Try the icing sugar one. You will need an electric mixer for that recipe, 15 minutes on high. I have hand wisked sponges, but never a pav.

weezil, Jul 10, 5:21am
pickles7... do you just put the lot in the mixing bowl and give it "what for" for 15 mins? ... (I feel a pav coming on... lol)

grannypam, Jul 10, 5:30am
hey weezily one. .

pav at your place is it ? ?

when are you moving closer to us . . lol

Why is it though that everytime I feel a real hankering for a Pav . . . I soon realise that I have no cream.

And a Pav without cream just isn't a ... pav . . is it ? . .

btw , it never rains but it pours. . Dad is in hosp now , hes had a major stroke, cant eat or talk or walk. . I told him that now would be a good time to tell him hes a b'stard. . he smiled. . lol

margyr, Jul 10, 5:39am
wet weather seems to affect pav's too, and as others have said check your bowl for grease. grannypam, all the best to you and your loved ones.

grannypam, Jul 10, 5:41am
thanks margyr . .

It's just 3 weeks tomorrow since Mum went . . par for the course as we age I suppose. . lol

weezil, Jul 10, 6:50am
awww sorry to hear your dads crook gp... . trust me if we could afford to move to a warmer climate we would... . . would be fabulous to have an orchard and nice warm days... these old bones are gettin a bit creeky and cold weather does zip for my charm. . (and no I dont need comment on the lack of it. . lol)... . and thanks pickles7

jaybee2003, Jul 10, 8:35am
tigerlily - I am thinking it might be your oven thermostat on the blink. You're an experienced and usually successful pav maker, so you will know if your whites are beating the way they should, which wipes out the grease or water theory. You will know the correct texture for the addition of the sugar, so there should be no problem there. I assume you use your eggs at room temp warmth. Same old recipe, same method, same cook and a mysterious failure. Considering the marshmallow pavs need a higher heat to cook the exterior quicker than a slower dried out type pav... . I'd be checking out your oven thermostat.

skippy33, Jul 10, 9:04am
are you able to post the receipe here. I love trying new things.

jaybee2003, Jul 10, 10:14am
Life's a bit like that, more so as the years go by it seems. Sorry to hear you have had and are having a bit of a rough time right now. Sending positive thoughts your way, thinking of you and your family.

we_egg, Jul 10, 10:59am
I use the recipe out of the Edmonds book. Follow it exactly and my pavs turn out primo. have made 2 pavs in the last month and b4 this had never made them b4.

Eggs were taken out of the fridge 10mins b4 beating them.

tigerlily99, Jul 12, 7:04am
Hi all, I think I might have slipped up guys and it may have been a mixture of eggs some at room temp and the others from the fridge! EEkk... I will be careful not to do that again. Pretty sure that I did that last time so that might explain it. My recipe was given to me by a family member, simple ingredients but more about the timing and beating and what to look for that makes it a true favourite. It uses 2 cups castor sugar, 7-8 egg whites (size 7 eggs even better) cornflour and vinegar, vanilla essence. No icing sugar in this one.

tigerlily99, Jul 12, 7:06am
And at the top it says 'Room Temperature eggs' so there you go.

tigerlily99, Jul 12, 7:18am
Thanks for the icing sugar one, I will try it out soon. If anyone wants my pav recipe I will write it out but be warned, it is quite long- winded.

gordy8252, Jul 12, 8:22pm
Made the icing sugar one once and it tasted awful so never again. . heres my highly successful recipe. . Preheat oven to 80 degrees. Beat 4 egg whites and a pinch of salt together for 3 minutes. Then add a cup full of caster sugar gradually beating the whole time. Beat in a teaspoon of white vinegar and a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Lastly with a whisk quickly whisk in a teaspoon of cornflour. Put mixture onto tray lined with baking paper. . and bake for an hour and half at 80 celcius. . perfect every time

pickles7, Oct 21, 3:11pm
That's a shame... . gordy... . We used the icing sugar one in our bakery, the shelf life was longer than the caster sugar one, they never weeped, were all marshmallow, didn't crack . We couldn't afford a failure, with baking 12 at a time. We could use the Hobart mixer , without the need to wash and dry everything before starting over.