Pressure Cooking

samboy, Jul 9, 4:57am
I have just purchased a Prestige Pressure cooker, it has a steamer rack that sits in the bottom. Does anyone know if this is to steam veges, and if so, its sits almost right on the bottom so I wondered how much water you would use to steam. Also does anyone have any good pressure cooker tips they can share, thanks

cookessentials, Jul 9, 5:00am
Did it not come with instructions?

cookessentials, Jul 9, 5:02am
What sort of steam release mechanism does it have? I only sell the Fagor brand-you would use about 1/2 cup of water in that. It has a push button steam release valve.

samboy, Jul 9, 5:08am
It came with a 4 page leaflet, which doesn't even mention the steamer rack except for saying that its part of the package. Steam release is called a Regulator.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 5:14am
Usually they have a steamer basket and a trivet for the bottom. Is it a new one from a retailer or did you buy on Trademe?

cookessentials, Jul 9, 5:15am
I would suggest that you Google, "how to use a pressure cooker" which will give you some basic instructions, or look up Prestige pressure cooker.

samboy, Jul 9, 5:17am
I just bought it from Briscoes, brand new. I think the steamer rack is more like a trivet. I might have to buy a steamer basket separate, like those collapsible ones, I think the steamer rack provided does not allow for enough water in the bottom.

lulu239, Jul 9, 5:29am
Um, excuse me for asking, but aren't you wanting just to cook your veges? . The baskets are for loose things things like pasta and for the ease of removing things. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have no pressure then you may as well use a steamer. Google the makers and ask for a recipe book. I did this with Fagor as the book I had was for different models. They sent me an instruction book and a recipe book free of charge. A decent firm.

samboy, Jul 10, 6:12am
thanks lulu, I will do that. I want to try all sorts of things in the cooker but remember my mum steaming vegetables at the same time as she did corned beef - all in the pressure cooker so want to try that.

margyr, Jul 10, 6:32am
i sat my basket thingy on top of the meat and just did them for a few minutes, dont know if that was the right way to use it or not but it worked.

nauru, Oct 15, 5:59pm
The baskets are for the veges. Also you can put meat etc in the bottom with the trivet on the top. Then root veges on the trivet and otherveges in the baskets on top. I have had a prestige cooker for over 40 years. I use 1 cup of water as recommended in the manual.