Ultimate Cheese Roll recipe as TV 1 news 6/07/2010

Page 1 / 2
sweater, Jul 7, 12:18am
x1
Did any one manage to get this recipe, I have looked at the TV1 news site & cannot find where to go, it did say it would be available to find it please help.

datoofairy, Jul 7, 12:22am
This was the winning recipe:

500 grams grated cheese - (Mainland Mild Blend or Mild Cheddar)
1 tin Nestle carnation evaporated milk
1 pkt Maggi onion soup mix
1 finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 cup cream

Heat in microwave for six minutes - stirring in between time, cool - spread lengthways on to long cut white bread from Marlow's Bakery, South Dunedin. Roll into cheese rolls (3 folds).

wron, Jul 7, 12:28am
Could you make these with normal slices from a white loaf - I make mine in a breadmaker - an old one so the loaves aren't that big?

datoofairy, Jul 7, 12:34am
I've lived in the South all my life, so have eaten and made countless cheese rolls. 99% of those cheese rolls have been made with ordinary sandwich sliced bread. I see no reason you cant use your bread maker bread. You can also use wholemeal bread or pretty much any bread at all.
The person who made the winning cheese rolls just uses the long bread as her personal preference, normal bread is more commonly used.

I add this in case you havent made these before, when you go to heat them, spread both sides of the rolls with butter and grill till golden brown both sides. I use our sandwich press to cook ours.

245sam, Jul 7, 12:41am
sweater, I realise that the recipe is above at #2 but here's where the recipe can be found on TVNZ's website:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/ultimate-cheese-roll-maker-f
ound-3630101

wron, Jul 7, 12:42am
Aha, that's really interesting - thanks very much. Are they a South of the Sth Is speciality?
There's just 2 of us at home now - does anyone have a smaller recipe for me to try tonight please as I don't have cream or evap. milk (used in rice pud! ) in the house at the moment and am 14km from the nearest shop - have a bit of light cream though.

datoofairy, Jul 7, 12:45am
I never knew until recently that not everyone in NZ knew about cheese rolls, had I given it any thought I would have assumed everyone ate them.
Personally, I dont think its worth making them without the evaporated milk, as thats what gives the filling the creamy, gooeyness that makes a cheese roll a cheese roll. Without it, its just melted cheese on rolled up toast - not the same at all.
They do freeze really well.

neil_di, Jul 7, 12:50am
just reduce the measurements and cooking time to suit. . it really is the evap milk thats the secret and also the melting of ingredients. . I dont use the onion cos the onion soup is fine. Dont want to imagine how many of these I have made for fundraising ventures. . yes they are definitely a sth of the sth treasure and a great standby in the freezer. I also use my panini press to cook them but butter after cooking. Yum.

wron, Jul 7, 1:16am
Hi there folks,
So neil_di, do you cook without any butter and then butter like toast? I think I try your system but give datoofairy's pre buttering a go at the same time!
I'll be buying another can of evap. milk next shop! !
Thanks for replies.

dollydot, Jul 7, 1:22am
I had never heard of them until reading the recipe in the Dompost today. we are in Wellington. They sound yummy and would go down well in the school hols. Thanks South Islanders for sharing a great recipe!

sweater, Jul 7, 1:35am
thanks so much everyone, will be off to make some, sound so nice

kofia, Jul 7, 1:39am
Thanks everyone for sharing and posting the TVNZ website, guess what we are having for week-end lunch, lolYUMMO.

wildflower, Jul 7, 4:15am
I'd seen an earlier thread on here about them and though I made my first trip to Dunedin earlier this year that was the first I'd heard of them. Then on the news last night so I shall definitely have to try them.

Just for clarity -you spread filling on, roll up, then grill? ? ? ?

fisher, Jul 7, 4:41am
Here's my one from years and years ago... Posted about 40 times over the years. . lol:}

Cheese Rolls / Logs . . Freezes well. . Great with Soups
In a saucepan add~1 tin of evaporated milk. . 1 pkt onion soup mix. . 2 cups grated cheese ( NOT tasty). . 1 onion finely chopped . .
Low heat until cheese has melted. . Spread onto bread... Roll up , pin with wet toothpick and grill in oven, turning till golden brown.
Variations:
Add finely chopped chives.
Sprinkle bacon bits on before rolling up
Add wholegrain mustard.
Wrap in bacon rashes, pin with wet toothpick and grill till crisp(serve immediately)

free-h-oldies, Jul 7, 6:52am
I owned a coffee lounge in Whangarei a few years back and a customer asked if I had any cheese rolls I had never heard of them before that so yes I do think it is a South Island treat, I live down here now and see them everywhere I even make them when we are having soup nights.

crystalmoon, Jul 7, 7:03am
Such a fantastic snack, I'm a northy but got to try these wonderfull things when I visited inlaws in Invercargil a few years back. Always have a stock of them in the freezer now, I like the evap milk ones too and love adding other things as well, not true blue but nevermind :)

vailima1, Jul 7, 7:37am
what is a 3 fold... . .

cuddles3, Jul 7, 7:45am
My mother and grandmother used to make them when I was a child; some 40 years ago and we live in Palmerston North so not always a south thing and you used to also be able to buy them at some of the lunch places.

sue1955, Jul 7, 8:18am
3 fold - fold bread over 3 times (into thirds).

firob, Jul 7, 9:50am
How important is including the cream ? would prefer not to add cream.

neil_di, Jul 7, 6:00pm
##FIBRO##never included cream in the "zillions" I've made. . probably just adds a little special touch but leave it out. . its not a vital ingred.
#WRON# When I grill in oven I dont pre butter but my panini pan gets a quick spray. . personal taste of course. . You will love them! ! ! !

toadfish, Jul 7, 7:11pm
Ok... I am seriously going to give these a go next soup night... I read somewhere to cut the top and bottom crusts off... . probably to make it fold easier... . do you spread the filling like thick butter... . sounds great.

a_n_h, Jul 7, 8:45pm
i make mine with reduced cream, onion soup mix and cheese. kids love them to bits.

neil_di, Jul 7, 9:03pm
#TOADFISH# It depends on whether you like crusts or not. . most people leave them on. . yes spread generously. . but not so much that you lose filling when they're toasting. . sandwich sliced if you are buying your bread. . the mixture above goes a long way. . ooh and dont used thawed bread cos you are going to have to freeze some. Dont wait till soup night Toadfish. . they are yummy anytime. . cheers Di

jeeza1, Jul 7, 9:15pm
Can some one explain what is 3 folds plz? ...