Cheese Roll recipe please

sugarplum1, Sep 16, 3:35am
Ok folks, I've heard all about the fabulous cheese rolls from the South Island, so would anyone be willing to share their recipes please?Would love to try them.

gardie, Sep 16, 3:39am
do a search and change date posted to anytime - a thread there about a week ago.

245sam, Sep 16, 3:41am
sugarplum1, try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using cheese rolls as the Keyword and Anytime as the Date posted option - you'll find a number of earlier threads with a variety of recipes/versions of the cheese rolls.:-))

pickles61, Sep 16, 8:19am
slowly heat a tin of evaporated milk with 1 packet of maggi onion soup mix.When thickened add a good handful of grated cheese.When cool spread on sandwich bread with the buttered side to the outside.Then grill they are really yummy.

debudder, Sep 16, 9:02am
Pickles61 similar to my recipe but I add a tblsp of vinegar and 1/2 tsp mustard and 500grams cheese.This mixture keeps sealed in fridge for a couple of weeks or in freezer.I often roll them then freeze but if short of time I will just freeze the mixture and thaw as needed.I cut off crust and roll.Grill then turn when required, add butter after they are cooked, damn you all I now want one and have no mixture.Oh never had anyone not like my cheese rolls.

rosielee3, Sep 16, 9:03am
The award winning recipe that was announced not long ago in Dunedin is divine - my nan makes them all the time for us! nom nom!! Will try to find it and post

rosielee3, Sep 16, 9:07am
whoops i bumped another thread i was reading on cheese rolls by mistake. here is the winning dunedin recipe

The winning recipe
- 500g grated cheese (Mainland Mild Blend or Mild Cheddar)
- 1 tin Nestle Carnation evaporated milk
- 1 pkt Maggi onion soup mix
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp mustard powder1 cup cream

- Heat in microwave for six minutes, stirring in between time.

- Cool, spread lengthways on to long-cut white bread from Marlow's Bakery, South Dunedin.

- Roll into cheese rolls using three folds.

marcs, Sep 17, 12:16am
I just use a tin or reduced cream, 1 pkt onion soup or mushroom soup, 1/2 to 1 onion finely diced and 2 cups grated cheese. Mix all together and spread on bread. Roll up and butter the top. Bake in a 200 deg oven till top is brown.

bucjo, Sep 18, 10:37am
this is as my mum wrote it out to me lol:

Cheese Roll Mix

3/4 cup milk,3/4 cup grated cheese
1 small onion grated1/4 teaspoon mustard
1 tablespoon flour
Mix mustard and flour with a little milk.
Add to other ingredients already in the pot and mix well.
Cook altogether until mixture thickens (cheese melted).
Stir regularly or it might burn to bottom of pot.(LOTS OF SCRUBBING IF IT
BURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Spread onto thin sliced bread and roll up.
This mixture should do a whole loaf - don't spread too thickly.

i'd much prefer proper milk. i made these in london about a month ago for a new zealand party. some other new zealanders from up north were like "WHAT ARE THESE?!"

anne1955, Mar 30, 9:11pm
It's just a shame that no one seems to make the real nice thin bread that use to be made in DN by Laurensons (sp) Bakery I don't like making them with the sandwich bread we get now and I have asked both here in NZ and in AU and they don't do the cut now thin enough for me..:( and as for rolling the bread to make it thinner..still doesn't cut the mustard :( and I loved my sandwhich's made of this as well..is there anywhere in NZ that makes a truley thin cut bread?