Ultimate Cheese Roll recipe as TV 1 news 6/07/2010

Page 2 / 2
maynard9, Jul 7, 9:39pm
Think it depends who you know rather than where you have ived as to whether you have been 'exposed' to these delights. I have been making them for over 30 years and never lived in the sth of Sth. Lived in Blenheim for a while but was already making them then. When I moved to both Pukekohe and later Whangarei I introduced my fellow young Mums to them - and now after 10yrs in Palmerston North a few more freezers are lined with them. I make 2 batches at a time. 1 for us and 1 for sons flat. I freeflow them on trays then put into the large snaplock bags. I leave the crusts on. Sons flat always request the 'deluxe' model as they call it. Extras of cooked streaky bacon diced and small tin crushed pineapple. Hubby and I happy with the original. I don't add the cream - think there is enough to go on the hips as it is with that amount of cheese. I too use my sandwich press. So much quicker than grilling and you don't have to turn them.

neil_di, Jul 7, 10:32pm
#JEEZA# dont worry about 3 fold . . just roll and flatten slightly. . Cheers

neil_di, Jul 7, 10:34pm
#MAYNARD# Hips and cheese rolls should never be mentioned in the same sentence! ! ! !

harrislucinda, Jul 7, 11:28pm
I havehadthisrecipeforyearsneverknewitwouldbeawinnerbutcanjustspreadontoastandgrill

maynard9, Jul 8, 1:15am
Hehe - yes I know what you mean... ... ... ... ... ... . . I have been cursed by some friends in the past come to think of it.

When we biked the Otago Rail Trail a lot of the food places had them. Didn't feel the slightest bit guilty having them then as I knew I would sure work them off!

wron, Jul 8, 1:46am
Thanks neil_di!

pinkpup, Jul 8, 7:16am
I made em . . very yummmy :D

rosemaryp, Jul 8, 11:26pm
Just made them with Alpine Colby cheese (grated is on special at the supermarket this week LOL). Bread from Brumbys, made a total off 33 rolls. Texture is brilliant for spreading, far better than the receipe I was using. I am not complaining about the taste either, it is NICE.

moetus, Jul 9, 1:18am
the origanal cheese rolls from the little hut coffee bar in dunedin in early sixties didnt have evap milk in them , but the recipe sounds yummy maureen.

waswoods, Jul 9, 1:29am
I don't cut the crusts off but I do find fresh bread is easiest for rolling. I'm an immigrant in the North Island and I've been making them for about four years!

gardie, Sep 7, 4:51am
My recipe is 1 cup water, 1 pkt onion soup, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp curry powder - mix and boil together till thick (not too long) then remove from heat and stir through 2 cups grated cheese.This makes enough to fill one loaf of sliced white bread generously.I cut the crusts off three sides (usually leaving the top one on which is softish).I then roll up from that side, pop then all into a foil or baking paper lined tin then brush generously with melted butter.Bake till brown (can grill to get them quicker).I never turn.

This is quite an economical way to make them and everyone I make them for wants the recipe.

guest_jan_irelan, May 16, 8:15am
I catered for a 60th birthday party recently, and made the cheese rolls using large sandwich white bread and they rolled up well. I live in Tauranga, and saw the story on T.V. one, went to the website and printed the recipe out, and put it in my folder.they were very popular, and they wanted the recipe, it was the first time I'd made them, I made the cheese filling the night before, and it was easy to use and quite spreadable, so thanks for the recipe.