Cheap Baking

Page 3 / 4
buzzy110, Apr 2, 4:59am
Is this your idea of a joke! If so I'm failing to see it. Please explain.

kinna54, Apr 2, 6:34am
I bake with marg as I find it a lot cheaper than butter, and it's perfect. I shop around for specials on flour and sugar, (*pams or home basics brands are fine) I make a lot of biccies: good ol vanilla biscuits keep well and make a lot, also hokey pokey biscuits.I make a lot of scones, pikelets, and muffins*freeze well* for lunches. I find some muesli recipes expensive but the Edmonds chinese chews are yum and not too costly.

marcs, Apr 2, 3:39pm
It is just your basic scone mixture with a lot of cheese in it however cheese is not very cheap. Even though I love Jo Seagar, her recipes can be full of fat or sugar or both which does not impress me. She does love rich food. Wonder what her cholestrol level is like.
Short of saying that, I think I am getting too scared to post on recipes thread now. The original poster asked for cheap baking ideas but did not ask to discuss fat/sugar content. That is not what they are looking for. I think we all have gone off the original topic for this post. I love the recipes thread but of recent it has become very off putting to go look for something without finding disagreements going on in the thread about something that is completely off the topic and not even relevant to what the original poster has asked for. What has happened to asking for something and getting straight answers like the good old days.

willyow, Apr 5, 7:06pm
I was packed off to school ( yes - it was a loooong time ago) witha couple of marmite sandwiches (often brown bread) and an apple or a banana - didn't do me any harm. In this age of obesity, do people really need to load their kids lunch boxes with sugar and fat laden baking? Perhaps learning to live with asimple healthy lunch is to learn a good life skill, and probably great for the family food budget. And I don't think I was dropped off or picked up in acar once - I walked!

lilyfield, Apr 5, 7:34pm
why oh why this awful habit in having to include some baking in lunches?
and while I am at it- this attitude of the tins have to be full at all times. What is wrong with bread and butter? we grew up that sweets were only for special occasions, and there is no one overweight in my family I have to add.

pickles7, Apr 5, 7:51pm
Nothing is cheap, if it ends up in the rubbish bin. My children loved a scrubbed carrot, and a stick of celery, in there lunch boxes. They could choose from many cakes, pastries, and buns.
My thoughts are they don't by there own choice, like sweet stuff.

pickles7, Apr 5, 7:56pm
I think this post ,,,,, irresponsible....

willyow, Apr 6, 7:06pm
I was packed off to school ( yes - it was a loooong time ago) witha couple of marmite sandwiches (often brown bread) and an apple or a banana - didn't do me any harm. In this age of obesity, do people really need to load their kids lunch boxes with sugar and fat laden baking! Perhaps learning to live with asimple healthy lunch is to learn a good life skill, and probably great for the family food budget. And I don't think I was dropped off or picked up in acar once - I walked!

lilyfield, Apr 6, 7:34pm
why oh why this awful habit in having to include some baking in lunches!
and while I am at it- this attitude of the tins have to be full at all times. What is wrong with bread and butter! we grew up that sweets were only for special occasions, and there is no one overweight in my family I have to add.

pickles7, Apr 6, 7:51pm
Nothing is cheap, if it ends up in the rubbish bin. My children loved a scrubbed carrot, and a stick of celery, in there lunch boxes. They could choose from many cakes, pastries, and buns.
My thoughts are they don't by there own choice, like sweet stuff.

pickles7, Apr 6, 7:56pm
I think this post ,,,,, irresponsible.

clarebear19, Apr 23, 6:30am
On the topic of cheap baking ............ I know where to get cheap(ish) flour - Indian shops - they are also great for spices, oils nuts and seeds usually 25 to50% cheaper than supermarkets BUT where do I go for cheap sugar - I use heaps for jams and chutneys

lindylambchops1, Apr 23, 9:36am
"SMOOSH" that is such a great word!LOL

clarebear19, Apr 24, 6:30am
On the topic of cheap baking . I know where to get cheap(ish) flour - Indian shops - they are also great for spices, oils nuts and seeds usually 25 to50% cheaper than supermarkets BUT where do I go for cheap sugar - I use heaps for jams and chutneys

brapbraprx7, Apr 24, 7:10am
chocolate coconut slice and weetbix slice. They are quick, easy and cheap

elliehen, Apr 24, 7:15am
The topping for a pikelet in Aunt Daisy's day was good old golden syrup, and the tip she gave was to mash - 'smoosh' - the butter with the golden syrup before spreading it on the pikelet.

julie_, Jun 5, 2:16am
Great recipes, but I could do without the lectures.Do what you see fit & go post your concerns about obesity, diabetes etc on the health forum!

uli, Jun 5, 2:40am
I think I am a bit worried that the emphasis of this thread is on "cheap" - we all know how to bake or cook "cheap".... "cheap" ingredients are always carbs - starch and sugar.

When baking then it is also margarine instead of butter, and imported stuff instead of locally grown (Indian shops were mentioned before).

There are literally thousands of cheap recipes on the net - but what is wrong to suggest we could do better and give our kids some healthy food rather than just carbs?

My kids lunchbox would include some meatballs or boiled eggs, a small tin of tuna maybe once a week and some vege sticks, a small yoghurt and a piece of fruit in season and then maybe one piece of sweet carby stuff.

I think it is ok to voice that opinion here. Food is one of the biggest part in your health - so why health and cooking are separated into two categories defies me. I would even include gardening here myself!

julie_, Jun 5, 4:34am
Thanks for proving my point.

I don't mind people having an opinion, but when it is used to belittle others & quite frankly act superior it takes all the joy out of it for me & I believe (by the comments I have seen) many others.Please bear this in mind - we want recipes, not health tips!As an adult I am perfectly capable of making decisions for myself.Perhaps the people who want to give such health tips could have their own threads or as suggested tell it the people in health & beauty?I wish recipes had a 'mute' button because these repeated requests to drop the holier than thou attitudes seem to always go unheeded.

If the OP had asked for cheap, healthy recipes - fair enough, but if it isn't stipulated in the OPs question why come in with your own agenda?It is frustrating to say the least!Don't get me wrong, I enjoy healthy food & even health tips when you are looking for them, but its delivery sometimes falls short of polite.Not talking to one person in particular here - there are a few who do it.Please bear in mind that noone likes a lecture!

kinna54, Jun 5, 8:59am
agree with your statement julie 35. I find cheap is what I can purchase weekly on special, then I bake as to what is in my cupboards and what my budget allows. Eggs are on special this week at $3 tray, so this weeks bake may be a bit more eggy based. Carrots last week were 10c kilo, so we enjoyed carrot cake, and carrot steam pudding.(and a freezer full of carrots) I try to keep healthy and not load anyone up with fattening food, but if I enjoy a cake, pudding, or heaven forbid a gluten flour hot buttered scone (the only thing I will eat butter on) I don't want to be ridiculed for it. If it fills a gap, and is nourishing then yep, I'll make it and enjoy, I weigh 65kgs, which I consider healthy for my lil 5ft 4in frame, have no cholestral probs, only medication I take is for hayfever /sinus or my injury pain. (oops sorry! lecture sounding not intentional)
I thank those who post all recipes, I love to look and when able, to try the recipe suggestions. Please keep them coming.
Food has always been my passion, and now that I'm not phsically able to work anymore in a commercial role, I do enjoy sharing my experience in the hopethat I can share some knowledge to help others, I never intend to sound as if I know it all, and hope that it doesn't come thru that I sound holier than thou, it's never intended that way.
May we all continue to enjoy this thread.

lost-in-oz, Jun 5, 10:34am
I see another thread has turned into a no-carb lecture

*rolls eyes*

julie_, Jun 6, 4:34am
Thanks for proving my point.

I don't mind people having an opinion, but when it is used to belittle others & quite frankly act superior it takes all the joy out of it for me & I believe (by the comments I have seen) many others.Please bear this in mind - we want recipes, not health tips!As an adult I am perfectly capable of making decisions for myself.Perhaps the people who want to give such health tips could have their own threads or as suggested tell it the people in health & beauty!I wish recipes had a 'mute' button because these repeated requests to drop the holier than thou attitudes seem to always go unheeded.

If the OP had asked for cheap, healthy recipes - fair enough, but if it isn't stipulated in the OPs question why come in with your own agenda!It is frustrating to say the least!Don't get me wrong, I enjoy healthy food & even health tips when you are looking for them, but its delivery sometimes falls short of polite.Not talking to one person in particular here - there are a few who do it.Please bear in mind that noone likes a lecture!

maggiemay33, Jun 6, 6:22am
I checked this site. It's got some great info on it

pom-pom, Jun 6, 8:28am
peanut butter cookies . I cup peanut butter (crunchy is best) . Just under 1 cup suger. 1 egg. 2 desert spoons cornflour (or rice flour) Mix. Roll into balls and flatten into biscuit shapes. Bake 180 for 15-20 mins untl golden brown. Costs about $1.60 for a large batch and they're gluten free!!

kinna54, Jun 6, 8:59am
agree with your statement julie 35. I find cheap is what I can purchase weekly on special, then I bake as to what is in my cupboards and what my budget allows. Eggs are on special this week at $3 tray, so this weeks bake may be a bit more eggy based. Carrots last week were 10c kilo, so we enjoyed carrot cake, and carrot steam pudding.(and a freezer full of carrots) I try to keep healthy and not load anyone up with fattening food, but if I enjoy a cake, pudding, or heaven forbid a gluten flour hot buttered scone (the only thing I will eat butter on) I don't want to be ridiculed for it. If it fills a gap, and is nourishing then yep, I'll make it and enjoy, I weigh 65kgs, which I consider healthy for my lil 5ft 4in frame, have no cholestral probs, only medication I take is for hayfever /sinus or my injury pain. (oops sorry! lecture sounding not intentional)
I thank those who post all recipes, I love to look and when able, to try the recipe suggestions. Please keep them coming.
Food has always been my passion, and now that I'm not phsically able to work anymore in a commercial role, I do enjoy sharing my experience in the hopethat I can share some knowledge to help others, I never intend to sound as if I know it all, and hope that it doesn't come thru that I sound holier than thou, it's never intended that way.
May we all continue to enjoy this thread.