Cheap Baking

Page 2 / 4
elliehen, Apr 1, 3:06am
Please stay stunned a bit longer - unless your wanting another useless debate about real and non-real foods is an April Fool's joke :)

elliehen, Apr 1, 3:12am
JO SEAGAR'S CHEESE PUFFS

2 cups flour
3 cups cheese (grated tasty)
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
4 tsp baking powder

Mix with spatula and put in 12 mounds on greased tray or baking paper. Put into 250*C and then TURN OFF for ten minutes.

Hot tip:If you have only Edam or Mild cheese, sift 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper with the flour to give a tasty 'bite' to the puffs.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 3:37am
Quite frankly elli, I'm not 100% certain what constitutes cheap these days. Maybe you could cast your eye over this little gem and tell me if it is cheap. Then I'll have a look through my extensive collection and see what else is 'cheap'.

BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING
1 cup Self-raising Flour
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
½ cup Milk
60g Butter - melted
Icing Sugar - for dusting

Sauce
1½ cups Hot Water
2 Tblspns Golden Syrup
30g Butter

Method
Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a 25cm square ovenproof dish
In a bowl, mix together flour, sugar, milk and butter and pour this mixture into a prepared dish
SAUCE - Place all ingredients in a small pan. Stir over a low heat until combined. Carefully pour over the mixture in the dish
Bake for 30 - 35 mins until golden
Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream or ice cream if desired.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 3:39am
Kids Lunch box suggestion. Boiled eggs are delicious, filling and cheap.

elliehen, Apr 1, 3:54am
That's just your idea of a 'cheap' joke - not funny, unless of course you are personally recommending it to the original poster.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 3:58am
Of course I am recommending it to the original poster. I think it is cheap. What is your problem?. I'm not playing any April Fools jokes. I certainly do not think that sugar is a food. Energy can be gotten from hundreds of other foods that haven't been processed. I also think the recipe I posted comes within the parameters of what #1 asked for.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 3:59am
Is this your idea of a joke? If so I'm failing to see it. Please explain.

elliehen, Apr 1, 4:08am
Cheap - yes indeed -a cheap shot, obvious to everyone.

buzzy110, Apr 1, 4:12am
Get over yourself elli. #1 asked for cheap baking and I have posted a recipe that I think is cheap. Your carping on because it comes from me is nasty - bullying even.

kinna54, Apr 1, 5:34am
I bake with marg as I find it a lot cheaper than butter, and it's perfect. I shop around for specials on flour and sugar, (*pams or home basics brands are fine) I make a lot of biccies: good ol vanilla biscuits keep well and make a lot, also hokey pokey biscuits.I make a lot of scones, pikelets, and muffins*freeze well* for lunches. I find some muesli recipes expensive but the Edmonds chinese chews are yum and not too costly.

ruby19, Apr 1, 6:57am
Darlingmole has a great microwave recipe for a choc coconut slice,
not sure which thread it was in but it had butter, flour, brown sugar, oats , coconut, and coco powder, and all it took was approx 8 min in the microwave, A very handy recipe.

elliehen, Apr 1, 8:18am
:))

kinna54, Apr 1, 9:41am
Also when puting fruit *it is so expensive* in lunches, try putting a few slices of something and a yoghurt to dip it in e.g a few apple, bananaor pear slices. To stop them going brown just dip them in fruit juice or apple orlemon juice*ensure that the whole slice is covered* and place in an eazy seal plastic bag. *buy them from the $2 shops. They can also be washed out and re used , or use the little glad containers in lunch boxes, they are ideal.
It is really annoying to open a kids lunch box at the end of the day and find an apple or piece of fruit that has one bite out of and gets wasted.

marcs, Apr 1, 2:39pm
It is just your basic scone mixture with a lot of cheese in it however cheese is not very cheap. Even though I love Jo Seagar, her recipes can be full of fat or sugaror both which does not impress me. She does love rich food. Wonder what her cholestrol level is like.

donna23, Apr 1, 7:54pm
Sugar is NOT diabetic-inducing, as suggested by buzzy110

vintagekitty, Apr 1, 10:37pm
Piklets are great, you can smoosh them together with butter & jam
The edmonds one is easy and I triple the recipe
1 cup flour
1 tsp BP
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk

mix and cook until bubbly then flip. They take less than 10 minutes to make loads.

lx4000, Apr 2, 1:10am
COCONUT LOAF
In a bowl mix together
1.5 cups flour
1.5 tsp bp,
1.5 cups coconut,
1 cup sugar,
1.5 cups milk,
2 tsp vanilla essence.
Bake at 160-180 deg C for an hour or so.
You can add the juice and zest of a couple of lemons with or with out sultanas too.
Devine!
And yip, no eggs and no butter in this one!

lx4000, Apr 2, 1:10am
Cheese Muffins/Puffs
2 eggs
water
1 C Grated Cheese
1 C veggies (I use corn onion with tomato on top)
pinch Salt
2 C Flour
3 tspn BP
1/4 - 1/2 tspn Cayenne Pepper if wished
Break eggs into 1 measuring Cupthen fill with water to make 1 cup, then add another 1 C water. Mix.
Add veggies and cheese then mix.
Stir in salt, flour, cayenne pepper, BP until just mixed.
Spoon into muffin tins.
20 mins approx at 180.

vintagekitty, Apr 2, 3:09am
why is flour sugar raisins not real food! and what is syrup supposed to mean

buzzy110, Apr 2, 3:30am
Are you telling us that you think SUGAR is a food and that it is a REAL FOOD!!OMG. We learn something new every day.

Sugar is a food!That thought just leaves me stunned. I always thought sugar was a non-nutritive, tooth rotting, weight inducing, diabetes inducing, food additive.

elliehen, Apr 2, 4:06am
Please stay stunned a bit longer - unless your wanting another useless debate about real and non-real foods is an April Fool's joke :)

elliehen, Apr 2, 4:12am
JO SEAGAR'S CHEESE PUFFS

2 cups flour
3 cups cheese (grated tasty)
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
4 tsp baking powder

Mix with spatula and put in 12 mounds on greased tray or baking paper. Put into 250*C and then TURN OFF for ten minutes.

Hot tip:If you have only Edam or Mild cheese, sift 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper with the flour to give a tasty 'bite' to the puffs.

buzzy110, Apr 2, 4:37am
Quite frankly elli, I'm not 100% certain what constitutes cheap these days. Maybe you could cast your eye over this little gem and tell me if it is cheap. Then I'll have a look through my extensive collection and see what else is 'cheap'.

BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING
1 cup Self-raising Flour
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
½ cup Milk
60g Butter - melted
Icing Sugar - for dusting

Sauce
1½ cups Hot Water
2 Tblspns Golden Syrup
30g Butter

Method
Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a 25cm square ovenproof dish
In a bowl, mix together flour, sugar, milk and butter and pour this mixture into a prepared dish
SAUCE - Place all ingredients in a small pan. Stir over a low heat until combined. Carefully pour over the mixture in the dish
Bake for 30 - 35 mins until golden
Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream or ice cream if desired.

elliehen, Apr 2, 4:54am
That's just your idea of a 'cheap' joke - not funny, unless of course you are personally recommending it to the original poster.

buzzy110, Apr 2, 4:58am
Of course I am recommending it to the original poster. I think it is cheap. What is your problem!. I'm not playing any April Fools jokes. I certainly do not think that sugar is a food. Energy can be gotten from hundreds of other foods that haven't been processed. I also think the recipe I posted comes within the parameters of what #1 asked for.