Per meal prices ........What is cheap now?

tarshlove, Apr 4, 11:57pm
Was just looking at all the different threads for cheap dinner meals. These days with price hikes due to gst and petrol. What do you now consider a cheap meal for you and your family? Lets assume you have a Family of 4 consisting of 2 adults, a teen and a say 7 yr old. Taking into consideration if you had to buy all the ingredients on a good week (specials) from the super market, fruit shop, bulk foods store etc where ever maybe cheapest. YOP :o)

lilyfield, Apr 5, 12:13am
12$ should cover it.

uli, Apr 5, 12:16am
All depends what you call "a meal".

For me a "meal" is made from normal ingredients: meat, fish, eggs, lots of veges, some fruit and nuts and a bit of dairy.

"Cheap" is - if you base your meal on cheap carbs - which would be rice, pasta, bread, biscuits, cakes or potatoes - with a little bit of protein added and maybe some veges if you got a cheap deal in a supermarket or vege shop.

So really it all has to do with how you want to feed yourself and your family.

Personally I have a big vege garden, lots of trees and some animals - so I have milk, meat, eggs and cheese and fruit and veges and have to only buy whatever else I want (like chocolate) or what I haven't managed to plant in time so I have a gap somewhere.

I would suggest you first try and sort out what you WANT to eat - then we can give advice on what would be cheap sources to obtain that.

tarshlove, Apr 5, 2:20am
Hey Uli, Thus Is very true i know as a mum of an 9 yr old boy and 5.5 yr old gil they love meals with crapy carbs in them. They love a lot of pasta and rice, such as mac n cheese, pasta bake, fettuccine, spag bowl and butter chicken etc it's just an easy go to food for them. I try and limit these meals or add lots of fresh good stuff. I myself cant eat mush of this at all.

Last yr I put in a garden and this has been awesome. As for meat I can't eat a lot of this either. I eat a lot of eggs and chicken etc.

lythande1, Apr 5, 2:43am
I don't know, never really price out the individual meals. I buy meat in bulk 3 or 4 times a year. veges from garden and the cheap vege stalls, ditto fruit. Supermarket -very little really. Flour in bulk, likewise rice, pasta etc. Soy sauce and so on from the cheap place in new Lynn. Often make my own pasta except for bean vermicilli etc.
We had pasties the other night. Cheap and very little meat, as you make your meat and two veg in a parcel. 150grams meat and it made 8. Had some cauli and stuff with it.
I'm doing pickled pork tomorrow, again that will leave lots leftover for us.With lots of veges, haven't decided which yet, carrots, and beans from the freezer or fresh leeks? Um....decide tomorrow. hell, maybe both.
Tonight -grill, little wee mini sausies, tomatoes, mushrooms and some fried up leftover mash.
That's actually fairly extravagant for me, because its a bunch of things grilled, not made into something. making something takes less meat generally.

tarshlove, Apr 5, 11:57pm
Was just looking at all the different threads for cheap dinner meals. These days with price hikes due to gst and petrol. What do you now consider a cheap meal for you and your family! Lets assume you have a Family of 4 consisting of 2 adults, a teen and a say 7 yr old. Taking into consideration if you had to buy all the ingredients on a good week (specials) from the super market, fruit shop, bulk foods store etc where ever maybe cheapest. YOP :o)

lilyfield, Apr 6, 12:13am
12$ should cover it. i read 4 adults. sorry make that 10 dollars at the most.

uli, Apr 6, 12:16am
All depends what you call "a meal".

For me a "meal" is made from normal ingredients: meat, fish, eggs, lots of veges, some fruit and nuts and a bit of dairy.

"Cheap" is - if you base your meal on cheap carbs - which would be rice, pasta, bread, biscuits, cakes or potatoes - with a little bit of protein added and maybe some veges if you got a cheap deal in a supermarket or vege shop.

So really it all has to do with how you want to feed yourself and your family.

Personally I have a big vege garden, lots of trees and some animals - so I have milk, meat, eggs and cheese and fruit and veges and have to only buy whatever else I want (like chocolate) or what I haven't managed to plant in time so I have a gap somewhere.

I would suggest you first try and sort out what you WANT to eat - then we can give advice on what would be cheap sources to obtain that.

tarshlove, Apr 6, 2:20am
Hey Uli, Thus Is very true i know as a mum of an 9 yr old boy and 5.5 yr old gil they love meals with crapy carbs in them. They love a lot of pasta and rice, such as mac n cheese, pasta bake, fettuccine, spag bowl and butter chicken etc it's just an easy go to food for them. I try and limit these meals or add lots of fresh good stuff. I myself cant eat mush of this at all.

Last yr I put in a garden and this has been awesome. As for meat I can't eat a lot of this either. I eat a lot of eggs and chicken etc.

lythande1, Apr 6, 2:43am
I don't know, never really price out the individual meals. I buy meat in bulk 3 or 4 times a year. veges from garden and the cheap vege stalls, ditto fruit. Supermarket -very little really. Flour in bulk, likewise rice, pasta etc. Soy sauce and so on from the cheap place in new Lynn. Often make my own pasta except for bean vermicilli etc.
We had pasties the other night. Cheap and very little meat, as you make your meat and two veg in a parcel. 150grams meat and it made 8. Had some cauli and stuff with it.
I'm doing pickled pork tomorrow, again that will leave lots leftover for us.With lots of veges, haven't decided which yet, carrots, and beans from the freezer or fresh leeks! Um.decide tomorrow. hell, maybe both.
Tonight -grill, little wee mini sausies, tomatoes, mushrooms and some fried up leftover mash.
That's actually fairly extravagant for me, because its a bunch of things grilled, not made into something. making something takes less meat generally.