Soups - easy nice and cheap

courtney2004, May 18, 5:49am
What soup do you like? I can do a vegie soup... - a bit tired of that tho and also can do a corn chowder but takes milk etc so does not last that long. I want to make a soup that we can have at lunch time for the week (we are at home (run 3businesses from home offices) so something that we can toss into the microwave or something would be fab (just as a reheat).

gaspodetwd, May 18, 5:51am
I make a quick chicken and sweecorn soup - which we have at lunch - and it only takes 5 minutes. We also have french onion soup - takes about 20.
otherwise - make it the PM before - and cook on high in the crockpot. Do you want any recipes?

courtney2004, May 18, 5:52am
recipes would be fab! not so into the onion soups, tomato soups. Meatless would be fab as we are farmers also so always have meat at evening (don't want to give the boys another reason to have meat! ! ! )

gaspodetwd, May 18, 5:56am
Well our fave IS the french onion - as it is beefy - and we eat with cheese on toast!
However - the chicken and sweecorn one - is 1/2 litre of chicken stock (use leftover from a roast or a decent quality one)- with 1 can creamed corn. 5 drops sesame oil and a glug of soy sauce. 2 finely chopped spring onions. heat without boiling.
You can add leftover shredded chicken or stir through some egg white if you have any to use up!

kclu, May 19, 9:16am
The quick French onion soup recipe please gaspodetwd?

gaspodetwd, May 19, 9:32am
thinly slice about 4 onions and fry off gently in 2 tsp olive oil. After about 3-4 minutes add 1 tbsp brown sugar and reduce heat to really low. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add a splash of brandy (if you have any)and boil off then add 1 litre beef stock. I use the stock from a joint - or the cooking liqour from a beef joint done in a stock pot. You can use fresh bought stock. Season and put lid on- simmer for about 10 minutes. Best eaten with cheese on toast! Takes about 20 minutes.

ruby19, May 19, 7:28pm
Courtney as for keeping the soup, buy some of those cheap containers at the supermarket and freeze portion sized meals, that`s what I usually do. Then I make a few different soups up and pop into the freezer for quick easy meals.
My fav`s are split pea soup, by 101 cookbooks, it`s vegetarian.
My mexican tortilla soup, basically toms, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, veg stock, tin of black beans, corn, topped with sour cream, grated cheese, chili sauce and diced avo, & baked matchstick sized, crispy, tortillas, the families favourite. You could add shredded chicken to this I suppose. Alison Holts thai pumpkin soup is good, also their sweetcorn chowder. Our family love soup, and itis often on our menu.

ferita, May 19, 8:01pm
Mushroom soup is great.
Brown some slice onions in a big potwith heaps of butter and add the mushrooms . . brown them till cooked out and throw in a few heaped spoons of flour mix in to form a sort of roux. Add whatever stock you want to this (chicken, beef or vege). Season to taste

herika, May 19, 8:04pm
bump - good thread :)

bo0tsey, May 19, 8:28pm
Use the King Soup mixes and add in whatever you like, bacon, chicken, ham, potato, pumpkin, kumara, carrot, zucchini, creamed corn chilli flakes, you can either cube the vegies or grate them if you don't want it chunky I've got some left over for lunch today!

elliehen, May 20, 12:16pm
What about a hearty winter minestrone?

greerg, May 25, 9:45am
I love minestrone and always make a big pot so I can freeze some for work lunches and you can vary the vegetables according to what you have.
1 cup haricot beans soaked overnight, 1 can tomatoes, 2 tbspns butter, 2 each diced potatoes, carrots, stalks of celery, and courgettes, 4 rashers of bacon diced, 10 cups beef stock, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, ½ cabbage minus the thick white parts sliced very finely, 1 large onion diced, ½ cup dried pasta, 2 stalks celery diced, salt and pepper, 1 teasp each basil and oregano, ⅔ cup white wine (optional), 5 tbspns tomato paste, 2 tbspns or more basil pesto (optional). Lightly fry onion, garlic, and bacon. Combine with beans, tomatoes, vegetables and stock and boil 1½ hours. Add macaroni and cook another 10 minutes. Add wine and pesto at end. Better the next day. Garnish with parmesan.