Rice pudding

the-lada-dude, Jun 23, 1:39am
this was a common dessert for us commoners back when i was a kid. i, m sure mum used short grain rice. i just can, t seem to buy it any where! am i right or wrong? any yummy recipies. nutmeg and raisans spring to mind.

cookessentials, Jun 23, 1:53am
Yes, short grain rice and yes, it is hard to find. Some people suggest arborio rice, but i dont find it as nice as the short grain, however, no doubt I will be corrected. New World will often have it and you MAY have luck at a Binn Inn store. I place rice into baking dish and add milk ( a little sugar to your taste) dot with 2-3 knobs of butter and bake slowly at about 160C. As it cooks and thickens, give it a stir and add a can of evaporated milk - this gives it a lovely creamy taste. You can add sultanas if you like them too and yes, a sprinkle of nutmeg is always nice. The trick of a creamy rice pudding is the slow cooking and a good creamy milk. By adding the evaporated milk, it gives it a taste like the tinned English "Ambrosia" rice which is delicious.

ttwisty, Jun 23, 1:54am
try arborio rice this is short grain

petal1955, Jun 23, 4:39am
Medium grain rice will do Sun White label I think at PNS

the-lada-dude, Jun 23, 4:44am
thanks you all.

lindi4, Jun 23, 5:12am
Made it in the crockpot with long grain rice and nothing wrong with it.

kandi_gurl, Aug 31, 8:09pm
I made one on saturday night with medium grain rice was great, can't get short grain anymore looked everywhere, like creamota GONE! ! !