Yorkshire Pudding

fisher, Feb 5, 3:47am
Yorkshire Pudding
Pre heat oven to 220c
This dish was originally cooked in a tin under the rotating spit on which roast beef was cooking The juices from the meat dripped on to it, giving a delicious flavour. In Yorkshire, it is still cooked around the meat tin and is served as a first course before the meat and vegetables.
Ingredients:
Lard - a little, melted for each pudding.. 110gplain flour.. 1 Large egg..300 ml milk..1/3 tsp salt
Method:
Place the flour in a bowl, then make a well in the centre and break in the egg. Add half the milk and, using a wooden spoon, work in the flour. Beat the mixture until it is smooth then add the remaining milk. Beat until well mixed and the surface is covered with tiny bubbles.Let batter mixture rest at least 15 mins.
Put a little lard in individual Yorkshire pudding tins or large muffin tin.Place in oven until the fat is very hot and bubbling...
Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 10 to 15 minutes for individual puddings until risen and golden brown....
DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR while cooking or they'll go flat...

lx4000, Feb 5, 7:36am
Your making me hungry for them!!

Roll on winter and roasts!! (I have veggie roast with no meat and gravy cooked with veggie juices!

paghan, Feb 5, 8:22am
we dont wait for winter in this house...lol. I make yorkshire puddings for all my roasts, the kids LOVE them, I make the texas muffin size ones, and they fill with spuds, meat, veges and then heaps of gravy....lol

elliehen, Feb 5, 8:43am
Thanks, fisher :)

fisher, Feb 5, 10:07am
np ellie...:} Yup paghan.. why wait for winter.. ?.. lol... I've actually seen folks make them in med size roasting pans ....huge buggas..:}

nfh1, Feb 5, 8:11pm
We have Yorkshire Pud with chicken, pork and beef!

I don't think it is served as a first course any more fisher - I think that was done many years ago when people could not afford much meat and it was supposed to fill you up.

Although with things the way they are the moment perhaps that will come back.

bunny51, Feb 5, 11:49pm
I think it depends which area you are from as to how it is served.. My family is all from Yorkshire and my parents and grandparents always served Yorkshire pudding first before the roast, where as people from another district have served it with.

mike1364, Jun 7, 7:16am
When I was a kid we had it as a starter on your main and with syrup for pudding,That was our meal of the week.

fee1965, Jun 7, 7:22am
I quite often see this recipe but it has 3 or more eggs???Does 1 egg give enough rise?

kuaka, Jun 7, 10:46am
fee1965 - how much the yorkshire puds rise is all to do with how well you beat the mixture rather than the amount of eggs used.I've never used more than two eggs even when I've made enough to feed a small army, for a normal family I only use one egg.

fee1965, Jun 8, 7:22am
I quite often see this recipe but it has 3 or more eggs!Does 1 egg give enough rise!

kuaka, Jun 8, 10:46am
fee1965 - how much the yorkshire puds rise is all to do with how well you beat the mixture rather than the amount of eggs used.I've never used more than two eggs even when I've made enough to feed a small army, for a normal family I only use one egg.

fisher, Feb 5, 3:47am
Yorkshire Pudding
Pre heat oven to 220c
This dish was originally cooked in a tin under the rotating spit on which roast beef was cooking The juices from the meat dripped on to it, giving a delicious flavour. In Yorkshire, it is still cooked around the meat tin and is served as a first course before the meat and vegetables.
Ingredients:
Lard - a little, melted for each pudding. 110gplain flour. 1 Large egg.300 ml milk.1/3 tsp salt
Method:
Place the flour in a bowl, then make a well in the centre and break in the egg. Add half the milk and, using a wooden spoon, work in the flour. Beat the mixture until it is smooth then add the remaining milk. Beat until well mixed and the surface is covered with tiny bubbles.Let batter mixture rest at least 15 mins.
Put a little lard in individual Yorkshire pudding tins or large muffin tin.Place in oven until the fat is very hot and bubbling.
Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 10 to 15 minutes for individual puddings until risen and golden brown.
DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR while cooking or they'll go flat.

lx4000, Feb 5, 7:36am
Your making me hungry for them!

Roll on winter and roasts! (I have veggie roast with no meat and gravy cooked with veggie juices!

paghan, Feb 5, 8:22am
we dont wait for winter in this house.lol. I make yorkshire puddings for all my roasts, the kids LOVE them, I make the texas muffin size ones, and they fill with spuds, meat, veges and then heaps of gravy.lol

fisher, Feb 5, 10:07am
np ellie.:} Yup paghan. why wait for winter. !. lol. I've actually seen folks make them in med size roasting pans .huge buggas.:}

nfh1, Feb 5, 8:11pm
We have Yorkshire Pud with chicken, pork and beef!

I don't think it is served as a first course any more fisher - I think that was done many years ago when people could not afford much meat and it was supposed to fill you up.

Although with things the way they are the moment perhaps that will come back.