Which is best to use?

antoniab, Jun 19, 1:16am
I want to make banoffee pie tonight but am unsure if I should boil the condensed milk in the can or make a caramel like you do for caramel slice with the butter and golden syrup added to it? Which is better and do they set the same? Planning on doing biscuit base.

norfgurl, Jun 19, 1:18am
I make the caramel in the pan, only cos I find it easier.

For the caramel:
100g (3½oz) butter
100g (3½oz) dark brown soft sugar
397g can Carnation Condensed Milk

place the butter and sugar into a non-stick saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Add the condensed milk and bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously to make the caramel. As soon as it thickens, remove from the heat. Spread the filling over the biscuit base, cool, and then leave to chill for about 1 hour, until firm.

That is the recipe I use

antoniab, Jun 19, 1:21am
Cool thanks, sounds deliciously sickening :)

norfgurl, Jun 19, 1:23am
lol it is, super sweet and gooey! just the way banoffie pie should be lol

horizons_, Jun 19, 11:55pm
Just caramelise the condensed milk in the can and use that. Boil the can in water for an hour and voila you have caramel for banofie pie. No need to add butter or brown sugar.

buzzy110, Jun 20, 12:03am
Are you aware that you can buy caramelised condensed milk already? The manufacturer has done the job for you.

barloo, Jun 20, 2:54am
I personally will never buy the made stuff again. I threw the first tin out and made my own after that!

antoniab, Aug 20, 11:41am
Yeah I am :) But it tastes like crap compared to doing it the other ways I think.