roast help please

steamylee, Feb 15, 2:18am
i can never get the potatos browned and crispy, dp said to try cutting them down the middle long ways instead of short ways but i tried that and it didnt work so can anybody please help?

vinee, Feb 15, 3:09am
There was a thread in general the other day with lots of tips, like roughing up the edges.

Something I'll be trying next time.

aw217, Feb 15, 3:15am
I boil the potatos for about 10 min then drain them, add a splash of balsamic vinegar, and lots of salt and pepper. Put the lid back on and give them a shake to rough up the edges. Put in a roasting dish with hot oil and roast. remember to turn them half way through. good luck!

cappucino1, Feb 15, 3:23am
Getting the fat very hot before putting them in is important.

I always part boil them first and them drain them dry them and coat them in flour. When the flour goes into the hot fat it crisps up nicely.

If you like you can crush up a vegetable stock cube and sprinkle some of that over. It adds a noce flavour and also helps them to crisp up!

cookessentials, Feb 15, 3:27am
I steam the potatoes halves ( usually sliced lengthwise) until i can just get a fork into the outer layers, then drain and dust in a mixture of S&P and plain flour, once coated, shake of excess. Make sure the fat and juices are HOT, then carefully place potatoes into the roasting pan. Roll in the fat and then bake until golden.

dbab, Feb 15, 10:54pm
As above. When you take your meat out to let it rest for 15-20 minutes, turn your oven up to about 200* and switch to Fanbake if you have it. The veges will be crisp when you are ready to dish up your meal.

cgvl, Feb 15, 11:18pm
I cook roast vegies on the rung lower than the meat in a seperate roasting dish. Have found it also pays to be a black coloured one, ashiny aluminum one doesn't work the same.
I leave my veg fairly large compared to some, and put it into hot oven 1 hour before roast due to come out and turn oven to 200C. Also roll veg in oil or dripping and salt it, then after ½ hour I turn the vegies over.

timetable, Feb 15, 11:20pm
i do a mix of oil and a bit of herbed butter - always have lovely crispy spuds - just cut length ways, put into the pan, toss gently in the oil butter mix, and then into oven at about 180 deg - 200 deg - yummmmmmmmmmmm roast vegies! !

ferrit47, Feb 25, 9:36pm
Yes I boil my potatoes till bit soft & then put them in the oven dish with bit of oil in dish & spinkle pepper & salt & Chicken stock over them. They come up really nice.

lythande1, Feb 25, 9:41pm
Don't put them in with the meat.
Cut smaller - they bigger they are, the longer it will take.
Cut into egg sized pieces maximum, drizzle, (don't drench, with oil. Roast for about 35 mins to 1 hour. If not crispy and gold, just leave them longer. You don't need to anything else special at all.
I've used pyrex dishes, aluminium, whatever.
They might stick though, stir often or use a non stick roaster, not one with the yukky coating though.
Don't know why people say you can't do it, think about it, you leave something long enough in the oven and eventually you'll get past golden to black and on fire.
You do need to have the temp up a bit though, I do mine at the end, crank the oven to 220 and remove the meat to the warmer.

maandpa2b, Sep 8, 7:59pm
WOW, I simply put them (raw) in the roasting pan with my meat and all other veg, splash on some Olive Oil, salt and pepper. Cook with your meat and baste with the hot Oil about 1/2 way through. They are perfect (if you are doing a really large piece of meat you may want to just put the veg in for the last hour.