My 12yr son is wanting to be a vegetarian...

Page 4 / 4
esther-anne, Jun 4, 7:17am
I didn't know recipes was so damned entertaining. Only tuned in once before.

I feel that wahinetoa merely asked for some tasty vegetarian dishes for her son and instead has been subject to lectures from all and sundry.

Pity's sake - the boy wants to be vegetarian so let him be. Wahinetoa is right and a bloody good Mum if she supports him thoroughly in this - it could turn out to be a 'phase' or could turn out to be 'whim' - what does it matter as long as his nutritional needs are catered for.

And uli! ! I didn't know you were an expert on just about anything though you tried to be in the low iron thread in the Health section. If what you say in these threads was said in a more humble manner e. g. "in my opinion, or my view on this subject" (instead of what I find is a dictatorial manner)people might read, digest, and cast out what doesn't suit and take on board what they consider to be of value! ! And I am sure you do have some knowledge to offer in some subjects. IMHO!

With apologies to vintagekitty - I have sinned and ventured an opinion! lol!

vintagekitty, Jun 4, 7:22am
hey, its all caring and sharing here! , at least you dont drone and drone on and on and on and on and on like some " experts" lol

siftasam, Jun 4, 7:37am
I'm too lazy to read through all of that, loonies on both sides! My Husband became a Vegetarian at about the same age, (42 now)he did it for pretty much the same reasons as your son. Back in the 70's it was certainly a tricky situation at meal times so he learnt to cook his own meals. He is now an excellent cook. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat meat (go figure! )I have converted him into eating fish though, can't live without fish!

esther-anne, Jun 4, 8:09am
Geez - I don't claim to be an expert on anything except the philosophy of'live and let live'. No point in trying to change others opinions - life experience will do that sometimes and if not it means that you are either comfortable in your own skin anyway - or havenot 'grown' into a finer knowledge of humanity!

ferita, Jun 4, 8:11am
You are a voice of reason.

dantes_auntie, Jun 4, 8:12am
try cooks.com has some good recipes on

vintagekitty, Jun 4, 8:13am
yes, I agree too, I hope poster #1 has found some good recipes posted in your thread ferita

esther-anne, Jun 4, 8:16am
Thanks ferita and vintagekitty - hopefully the maturity and understanding of being quite old! !

illusion_, Jun 4, 8:53am
kids just love barbequed sausages

end of problem

uncleremus1, Jun 4, 9:07am
I'm a vegetarian. I only eat vegetables, or animals that only eat vegetables.

ferita, Jun 4, 9:43am
Thats why there are good vegetarian suasages.
Plus you can make your own
http://vegandad. blogspot.com/2008/03/homemade-sausages.html

hkm11, Jun 4, 10:48am
I dont know why people freak out when someone decides to become a vegetarian. Its not that much of a big deal and they are not going to shrivel up and die.
I have been a vegetarian since I was 2 (yes 2, it is recorded in my plunket book) and am now nearly 30 and I am fine. No one else in my family is vegetarian and my mum never made any seperate meals, I just ate what the family ate minus the meat (she just stopped roasting the veges with the meat etc).
Ive never taken multivitamins and dont really worry about my iron levels usually - although while pregnant and breastfeeding I made sure I got them checked regularly and my midwife was amazed that my iron was fine (I know meat eaters that had to take iron while pregnant).
I have 2 healthy, very bright children, so there has been no negative impact on them from being 'grown' in a vegetarian lol!
OP I wouldnt worry about your son, he will be fine!

ferita, Jun 4, 11:04am
Great Advice.
I have been a vegetarian all my life as well. Its bizarre how these meat eaters seem to feel so threatened by the fact that people dont need meat to be healthy.

cgvl, Jun 4, 11:18am
wahinetoa: A nice recipe that the whole family could enjoy.
Spinach Lattice Pie:
You can make your own pastry using wholemeal flour or I just use a standard bought pastry. Line a deep pie dish with pastry.
In a large fry pan heat 2Tbsp oil and saute 1finely chopped onion and 2 cloves of crushed garlic until softened. Add 500g chopped spinach (or silverbeet) cook gently for 10mins.
allow to cool slightly
In a bowl beat 2 eggs with 250g ricotta (or cottage) cheese, ½tsp nutmeg, ½cup grated parmesan cheese ( or a tasty cheese), add salt and pepper to taste.
Mix the egg mixture into the spinach mix and pour into the pastry.
Put a latice top over the mixture and brush with milk or beaten egg.
bake at 200C for 45-50mins.
I often do not use the pastry and it sets like a self crusting pie. Also use cottage cheese, an ordinary or tasty cheese and substitutesilverbeet for the spinach.
Serve with a salad if desired.

cgvl, Jun 4, 11:23am
I also have 2 tried and true hamburger recipes without meat, both of which are from Sarah Brownes book.
You can't tell they are made without meat.
The above spinach pie recipe is a staple in our household, as is a cauliflower cheese recipe that has sweetcorn and parsley in it and a crumble topping that has chopped almonds, rolled oats and cheese in it as well as flour and marg/butter.

indy95, Jun 4, 9:01pm
Your Spinach Lattice Pie sounds really good, cgvl. Would you mind posting it in the Tasty Vegetarian thread, please ?

indy95, Jun 4, 9:31pm
Ooops, sorry cgvl, I see you have already.

ferita, Jun 5, 8:15am
Then you are not a vegetarian.

nichola_h, Jun 6, 10:52am
I wouldnt worry about it too much - when I first read what you wrote my first thought was that he needs meat, but, then I reminded myself that until I went flatting, I would have had meat literally once or twice a year because my Dad is vegetarian. I never had low iron levels or anything and did heaps of sports and stuff so never had any probs with energy.

kate777, Jun 6, 11:47am
Wow, I'm amazed at all the hatred and derision in this thread!

I've tried most diets in my life, not only to lose weight (at 72kg at my heaviest, I've never been overweight but I'm always interested in all viewpoints and willing to try whatever will give me optimum health. )

I tried low carb and came out with bad breath, constipation, bad skin and feeling like utter crap. Sure I lost 8kg but what price weight loss?

I went back to my normal (no restriction) diet and felt 100% better.

I then read Skinny Bitch (ladies, read it before you dis it) and have been on a vegan diet since then, and have never felt better, great skin, 6kg so far weight loss, no constipation, and more energy than I know what to do with.

Veganism is not for everyone but I know that when I eat more fruit and veges I feel so much healthier for it, so how can this be bad for you?

Encourage your son by teaching him to cook his own vegetarian meals, as others have suggested. It won't hurt the rest of the family to have a couple of veg only meals weekly either.

I personally love vegetable curries made with coconut milk and red curry paste and any veges and cashew nuts you love thrown in. You can then add chicken to the curry after you have taken your son's portion out.

I make meat meals for my partner and guests because I refuse to push my choices onto others, and I make myself the equivalent meal without meat. Tonight my guests had chicken and spinach canneloni and I had roast vege and spinach canneloni.

It's not hard at all, just a little forethought and preparation, and I'm sure your son will help with this if he is that keen not to eat meat.

I also find that adding LSA to my breakfast cereal gets me all my omega minerals that I don't get from fish, so maybe look at that for a start?

Looking at some of the above posts, asking here won't get you the best advice, it will only get you crap from non-vegetarians, but there is some worthwhile advice in there from the open minded souls.

Best of luck to you and your son.

annie.nz, Jul 14, 1:50pm
It would be nice if this sort of thread stayed sensible and didn't degenerate into some sort of ideological flame war for a change.

I second the Holst's books on vegetarian cooking as an excellent place to start - the recipes are constructed using normal NZ ingredients and keep an eye on nutrition, family tastes and overall cost, which is important for most NZ families.