Idiot proof scones... how much

shazza477, May 24, 1:32am
cheese do u put in if you want to make cheese scones and do u add the cheese while mixing with the flour

bronglen, May 24, 1:43am
I usually put 2-3 cups of cheese. Sometimes I put the cheese in with the flour, sometimes right at the end. Depends if I forget to add it lol.

fisher, May 24, 1:47am
Self Raising Flour
Blue top milk
2 tsp Baking Powder
Grated Cheese (lots of)
Pinch Salt
Cayenne Pepper

Put all into a bowl. . mix well. . big handfuls onto floured slide. . little grated cheese on top of each. . little dusting of flour on top. . 225c preheated oven about 15 odd mins. . (till nice and golden brown). . add bucket of butter to insides while still warm and devour. .

elliehen, May 24, 2:14am
I often add the cheese (or the dried fruit) in with the liquid. When you're mixing quickly, sometimes dry flour sticks and doesn't combine fully (same when mixing muffins).

And because dried fruit sucks up liquid from your recipe, Alison Holst recommends 'plumping' fruit like sultanas in water while you're doing the first part of a recipe.

lindaquinn, Sep 2, 11:21pm
This thread is constantly referred to as a source of a good scone recipe. But there is no quanities !

I can't open the links to TM cooks and are getting mighty hungry

twinsforus, Sep 3, 3:06am
I make the above recipe all the time, but I don't add the egg in anymore....still works perfectly!!

macandrosie, Sep 4, 8:29am
The only thing I would say with scones is to work quickly with the ingredients. Use a knife to cut in butter, milk & cheese. Have mixture moist. Do not knead to death, work quickly & lightly with mixture, better to be more damp than dry. Make sure oven is right temperature when scones go in. I also place them quite close together on the oven tray as it helps keeos the sides softer.

nik12, Sep 5, 3:49am
I discovered they're not quite idiot proof yesterday.They smelt so good, a bit of onion, bacon and cheese - however remembering the baking powder if your not using selfraising flour is a must for fluffy scones ;-)
They still tasted good though with the soup.

bronglen, May 24, 1:43am
I usually put 2-3 cups of cheese. Sometimes I put the cheese in with the flour, sometimes right at the end. Depends if I forget to add it lol.

fisher, May 24, 1:47am
Self Raising Flour
Blue top milk
2 tsp Baking Powder
Grated Cheese (lots of)
Pinch Salt
Cayenne Pepper

Put all into a bowl.mix well.big handfuls onto floured slide. little grated cheese on top of each. little dusting of flour on top. 225c preheated oven about 15 odd mins. (till nice and golden brown). add bucket of butter to insides while still warm and devour.

elliehen, May 24, 2:14am
I often add the cheese (or the dried fruit) in with the liquid.When you're mixing quickly, sometimes dry flour sticks and doesn't combine fully (same when mixing muffins).

And because dried fruit sucks up liquid from your recipe, Alison Holst recommends 'plumping' fruit like sultanas in water while you're doing the first part of a recipe.

boots9, Aug 16, 10:22pm
Just found this thread a made broccoli and cheese scones for the kids. omg fantastic!

wendalls, Aug 17, 10:30am
Edmonds cookbook recipe has never failed me, even with pre-schoolers helping at Playcentre! (Mind you I dont do cheese ones.yummy sultanas or dates instead!) People often comment on how good they are.

wheelz, Aug 17, 11:19am
I reckon this idiot proof scone is not a scone but more a cake. texture is all wrong for a real scone.

pickles7, Aug 17, 11:51pm
Pull apart Cheese and onion. Scones.

4 cups of flour,
1 tsp salt,
2 tsp baking soda,
4 tsp cream of tartar,

200grams of grated cheese,
1/2 a medium onion very finely chopped,
1 egg,
100 grams of melted butter,
1 and 1/2 cups of milk, may need a little more

Sift all the dry ingredients,
melt the butter,
beat the egg in a measuring jug,
add the melted butter,
then milk to make up to 2 cups of liquid
add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients ,
mix lightly, adding more milk so the mixture is not crumbly at all,
I tip my scones straight out onto a floured baking tray.
I cut them on the tray, using a wet knife
I sprinkle more grated cheese over the top,
bake 15-20 minutes in a 250%C oven.

rainrain1, Aug 17, 11:53pm
I thought they were terrible blimin' things.definately not idiot proof either lol

zirconium, Sep 1, 9:37am
Thank you for this recipe. :) - Just made 8 HUGE scones as above, only change was 2 cups of frozen chuck wagon corn (watties: onions, capsicum, carrots, corn and a few peas, instead of just the onion.) :) - seriously scummy!

jensone1, Sep 1, 10:13am
x1
Lemonade and cream scones fool proof

4cups SR Flour300 ml Cream
1 can lemonade
1 tsp salt.
1/2 cup sugar

Add cream and lemonade to dry ingredients mix quickly with knife, roll and and cut into 12 scones, bake close together at 230c for 10-12 mins can brush with milk.
do a fruit version adding cup sultanas just as good

pickles7, Sep 1, 10:30am
They would have been scrummy.

alig65, Sep 1, 8:02pm
I use self raising flour instead of plain in the Edmonds recipie, add a couple of extra tsps of Baking Powder and mix in butter etc in my whizz for a sucessfull scone. A pkt of onion sup mix into cheese scones add a bit of omph and easier than chopping onions finely and no tears!