POTATOES

Page 1 / 7
cookessentials, Sep 8, 9:23pm
They sound interesting lynja, would not have thought of using soy sauce.

cookessentials, May 20, 4:30am
For those of you who love potatoes, how about adding some of your favourite potato recipes... . it could be anything from a potato chocolate cake, to scalloped potatoes. . what ever you like!
I will start the ball rolling with "Pam's Creamy Potatoes" which, I must say are very very tasty.

25g butter, melted;1 clove garlic, crushed;1/4 tsp nutmeg;2 cups grated tasty cheese; 1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly;2 eggs, lightly beaten;1x 300ml carton cream;1 cup milk;1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs;fresh herbs to garnish.
combine melted butter, garlic and nutmeg in a bowl. Brush a shallow oven proof dish with half the butter mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese over the base and layer the potato slices. Combine remaining butter mix, eggs, cream and milk in a jug and pour gently over potato slices. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs ( I dont usually bother with the breadcrumbs) Bake in hot oven - 200C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. (Cover with foil if top becomes too brown.

cookessentials, May 20, 4:49am
SPICY ALOO(spicy potatoes)

500 g small potatoes
1/4 tsp asafetida powder - from Spice Traders
1 tsp cumin seeds 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp dry coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
2 tblsp oil
2 large onions
2 medium size tomatoes
5 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger.

How to make Spicy Aloo:
First make a paste of onions, garlic and ginger in a grinder.
Heat oil in a deep wok and add this paste.
Fry till it becomes golden in color.
Grind the tomatoes and add to this paste of onion.
Fry till it is thoroughly mixed and simmer the heat
Now add in all the spices and mix well.
Keep stiring and cook till you can see oil being separated from the paste.
Make sure that it does not stick to the bottom.
Now peel and chop the potatoes in large pieces.
Add water to the paste in the wok to form a curry and put in the potatoes.
Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes or till the potatoes are tender.
Keep checking in between to see whether the curry is sufficient and is not getting stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Once done, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with chapattis.

indy95, May 20, 5:38am
Not absolutely sure, but I think this is a Ruth Pretty recipe. Anyway, wherever it came from it's worth making:-

Lemon Potato Wedges with Oregano

1. 6 kg large potatoes, peeled ( use Agria or Desiree )
250 ml water
125 ml lemon juice
125 ml olive oil
3 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
1 tbsp flaky sea salt

Preheat oven to 220C. Cut each potato into large wedges. Put wedges in a non-reactive baking dish, add all other ingredients and toss well together.

Bake uncovered for 30 mins then turn over, adding a little more water if the liquid has evaporated. Lower heat to 180C and bake a further 45 mins or until tender and browned. Serve immediately.

mvo, May 20, 5:51am
Pesto potatoes

Ingredients
• 6 large potatoes
• 1 large leek
• 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
• 125g lite cream cheese (5% one works fine)
• 120g tub basil pesto
• 1½ cups chicken stock
• 1 cup grated mozzarella, parmesan or cheddar cheese
• salt and freshly ground pepper
Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Slice the peeled potatoes very thinly.
3. Layer a quarter of the potatoes, leek and garlic into a medium sized roasting dish.
4. Season lightly with salt and pepper then repeat the layer.
5. Distribute the cream cheese and basil pesto over the potatoes – they just have to be roughly spread.
6. Place two more layers of the potatoes, leek and garlic on top, seasoning between each layer and ending with mostly potato on top.
7. Warm the stock in the microwave and pour over.
8. Top with the cheese.
9. Cover tightly with tin foil.
10. Bake, covered, at 190°C for 25 minutes, then, remove foil and bake for a further 20 minutes or so until potatoes are cooked.

Notes
Source: Allrecipes.com, I think… was originally a chicken dish, with onion in it, but it has morphed a lot! Quantities are very forgiving - I often use 2 leeks, and a bigger tub of pesto, more spud, or whatever.
Cooking time may vary greatly – it depends on the type of potato used - I generally use Agria

eastie3, May 20, 5:52am
Cath's Crispy Spuds

4 x large potatoes, diced
3 x TBS dark soy sauce
3 x TBS oil
juice of a lemon

Mix together and place in a sprayed shallow oven dish. Grind some black pepper over the potatoes.

Bake until soft, about 40 mins. Turn the oven up to 200C to crisp for the last 10mins of cooking time. Serves 4 - 6 as a side dish.

mvo, May 20, 6:00am
Creamy mustard potatoes

Ingredients
• 4-5 medium sized potatoes
• 300 mls cream
• 3 heaped teaspoons wholegrain mustard
• Salt and pepper to season
Method
1. Preheat oven to 190°C – aerobake
2. Peel and cube potatoes.
3. Zap in microwave if desired.
4. Mix in other ingredients.
5. Bake for 25 mins or until cooked - stirring a few times
Notes
Source: Can’t remember…must become more meticulous about recording sources. .
Can use lite cream, if doubling the recipe I use 300mls of lite cream and 300 mls of the proper stuff - nobody notices ;)
Very nice served with steak or good sausages.

eastie3, May 20, 6:12am
Hi mvo, I like your recipe for creamy mustard potatoes.
Is aero bake like fanbake ?

martine5, May 20, 6:29am
Hi Pam, this reminds me that I am trying to do some curry dishes for an indian guest we have with us. He is vego have done, tomato and chickpea, potato and spinach, eggplant and mushroom, another one with carrots and kumera, I am hopeful you will have more that you wouldn't mind sharing, iv'e searched curry but a lot are thai or meatbased and because i'm a bit of a food snob I want yours...

martine5, May 20, 6:32am
Jill Duplex's Smash Hot Potatoes, basically you boil potatoes until they can be pierced with a skewer but are still firm. Crank up your grill and line a baking tray with paper. Pop on your potatoes and squash them a bit with a masher then season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil and leave under the grill(turning occasionally) until they get all crispy and delish, you can also add carraway seeds or a bit of chilli to them.

mvo, May 20, 7:48am
Hi eastie3,
Yes areobake is fanbake - it is just what my F&P oven calls it :)

cookessentials, May 20, 8:18am
Hi Martine, I do have a couple of Indian cookbooks, so shall see what else I can find for you.

korbo, May 20, 8:24am
friend always boils her spuds, and adds 1 teaspn chicken stock. gives them a nice taste. thanks for all the other recipes, some great tasty one there.
the spud has a whole new look now

kirinesha, May 20, 8:28am
I don't eat this sort of stuff (carbs) anymore BUT I can vouch for this dish - it is truly stunning! The best dinner party potato dish I've ever come across (my guests adored this! ):

POTATO TORTE

• 1½ kg waxy Potatoes
• 750 ml crème fraiche
• 1 head Garlic broken into cloves, peeled, and minced
• 1 large bunch Parsley chopped fine
• Salt & Pepper
• 500 g Puff pastries (2 sheets)
• 1 egg, lightly beaten

- A day before making the dish, boil the potatoes whole in their skins until tender. Rinse under cold water, and set aside to cool completely, then cover and refrigerate.

- Stir together the crème fraîche, garlic, and parsley.

- Season generously with salt and pepper.

- Cover and refrigerate overnight.

- About an hour before eating, heat the oven to 400°F/200°C.

- Slice the potatoes into neat ¼-inch/5 mm rounds.

- Roll one sheet of the pastry into an 11-inch/28 cm circle and lay it on a greased baking sheet.

- Leaving a 1-inch/2. 5 cm margin all around, cover with an overlapping layer of potato slices.

- Season with salt and pepper.

- Spread over a layer of the cream mixture.

- Repeat the layering, tapering in a bit as you go, until all the potatoes and cream have been used and the end result looks like an upside-down double-crusted pie.

- You should have about three layers each of potato and cream.

- Roll the second pastry sheet into a 12-inch//30 cm circle and drape it over.

- Line up the edges and roll the bottom pastry margin up over the top one to seal, scalloping as you go all the way around.

- Brush the torte all over with the egg and decorate the surface with the tines of a fork, if you like.

- Cut an opening about the size of a quarter in the top to let the steam escape during baking.

- Bake 10 minutes.

- Turn the oven down to 375°F/190°C and continue baking until hot through and the pastry well browned, about 25 minutes.

- If the torte starts browning too much, lay a piece of foil loosely on top.

- Remove from the oven and slice onto a large serving plate.

- Cut into wedges and serve with green salad as a main course

indy95, May 20, 10:13pm
Masala Potatoes

2 onions
4 cloves garlic
3 cm piece fresh root ginger
1 kg potatoes ( Agria or Desiree would be suitable )
Oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder ( or to taste )
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp salt
300 ml natural yoghurt
Paprika

Peel and chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Wash the potatoes and cut into 3 cm pieces. Either heat oil in a deep fryer and cook the potato chunks until golden brown or roast them in oil in a hot oven until done. When they are cooked drain well on kitchen paper.

Blend together the cumin, coriander, garam masala, onions, garlic and ginger, or crush together using a pestle and mortar. Combine until as smooth as possible, adding water if necessary.

Heat a little oil in a pan, add the masala paste and cook gently for about 5 minutes, then add the chilli, turmeric and salt and cook for another minute. Pour in the yoghurt and add the potatoes, stirring well. Cook for about 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated through. Serve sprinkled with paprika.

indy95, May 20, 10:28pm
Digby Law's Spiced Potato Cake

" A moist, rich cake which keeps very well "

100g butter
1 c caster sugar
1/2 c warm cooked and sieved potato
50 g melted dark chocolate
2 eggs
3/4 c plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of salt
1/2 c chopped blanched almonds
1/4 c milk

Grease and flour a 20 cm cake tin. Preheat oven to 190C.

Cream the butter, sugar and potato together very well. Beat in the chocolate, then the eggs.

Fold in the dry ingredients which have been sifted together with the almonds and the milk. Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour, covering cake if it is browning too fast.

Can be left plain or iced with chocolate butter icing.

eastie3, May 21, 1:55am
An old nurses home favourite. Good as a side dish or a light meal.

Oakhill Potatoes
5 x med potatoes, cooked and diced.
1/2 tsp salt
3 x TBS butter
2 x TBS flour
2 x c milk

Make a white sauce, cooking the flour well.

Combine the cold potatoes, 2 x hard boiled eggs, a small finely chopped onion, 2 x rashers of cooked bacon and salt and pepper. Add white sauce and mix to combine, and turn into a greased oven dish.

Melt 1 x TBS butter and combine with 1/2 c breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the potatoes.

Bake at 180C for about 30mins.

cookessentials, May 24, 9:47am
for fisher to add his recipe with the Jersey Benes please

fisher, May 24, 10:20am
Creamed horseradish potatoes
Jersey Bennies. . skin on. .
Mayo, sour cream, fresh very fine chopped chives from garden, sugar, salt, black pepper, homemade horseradish sauce and white wine vinegar all mixed together in serving bowl. . then add boiled jersey bennies and stir thru to coat, "lightly" crush spuds with masher and gently "fold"...

fisher, May 24, 10:25am
Herbed stuffed Spud. .
Prick a nice sized round spud with a toothpick a few times. . Into bowl, add a little water and microwave spud until 2/3rd cooked. .
cut the top off (save) and with a teaspoon scoop out the insides of the spud ensuring you dont break the outer skin. . now mix in to the spud some herb butter using parsley, chives whatever and then addsome sour cream or cream cheese, crushed fresh garlic. . Mix/mash all together with the spud. . refill the spud cavity with the mix and replace lid on top with wet toothpicks. . Olive oil, salt, into oven to bake...
Some bacon pre fried chopped up and added to the mix. . maybe a little spring onion, maybe some grated cheese. .
Make it as tasty as you want. . using whatever herbs you have available, with fresh being best...

indy95, May 24, 11:22pm
Potato Scones

250g dry mashed potato
1 T butter
Salt and pepper
1/4m- 1/2 c plain flour
Chopped parsley, chives or spring onions ( optional )

Mix potato, butter and seasoning together, then add enough flour to mix to a soft dry consistency. Stir in chopped herbs if using.

Knead on a lightly floured board then cut into 6 to 8 pieces.

Cook in a lightly greased pan over medium high heat until browned then turn to brown other side.

Can be served spread with butter or with bacon and eggs for brunch.

cookessentials, May 26, 2:12am
Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

1 kg desiree potatoes
2 tablespoon olive oil
40g butter
5 sprigs rosemary
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled

Preheat oven to 200°C

Peel potatoes. Cut into large chunks.

Place in a pan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Drain and pat dry.

Place olive oil and butter in a roasting dish. Place in the oven to melt. Add the dried potatoes. Shake to coat in the oil mixture. Add the rosemary and garlic. Roast for 45- 55 minutes or until browned and crisp, turning occasionally.

cookessentials, Jun 1, 10:24pm
TWICE BAKED POTATOES

Ingredients
4 large baking potatoes
8 slices bacon
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
8 spring onions sliced, divided

Preheat oven to175 degrees C.
Bake potatoes in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep frypan. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
When potatoes are done allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; save skins. To the potato flesh add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 the spring onions. Mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Top each with remaining cheese, green onions and bacon.
Bake for another 15 minutes

cookessentials, Jun 14, 10:11pm
POTATO STACKS
500 gmwaxy potatoes (about 3)
40 gmbutter, melted
1 tbspolive oil
1 tbspthyme leaves

Preheat oven to 180C. Thinly slice potato with a mandolin and arrange slices in a single layer, slightly overlapping, to form eight 10cm-diameter circles. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Combine butter and oil in a bowl and brush over potato, season to taste and scatter with thyme leaves. Continue layering potato slices, brushing with butter, scattering with thyme and seasoning until all potato slices have been used. Roast until golden (30-40 minutes),

cookessentials, Jun 14, 10:17pm
potato and bacon gratin

1 tbspsunflower oil
150 gmbacon, thinly sliced widthways
2onions, thinly sliced
1. 5 kgpotatoes
2eggs, separated, plus 1 egg yolk
250 ml (1 cup)cream
100 gmunsalted butter, coarsely chopped

Heat sunflower oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, add bacon and saute until golden (about 5 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to an absorbent paper-lined plate. Reduce heat to low, add onion to pan and saute until caramelised (about 15 minutes). Set aside.
Peel potatoes and coarsely grate. Place in a colander and wash in several changes of water. Place in a clean tea towel and squeeze dry.
Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly whisk yolks and combine with potato, bacon, onion and cream in a large bowl and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Whisk eggwhites to firm peaks, then gently fold through potato mixture. Spoon mixture into a well greased 2 litre-capacity baking dish and scatter over butter. Bake until golden (about 50-60 minutes) and serve immediately.