MEAT

Page 2 / 6
cookessentials, Jun 1, 4:04am
I have actually just looked at your site, albeit briefly and find that there is a recipe that I have posted AND a link to me through my shop AND Trademe! ! - you have NOT asked my permission to do this and nor do I have anything to do with your site so why are my details there?

cookessentials, Jun 1, 4:10am
In fact, you have copy and pasted this from the recipe section on our website - you might like to check out the copyright info on our site and perhaps remove what you have posted on your site thanks.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 1, 4:20am
Hm, that's a bit rough on you Cookessentials!

cookessentials, Jun 1, 4:24am
not at all BJ- I am sure they are trying to be helpful, but putting the link here is against Trademe rules.

bedazzledjewels, Jun 1, 4:40am
Yeah - it's a minefield at times, which is why I forewarned her before someone dobbed her in to TM. Looks an interesting site though.

cookessentials, Jun 1, 10:06pm
BEEF & GUINNESS CASSEROLE

Ingredients 1kg lean blade steak
About 1/4 cup oil for frying
4 onions, peeled and diced (or 16 baby onions or shallots)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
4 Tbsp flour
2 cups Guinness
2 cups beef stock
4 rashers bacon, choppedor you can use pancetta too which gives a great flavour
About 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/4 tsp dried
12-18 dried prunes -pitted preferably
Pared rind 1 orange

Cut the blade steak into 5cm cubes. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat over a moderately high heat until well browned. Transfer to a casserole. This is best done in 2-3 batches.

Add the onions or shallots to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking a further minute.

Sprinkle the flour over and stir well to coat the onions. Gradually pour in the Guinness and beef stock and bring to the boil to make a smooth sauce. Pour over the meat in the casserole and then mix in the bacon, thyme, prunes and orange rind.

Cook at 160°C for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve over mashed potatoes.

dreaming4eva, Jun 2, 1:13am
Thankyou cookessentials, should have a go in doing the chilli con carne from scratch rather than just buying the maggi sachet :) These recipes are making me hungry lol

dreaming4eva, Jun 2, 1:19am
Also thankyou motorbofor the sweet n sour pork :)

cookessentials, Jun 2, 1:22am
you are welcome. you will find a vast difference in taste by doing it fresh from scratch too.

cookessentials, Jun 3, 4:19am
Just bought another beautiful scotch fillet roast for the weekend and some decent chuck steak as I am making Julia Child's Bouf Bourguignon for dinner tomorrow night. I usually do a lovely one by Margaret Fulton, but I really like the look of Julia's one and it has great reviews. Hers is quite a long cooking time ( 5 hours) but it will be beautifully tender I am sure. Found some shallots and a good pinot noir so looking forward to that.

cookessentials, Jun 4, 4:03am
Had a few hors off today so i get get the beef bourguignon done - it is simmering away in the oven while I am back at work. The thick cut bacon cut into lardons and sauteed smelt delicious and it has fresh thyme sprigs, fresh bay and 3 cups oflocal Te Kairanga "run holder" pinot noir in it! Can't wait to taste it tonight.

cookessentials, Jun 5, 1:19am
Well, the Julia Child beef bouguignon was very tasty, I still do like the Margaret Fulton one I do though as it seems to have that "something extra"I am sure Julia must have been drunk when she wrote the recipe as it has about 45 listed instructions in her method LOL some of which i did not even bother with. However, it was very tasty and the chuck steak was melt in the mouth.

toadfish, Jun 7, 6:57pm
LAMB PARCELS

500g Lamb (they said fillets I am using lamb leg steaks cut into cubes) 3 Tablespoons of Olive oil ( will use less), 2 small onions, sliced, 2 slender eggplants cut diagonally into thin slices (not in this house lol) 1 Packet of filo, 1/4 cup extra olive oil (I will use a fine spray of olive oil), 100g Feta or Baloumi cheese (we have feta) 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary.

1/. Preheat oven to 180 deg, trim meat of excess fat & sinew. Heat 1 tablespoon (I will use less) of the olive oil in a frying pan, add onions and cook over medium heat for 4 mins or until soft stirring occasionally. Transfer onions to a plate, add 1 T olive oil to the pan and cook eggplant slices for 2 mins each side until just golden, drain on paper towel.
2/. Heat remaining oil and cook meat in batches over high heat for 1 min until browned. Set aside to cool then slice diagonally in 1 cm slices (I will start with cubes so will miss this step)
3/. Lay a sheet of filo pastry on work surface, short side towards you. Brush lightly with olive oil (I have a spray and will give it a light spray) cover with another sheet, brush or spray with oil, then top with one more sheet. Place lamb in a rectangle pile about 10cm in from the short side of the pastry and 8cm from each edge. Top with onions, eggplant, crumbled feta and rosemary. Fold short end of pastry over filling, fold the 2 long sides inwards and roll into a neat parcel. Brush with oil. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling to make 6 parcels. Bake for 25 mins till golden.

cookessentials, Jun 8, 9:43pm
MINCE AND PASTA BAKE

1 Tbsp oil
500g lean beef or lamb mince
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 courgettes or seasonal green vegetables, chopped
8 button mushrooms, sliced
400g can tomatoes in juice, chopped
2 Tbsp tomato purée
Pinch dried mixed herbs (optional)

For the topping1 cup uncooked macaroni-style pasta shapes
250g pottle cream cheese
1/2 cup cheese, grated

Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the mince well, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks.

Add the onion, green vegetables and mushrooms to the meat and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.

Cook the pasta in boiling water until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Drain well and stir in the cream cheese and 1/2 the grated cheese. Spread evenly over the top of the mince and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Bake at 200°C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown

cookessentials, Jun 8, 9:47pm
HOME MADE MEATBALLS

1 tablespoon olive oil
600g lean beef mince
1 small grated brown onion
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
1/4 cup continental parsley, chopped
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium brown onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
3 tins tomatoes
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup basil leaves

parmesan for serving

Preheat oven to 180°C. In a medium bowl mix the mince, onion, mustard, turmeric, mixed herbs, parsley, breadcrumbs, parmesan and season well. Mould into round meatballs and refrigerate until needed.

In a medium frying pan heat the oil and cook the onion, garlic and chilli flakes for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, breaking up if necessary the herbs and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 5- 10 minutes over a medium heat. Season and stir through basil.

In non stick pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and fry the meat balls for 3- 4 minutes until browned on all sides. Place in an ovenproof dish and spoon over the tomato. Bake for further 20- 30 minutes coating regularly with the sauce. Serve with shaved parmesan

haggisbashed, Jun 9, 1:25am
Hey guys, some fab receipes here, I have writers cramp!

I need a recipe for swan meat - I have a freezer full of swan breast and need to start getting stuck into them. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, have mutton in the freezer too - lots of lamb recipes but anyone got methods for the older mutton variety besides the trusty roast? ?

Thanks.

cookessentials, Jun 9, 2:24am
I guess you could treat the same as duck?

cookessentials, Jun 9, 2:26am
http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&source=hp&q=swan+brea
st+recipe&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=swan+breas&
;gs_rfai=&fp=6883179d3dadcf0

cookessentials, Jun 20, 9:59pm
BEEF & BEAN CASSEROLE

I make this when we are in a rush and want something quick, hearty and filling. It is good if you are on a budget, however, a good premium mince is better as it is less fatty.

2 tbsp butter
750g minced steak
1x onion, finely chopped
1 425g can chopped tomatoes
1 cup hot beef stock ( I use a Maggi beef stock - ix heaped tsp in a cup of boiled water)
125g pasta spirals
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
1 tsp chilli powder ( use less if you prefer)
2tsp Worcestershire sauce ( cant go past Lea & Perrins)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1x can baked beans.

Melt butter in large saucepan or stock pot. Saute your onion and brown the meat, making sure you break it up with a wooden spoon so it is not lumpy. Stir in all the other ingredients except for the baked beans. Add more water if necessary and simmer gently for about 30 mins. I usually pop the lid on at this stage. When meat is cooked and pasta is tender, stir in baked beans and heat through.
This freezes well, so left overs can be popped into the freezer and used as a quick heat up when needed.

3kids3pets, Jun 20, 11:10pm
This is absolutely delicious, My mother gave me the recipe a few years ago and it is always a winner. Its a must try! ! !

cookessentials, Jun 21, 1:58am
thanks for sharing 3kids3pets. I really enjoy meatloaf, especially when the weather is cold and miserable - real comfort food.

cookessentials, Jun 21, 10:55pm
SWEDISH MEATBALLS

Tis recipe has been in our family for many many years and was always my favourite. And YES, I have made it on a number of occasions and it is very tasty.

500g lean minced steak
250g lean minced pork & veal
1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
2 1/2 cups cream
1/2 cup milk
1x onion, finely chopped
90g butter
1x egg, beaten
1/4 tsp ground ginger
salt & freshly ground pepper
nutmeg
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup stock.

Mix meats together. Soak breadcrumbs in a mixture of 1/2 cup cream and the milk. Cook onion in 30g butter until tender but not brown. Combine meats, breadcrumbs, egg and onion and season with ginger/1 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Beat vigorously until very light in texture, then chill. Melt remaining butter in a large frying pan and lightly brown meatballs on all sides, a few at a time. Remove from pan and keep warm in an oven proof dish in a preh-heated oven 150C while making the sauce. Stir flour into fat in frying pan and cook for two mins, stirring. Remove from heat and add stock and remaining cream. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Season with salt pepper and nutmeg and cook over a low heat for about 10 mins or until the sauce reduces ( this is called a cream reduction! ) andthickens. Pour sauce over meatballs and scatter with a little fresh chopped dill if you like. Serve with boiled rice. (Serves 6)

cookessentials, Jul 4, 10:59pm
More meat ideas please.

cookessentials, Jul 5, 9:46pm
CHILLI CON CARNE

This is a goodie, especially for the school holidays, either serve with rice or get the kids to assemble their own nachos or tacos.

2 medium onions (300g), chopped finely
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red capsicum, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground dried chilli / or chilli flakes
1 teaspoons paprika, not smoked
2 teaspoon ground cumin
500g beef mince
1 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup beef stock
425g can diced tomatoes
1 stick cinnamon
425g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano, finely chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
In a large pan, cook onions over a medium heat in olive oil until soft.
Add capsicum, garlic, chilli, paprika and cumin. Cook, stirring until capsicum and garlic soften.

Increase heat and add beef mince, cook; stirring to break up the meat, until mince is well browned. Add tomato paste: cook stirring 30 seconds.

Add beef stock, tomatoes and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, 35-40 minutes. Remove cinnamon.

Add beans, coriander and oregano, stir through, cook further 2-3 minutes.

Season to taste. Serve with steamed rice or use to make nachos or tacos

cookessentials, Jul 7, 3:54am
For someone looking for mince recipes