MEAT

Page 6 / 6
cookessentials, Jun 22, 10:55pm
SWEDISH MEATBALLS

Tis recipe has been in our family for many many years and was always my favourite. And YES, I have made it on a number of occasions and it is very tasty.

500g lean minced steak
250g lean minced pork & veal
1 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
2 1/2 cups cream
1/2 cup milk
1x onion,finely chopped
90g butter
1x egg, beaten
1/4 tsp ground ginger
salt & freshly ground pepper
nutmeg
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup stock.

Mix meats together. Soak breadcrumbs in a mixture of 1/2 cup cream and the milk. Cook onion in 30g butter until tender but not brown. Combine meats, breadcrumbs, egg and onion and season with ginger/1 1/2 tsp salt,pepper and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Beat vigorously until very light in texture,then chill. Melt remaining butter in a large frying pan and lightly brown meatballs on all sides, a few at a time. Remove from pan and keep warm in an oven proof dish in a preh-heated oven 150C while making the sauce. Stir flour into fat in frying pan and cook for two mins,stirring. Remove from heat and add stock and remaining cream. Bring to the boil,stirring constantly. Season with salt pepper and nutmeg and cook over a low heat for about 10 mins or until the sauce reduces ( this is called a cream reduction!) andthickens. Pour sauce over meatballs and scatter with a little fresh chopped dill if you like. Serve with boiled rice. (Serves 6)

cookessentials, Jul 5, 10:59pm
More meat ideas please.

cookessentials, Jul 6, 9:46pm
CHILLI CON CARNE

This is a goodie,especially for the school holidays,either serve with rice or get the kids to assemble their own nachos or tacos.

2 medium onions (300g), chopped finely
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red capsicum,diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground dried chilli / or chilli flakes
1 teaspoons paprika, not smoked
2 teaspoon ground cumin
500g beef mince
1 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup beef stock
425g can diced tomatoes
1 stick cinnamon
425g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano, finely chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
In a large pan, cook onions over a medium heat in olive oil until soft.
Add capsicum, garlic, chilli, paprika and cumin. Cook, stirring until capsicum and garlic soften.

Increase heat and add beef mince, cook; stirring to break up the meat, until mince is well browned. Add tomato paste: cook stirring 30 seconds.

Add beef stock, tomatoes and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, 35-40 minutes. Remove cinnamon.

Add beans, coriander and oregano, stir through, cook further 2-3 minutes.

Season to taste. Serve with steamed rice or use to make nachos or tacos

rolznsp, Jul 8, 3:59am
Hey cooks- o wise one ;) I see your con carn recipe in this thread - i normally just buy the maggi packet mix to make mine but am going to do you recipe as in here.although i like it really hot.would you recommend just adding in extra chilli flakes.! what about curry powder!

cookessentials, Jul 23, 9:24am
If you like it hot, just add the chilli to your taste.

cookessentials, Jul 28, 5:20am
Meatballs & Fettuccine

500g lean beef mince
70g stale breadcrumbs
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
1 egg
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp olive oil
500g fettuccine pasta

rosemary paprika sauce
810g canned crushed tomatoes
500ml water
40ml dry red wine
2 medium brown onions chopped finely
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
6 sprigs fresh rosemary
Make rosemary paprika sauce.
Combine beef, breadcrumbs, parsley, chives, egg and sauce in large bowl; shape into small meatballs.

Heat oil in medium saucepan; cook meatballs, in batches, until browned all over and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large saucepan of boiling water until tender; drain.

Add meatballs to sauce; mix well. Stir until heated through. Serve pasta with meatballs and sauce.

Rosemary paprika sauce
Combine ingredients in
large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until thickened slightly.

cookessentials, Aug 13, 9:35pm
I have had a beautiful ragu with paparadelle pasta at "Elements" in Lyal Bay twice now and it is so tasty - maybe next time, I should ask them for the recipe. It was a sausage ragu- but they were obviously a pure meat sausage,crumbled with chilli as it was lovely and spicy.

cookessentials, Aug 17, 1:03am
PORK RISSOLES
1kg lean pork mince
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion finely chopped
1/2 cup firmly packed, coarsely chopped fresh mint
1 egg white, beaten lightly
1 cup stale breadcrumbs

Combine pork, garlic, onion, mint, egg white and breadcrumbs in large bowl. Using hands, shape pork mixture into 18 patties; place on lightly oiled tray. Cover, refrigerate 30 minutes.
heat large oiled non-stick frying pan; cook rissoles, in batches, until browned both sides and cooked through.

idgit1969, Aug 20, 9:25pm
Thank you for posting these yummy recipes Cooksessentials! I made the Mince and Pasta Bake last night and my family thoroughly enjoyed it!

cookessentials, Aug 20, 9:57pm
Glad you enjoyed it.

dinky17, Sep 4, 7:49am
thanks cooks for the recipes,I made the spag boll tonight and it was great.only thing I did different is I put it in the pressure cooker for 15 min. instead of simmering for a couple of hours.it came out fantastic,,,thanks again.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 12:17am
Beef Sate

I have been making these using this recipe since the early 1990's and they are simple to make and very tasty. I use a zip-lock bag to marinate all the ingredients and I let it sit in the fridge overnight to get the flavours well combined.

500g rump steak (or chicken, lamb or pork)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons oil
½ teaspoon curry powder
extra oil
Sate sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
2.5cm piece green ginger, peeled and grated
125g peanuts, skinned, roasted, and very finely chopped
125ml (½ cup) vinegar
75g (1/3 cup) sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons peanut butter
80ml (1/3 cup) fruit chutney
250ml (1 cup) water

If you soak the bamboo sate sticks in water for a few hours, it prevents them burning on the bbq

Ask butcher to cut rump steak in one piece, approximately 2.5cm thick. Remove fat from meat. Cut meat into 2.5cm strips. Cut each strip of meat into 5mm pieces. Cut fat strips into 5mm (¼ in) slices. (Fat is put on to the bamboo sate sticks; it helps baste the meat and will keep it moist while cooking.)
Place meat and fat into bowl, add soy sauce, honey, chilli powder, cumin, oil and curry powder; mix well. Cover bowl, refrigerate overnight.
Thread two pieces of meat on to skewer, thread a piece of fat on to skewer, then another two pieces of meat. Repeat with remaining skewers until all meat and fat are used. Grill until tender, brushing occasionally with oil. Serve with sauce.
Sate sauce: Heat oil in pan, gently saute onion and garlic until golden brown. Add spices, ginger and peanuts, saute for 2 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, peanut butter, chutney and water, stir until combined. Bring to boil: reduce heat, simmer very slowly for 30 minutes or until mixture is thick. Serve hot or cold.
The quantities given in this recipe are enough for about 30 sate sticks

donnabeth, Sep 29, 6:04am
I'm not sure what the legalities of posting recipes here are. I'm sure most of us have taken a basic recipe and removed or added flavours to our own taste. Does that make it an original or a copy!

When I need help for anything beyond the basics I've always found it in here where the instructions or variations are tried and true.