Poisoned Lamb shanks

Page 3 / 3
melford, Oct 5, 8:43pm
uli - the programme I watched on tv said that cooking does not kill the second stage bacteria - have a read of my earlier post. It shocked me to learn that as I had always thought heating would kill remaining bacteria

uli, Oct 7, 5:33am
well melford - i have never heard or read that myself. And since I have no tv I am hard to indoctrinate. However if you are worried - then by all means stick to your version. I would be keen to know what "second stage bacteria" are though? They sound very aggressive and dangerous LOL :)

melford, Oct 7, 6:09am
uli I wish I could remember the name of the programme but I can't. I was amazed myself. They said that when a casserole is left on the bench staphyloccocci form and then multiply profusely. This is from a the www.cdc.govt site "Staphylococcus is salt tolerant and can grow in salty foods like ham. As the germ multiplies in food, it produces toxins that can cause illness. Staphylococcal toxins are resistant to heat and cannot be destroyed by cooking"

ferrit47, Apr 17, 8:09am
Yes I agree with you.I never leave meat in oven after cooking. I let it cool down and then put in fridge.

sumstyle, Apr 17, 9:10am
Weird to bump such an old thread.I remember reading it from last year, and after I re-read the title and opening story my first thought: De Ja Vu!!

ferrit47, Apr 17, 9:37pm
I often go thru them & if worth addingto old thread I do so.

nfh1, Apr 17, 10:42pm
Hope he is fit and well by now!

olwen, Apr 17, 10:50pm
I think the significant word here is toxins.The toxins are created by the bacteria, and are not destroyed by heat, but the bacteria would be destroyed.For the toxins to be created the food must at some stage be infected.

letitia, Apr 17, 10:58pm
My elderly relative cooks six pies at a time in the oven at a time (to save power) then eats one cold pie a day for the next six days. The only trouble is, he doesn'tput them in the fridge after cooking - just leaves them in the oven.I was horrified when I discovered this.But he has been doing it for years he informs me, and has never got sick.He also eats many products weeks past their use by date.I have tried to encourage him to change his poor food hygiene habits with no success.(And he can see nothing wrong with a daily diet of pies - but that's another issue.)

buzzy110, Apr 18, 1:49am
Oh you should read the front page of this morning's Herald. There is a huge amount of waste caused by people dumping perfectly good food because it has gone past the use by date. The experts are saying that the date is not important and people should rely more on their other senses to identify whether a food has become unfit to eat, not a date, that means little, if anything, on all foods except meat.