Home kill lamb what age is best?

pheebs1, May 10, 11:31pm
we have two sheep last years spring lambs,
what is the best age to do it. want my moneys worth size wise but also best tasting.
what price would you expect to pay to have it processed any other advice on this welcomed
cheers!

shop-a-holic, May 10, 11:40pm
I'm not certain, as to the validity of this in todays age, but this is what I was told 100 years ago.
Our export lamb is killed at 6 months of age. It's incredibly lean, sweet meat, with a small strip of fat through the leg bone.
Our domestic lamb (purchased in supermarkets) is killed at 9 months. It is heavier and fat strip is much larger.
At 12 months its called a Hogget, and no longer a lamb.

I could be wrong.....

camper18, May 11, 2:53am
But hogget has the best taste and you get more for your money. Don't know about price now but daughter was paying $30 each for kill dress and cut up, 2yrs ago.

illusion_, May 11, 3:10am
Exactly. And tenderness depends on how it is treated ALL the way to the plate. Have had hogget that is more tender than any shop-bought lamb. And lamb that is as tough as old boots.

pheebs1, May 11, 6:38am
good point, ours are spoilt rotten! should taste good . so if they are last springs maybe i should wait till xmas?

shop-a-holic, May 11, 11:40pm
I'm not certain, as to the validity of this in todays age, but this is what I was told 100 years ago.
Our export lamb is killed at 6 months of age. It's incredibly lean, sweet meat, with a small strip of fat through the leg bone.
Our domestic lamb (purchased in supermarkets) is killed at 9 months. It is heavier and fat strip is much larger.
At 12 months its called a Hogget, and no longer a lamb.

I could be wrong.

camper18, May 12, 2:53am
But hogget has the best taste and you get more for your money. Don't know about price now but daughter was paying $30 each for kill dress and cut up, 2yrs ago.

macandrosie, May 12, 3:26am
a younger animal is always going to be more tender, & so long as it's not under undue strss at the time of killing. Do you want it cut up into roasts, chops &/or backstraps? If that's the case then kill now. If you want it processed into sausages then a 2 tooth or older would be better. We've just had sausages, mince & sausage made out of 2 tooths. But also you're not using ram lambs areyou? Crips or wethers are fine tho.

pheebs1, May 12, 6:38am
good point, ours are spoilt rotten! should taste good . so if they are last springs maybe i should wait till xmas!

macandrosie, May 13, 3:26am
a younger animal is always going to be more tender, & so long as it's not under undue strss at the time of killing. Do you want it cut up into roasts, chops &/or backstraps! If that's the case then kill now. If you want it processed into sausages then a 2 tooth or older would be better. We've just had sausages, mince & sausage made out of 2 tooths. But also you're not using ram lambs areyou! Crips or wethers are fine tho.