What happened to other cuts of lamb??

ange164, Jun 9, 10:56pm
At the supermarket there were lamb leg roasts, shoulder chops, neck chops and those funny fatty T-bone shaped ones. All at around $17-27 a kilo.

Surely there is more to a sheep than just those cuts? What happened to the cubed bits, the mince, the rolled roasts, etc all which could be cheaper than $17 a kilo? And WHY can't I buy hogget? Or mutton for a stew? Why will they only sell it all labeled as lamb at a premium price?

Just my little rant for the morning. As you were.

otterhound, Jun 9, 11:44pm
PacknSave sells mutton.Haven't seen hogget for sale in years.You'd probably get it at a butchers though, along with your rolled roast etc.

pnlnj, Jun 9, 11:45pm
Supermarkets only sell high turnover meat products. If you want the other cuts you need to go to a local butcher. Our local butcher tends to be a bit cheaper than the supermarket and he will cut the meat to what size or shape we want.

kay141, Jun 10, 1:25am
If you can find a local butcher. Most suburbs in the Hutt Valley no longer have butchers and the ones that are left are closing down rapidly. Same with veges shops. Most people prefer to get everything in one shop regardless of quality or price. The same people who want the ,malls with nationwide shops so the small retailers are no longer viable. Walking along the main streets of most NZ towns will show the amount of empty shops. In some places more empty than filled.

beaker59, Jun 10, 4:14am
Only thing missing from your lists are lamb flaps which are also available sometimes. The offal is also in our supermarket lidneys livers etc haven't seen lambs longues for a while though. Though $17 - $27 would be the absolute prime cuts around here certainly not shoulder or neck chops which hover between $5 and $10 at our local supermarket.

otterhound, Jun 10, 4:29am
What bugs me most is the price of lamb shanks!Used be 50 cents each in the good old days and people mainly bought them to feed to their dogs.Now you're hard pushed to find them for less than $4 each, and I've seen them dressed up as "gourmet knuckles" for $7.50 each!!!

dezzie, Jun 10, 5:06am
Yep otterhound, its a real pain now that chefs etc have discovered lambs shanks, pork belly, ox tail, all those cheap cuts that us home cooks who had time to do "slow cooking" enjoyed getting to feed the family, hell even tripe is about 5 times the price it used to be (not that I've ever bought it, I just noticed it)

gorsegully, Jun 10, 5:11am
Probably can't buy Hogget cause they're selling it as lamb. Mutton comes up in our local Countdown often as quarter packs, either front half or back half. Way tastier than lamb

kay141, Jun 10, 5:16am
I saw lamb's tongues the other day but I would love to see meat for between $5 and $10 per kilo. Down here, it would be a good special to get it for less than $12.99.

ange164, Jun 10, 10:56pm
At the supermarket there were lamb leg roasts, shoulder chops, neck chops and those funny fatty T-bone shaped ones. All at around $17-27 a kilo.

Surely there is more to a sheep than just those cuts! What happened to the cubed bits, the mince, the rolled roasts, etc all which could be cheaper than $17 a kilo! And WHY can't I buy hogget! Or mutton for a stew! Why will they only sell it all labeled as lamb at a premium price!

Just my little rant for the morning. As you were.

otterhound, Jun 10, 11:44pm
PacknSave sells mutton.Haven't seen hogget for sale in years.You'd probably get it at a butchers though, along with your rolled roast etc.

beaker59, Jun 11, 4:14am
Only thing missing from your lists are lamb flaps which are also available sometimes. The offal is also in our supermarket lidneys livers etc haven't seen lambs longues for a while though. Though $17 - $27 would be the absolute prime cuts around here certainly not shoulder or neck chops which hover between $5 and $10 at our local supermarket.

otterhound, Jun 11, 4:29am
What bugs me most is the price of lamb shanks!Used be 50 cents each in the good old days and people mainly bought them to feed to their dogs.Now you're hard pushed to find them for less than $4 each, and I've seen them dressed up as "gourmet knuckles" for $7.50 each!

dezzie, Jun 11, 5:06am
Yep otterhound, its a real pain now that chefs etc have discovered lambs shanks, pork belly, ox tail, all those cheap cuts that us home cooks who had time to do "slow cooking" enjoyed getting to feed the family, hell even tripe is about 5 times the price it used to be (not that I've ever bought it, I just noticed it)

gorsegully, Jun 11, 5:11am
Probably can't buy Hogget cause they're selling it as lamb. Mutton comes up in our local Countdown often as quarter packs, either front half or back half. Way tastier than lamb

kay141, Jun 11, 5:16am
I saw lamb's tongues the other day but I would love to see meat for between $5 and $10 per kilo. Down here, it would be a good special to get it for less than $12.99.