lamb shanks

flint18, Apr 29, 2:23am
How you cook yours? I cook mine all sorts of ways and then I butter 9 bits of bread with it as well lol

cookessentials, Apr 29, 2:37am
100g dried white beans such as cannellini or butter beans
4 trimmed lamb shanks about 400g each
40g pancetta, chopped
400g tin chopped toms
500ml beef stock ( I use Campbells)
250ml red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste (sundried if you can get it)
1 fresh or dried bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
handful of flat leafed parsley, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Place white beans in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 6 hours or overnight. Drain well and set aside.
Preheat oven to 170C. Place lamb shanks in casserole, add pancetta, tomatoes, stock, red wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and half of the parsley. Season well with salt and pepper, stir to combine and cover tightly. Cook in pre-heated oven for 2 hours. Remove casserole from oven, turn the shanks over and add the beans. Re-cover and return casserole to the oven and cook a further hour until mixture is thick and lamb is very tender. To serve, spoon a quarter of the beans into each dish, add a lamb shank and spoon some sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley. Serve with some sauteed green beans if liked. From Ross Dobsons "Casual Entertaining" book

fisher, Apr 29, 2:58am
Crockpot one. . :
Crock Pot Minted Lamb ShanksLow all day
4 lamb shanks. . mint sauce. . sprig rosemary. . clove garlic. . bay leaf. . chopped onion. . diced carrot and celery . . 1/2 carton of Campbell's Beef Stock...
Place all in crockpot. .
When serving, remove shanks, place sauce into saucepan and thicken with little flour or cornflour. . cook it out over stove top. .
Serve over potato/kumara mash with long whole green beans that have been steamed with a few onion slivers. . dot the beans with butter and pour the sauce over the shanks and mash. .

fisher, Apr 29, 3:02am
RoastedLamb Shanks
Preheat oven to 200c
Ingredients:
Lamb shanks. . 5 cloves garlic, bruised. . 2 tbsp each of coriander and cumin seeds, toasted and ground. . 2 tbsp brown sugar. .
250ml beef stock. . 1/4 cup white wine. . salt and freshly ground black pepper. .
Method:. .
Put everything into a roasting dish just big enough to hold it. .
Mix everything well, cover tightly and bake 2 hours or until the lamb is tender... .
Remove the lamb, discard the garlic pieces and set aside. Skim the fat from the pan juices... make your gravy... taste and season if required. .

fisher, Apr 29, 3:04am
Lamb Shank Casserole
Seal the lamb shanks in a hot roasting dish until nice and brown to seal in the flavours...
In a casserole dish, place two cups of Campbell's beef stock, 2 tsp of beef stock powder. . 2 tbsp brown sugar. . 1tbsp soy sauce. .
Add 1/2 cup of plain flour and stir well. . Place a selection of your favourite veges, potatoes, carrots, halved mushrooms etc in the casserole dish...
Add the shanks and add some salt and ground pepper to taste. . Add two good tbsp of fresh chopped rosemary... . .
Place in the oven on 150c for about 2 hours... Check the meat. .
A nice rich thick gravy will be created in this dish...

fisher, Apr 29, 3:06am
Trick with shanks. .
If you run your knife to the bone around the small end of the shank, the meat will bunch up at the thick end leaving it more tender, thickand moist. .

beaker59, Apr 29, 10:25am
I do mine on a spit, tip use the rest of the lamb to hold the shanks in place. Discard the lamb or use for soup and enjoy your shanks :)

chooky, Apr 29, 11:26am
We had the new Cook in the pot Lamb Shanks in crock pot tonight, I put them on a bed of mashed pumkin, yummy! So easy to do in the crock-pot, ready when I got home from work.

sultana0, Mar 19, 6:04am
Best place in PNth is Harris Meats for shanks. . YUMMY, sometime when I crockpotthem they tend to be tasteless (I use herbs etc blah blah blah) but when I slow (ssslllloooowwww) roast them they seem to be really tasty, gluey and tender. (takes a long time tho). Next try I will pressure cook them then coat and roast them with herb coating.