Poisoned Lamb shanks

Page 2 / 3
uli, Oct 5, 1:05am
mazzy1 If you put the shanks into an oven bag and cooked them for another 40 minutes (after the 7 hours in the crockpot) then everything would have been killed in there that you might have transferred from the crockpot to the ovenbag. Even though they ended up staying in the oven that night if you then refrigerated them in the morning (presumably still in the unopened bag) there is no way that these lamb shanks would have been off. Your husband must have eaten (or drunk) something else that didn't agree with him.

melford, Oct 5, 8:43pm
uli - the programme I watched on tv said that cooking does not kill the second stage bacteria - have a read of my earlier post. It shocked me to learn that as I had always thought heating would kill remaining bacteria

uli, Oct 7, 5:33am
well melford - i have never heard or read that myself. And since I have no tv I am hard to indoctrinate. However if you are worried - then by all means stick to your version. I would be keen to know what "second stage bacteria" are though? They sound very aggressive and dangerous LOL :)

melford, Oct 7, 6:09am
uli I wish I could remember the name of the programme but I can't. I was amazed myself. They said that when a casserole is left on the bench staphyloccocci form and then multiply profusely. This is from a the www.cdc. govt site "Staphylococcus is salt tolerant and can grow in salty foods like ham. As the germ multiplies in food, it produces toxins that can cause illness. Staphylococcal toxins are resistant to heat and cannot be destroyed by cooking"

mazzy1, Oct 3, 2:00am
If you left cooked lamb shanks in the oven for a day, then refrigerated them overnight then ate them - could you get food poisoning? I forgot about them and my husband ate them the following day and got really sick!

mazzy1, Oct 3, 2:03am
googled this.... Bad bacteria can reproduce every 20 minutes. If you put 100 bacterial cells on food, in 20 minutes, it's 200, in 40 minutes it's 400, in 1 hour it's 800. In 4 hours, you'll have more than 4 million bacterial cells on the food.

I think I just answered my own question....

beaker59, Oct 3, 2:12am
Just really sick Mazzy? leave them longer next time.

mazzy1, Oct 3, 2:23am
heh heh ...

deus701, Oct 3, 2:29am
did your husband have ab cramps, vommitting and diarhoea? Normally most food poisoning cases are self limiting..but if he displays slurred speech, loss of motor functions, I would see a doctor... as lamb shanks in an oven (i presume warm environment) all day is an ideal conditions for nastier bugs.

davidt4, Oct 3, 3:23am
Lamb shanks I honestly don't think it would have been the lamb that caused the problems.I've followed exactly your procedure hundreds of times with braised meat dishes and unlessyou transferred the shanks to a seriously contaminated container for the fridge I don't think you poisoned your husband.

uli, Oct 3, 3:33am
If the lamb shanks were cooked and then left in the oven without contaminating them I would very much doubt that they would spoil. I often leave cooked meat in the roasting dish in the oven for a day and reheat for the next dinner without any refrigeration. My roasting dish is covered and I use serving spoons - so no licked spoons or any other contamination of meat or gravy is possible.

dbab, Oct 3, 3:42am
Why???????????????????????????-
????? would you want to leave cooked meat in the oven for a day? The slightest chance of anything going wrong with it would scare me.

uli, Oct 3, 3:46am
Maybe because I am not scared? LOL - or maybe because my grandmother, my mother and I do it and nothing ever happened. Or maybe because I have a bit of an idea about food safety versus indoctrination by people wanting to sell their "safe" products....

davidt4, Oct 3, 4:02am
#9... There's no need for hysteria.If the meat has been cooked thoroughly and left untouched there will not be any nasty bacteria left to breed.If it then goes into the fridge untouched the refrigeration will retard the natural decay process.As long as it hasn't been contaminated at any stage a properly cooked meat dish will remain safe in the fridge for several days, particularly if it has a reasonable level of salt and acid (e.g. from wine used to braise it).

dbab, Oct 3, 4:08am
Are you people all mad???? .

maxwell.inc, Oct 3, 4:11am
lol dbab Meat was never refrigerated up until.. hmm when were plug in fridges invented?.. up till then anyway.. everyone lived didn't they? Our forefathers may have lived in ramshackle dust floored old huts but heck it seems they had better food hygiene than most do today thats for sure.

maxwell.inc, Oct 3, 4:19am
*wraps dbab in cottonwool* out of the fry pan into the fire.

jfreak, Oct 3, 4:31am
peas porridge hot...... peas porridge cold...........

deus701, Oct 3, 4:42am
People in ancient times would be different Compared to us, they have a higher resistance to bugs due to their poor food hygiene and the time they're living in. Today's society is much more sterile, we have better food preservation technologies, etc(you get the picture) hence we are more suceptible to food poisoning.I have come across a 6 month pregnant woman who lost her baby due to eating a contaminated sandwich that she bought. Those who work with food (eg chefs) on a regular basis will be exposed to foodborne bacteria and will have increased immunity over time.I always keep a few ultracarbon (charcoal) tablets handy. It binds the intestinal toxins, unfriendly bacteria growth and exretes them in the stools.

davidt4, Oct 3, 4:47am
TM General Oh my goodness!They're a scary lot out there aren't they.I remember a few months ago reading a description of Trademe message board contributors as "gullible hicks".No comment.But thanks Uli - this is an excellent diversion from work on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

mazzy1, Oct 4, 1:27am
Just to set the record straight...... I cooked the lambshanks in the slow cooker in a ginger and sesame sauce, but when I stuck a knife in them after about 7 hours they didn't feel that tender to me. I then put them into an oven bag and cooked them very slowly for another 40 minutes, planning to have them that night. They ended up staying in the oven that night and I then refrigerated them in the morning. I am always so particular about hygiene and probably wouldn't have let my husband eat them, but he did! He's ok now though :-)

issy46, Oct 4, 3:12am
summer flu thats what food poisoning used to be called.vomiting and diarrhea,very common in the old days,right up to the 1980's or there abouts.Common excuse for not turning up to work.Got a tummy bug.?Guess where you got that...

melford, Oct 4, 8:21am
I wouldn't eat them either. I watched a programme on tv last week where it was shown that if you don't cool a cooked casserole fast enough bacteria form but even worse the centre of the casserole breeds a stronger form of bacteria as it takes hours to completely go cold, even in the fridge! The host of the show said it is important to empty out your casserole onto a flat dish so that it cools very fast and then put it in the fridge covered

toffeey, Oct 4, 8:42am
When I was a kid we used to look forward to Mum going away because Dad would cook "possum stew". It was chicken pieces which in those days were always frozen to start with and lots of onions and rice and carrots. He would cook it up in the oven and day one it was ok. It stayed in the oven and the next night he added more rice and water. Day 2 it was pretty good. Day 3 with more bits added it was all gelatinous and wonderful. We loved it. Never got sick. However I have in my adult life had a very nasty bout of campylobacter and don't take these sorts of chances with food.

uli, Oct 5, 1:05am
mazzy1 If you put the shanks into an oven bag and cooked them for another 40 minutes (after the 7 hours in the crockpot) then everything would have been killed in there that you might have transferred from the crockpot to the ovenbag. Even though they ended up staying in the oven that night if you then refrigerated them in the morning (presumably still in the unopened bag) there is no way that these lamb shanks would have been off. Your husband must have eaten (or drunk) something else that didn't agree with him.