Preserving Feijoas....HELP

Page 2 / 2
parryduck, May 15, 6:18am
OH lord, at the price we pay in the Sth Island, I would SO love some Feijoas! Or Kumara, Avacado,.Lemons. etc. Tramsport can't really account for all these big price differntials, can it!

lizab, May 15, 6:56am
kcak - my husband reckons all the feijoa syrup is the best bit LOL He has them on his breakfast cereal every morning at the moment. I can't stand them myself. Every now and then I'll try one just to make sure . but no, I still don't like them!

jag5, May 15, 8:14am
kcak.may I have your unpeeled feijoa chutney recipe please!I hate fiddly, and peeling comes under this heading.Much appreciated.TIA

minana, May 15, 9:56am
They are great dehydrated - peel the ripe big fruit and cut into half a cm thickness, dry overnight and pop into small agee jars and hide them from the teenagers!

buzzy110, May 15, 8:35pm
Take heart parryduck. The price of feijoa in the North Island are not that brilliant either. At present they are $9.95kg and not likely to get cheaper. The reason probably has something to do with the type of fruit. Commercial growers probably pay a premium for the tree stock that produces the large, commercial fruit, and also they probably need more care as opposed to the domestic fruit that we all know and love.

jag5, May 15, 10:06pm
I have 3 trees dropping left right and centre.Giving them away by the bagful.We have pigs, but they are a fussy pair, and don't like feijoas.Unbelievable.The sheep and cattle do, so they are getting the small ones, (lots of tiny ones this year).

Would love the chutney recipe though please.