Caravan cooking?

sue62, Feb 18, 6:43pm
Looking for easy to prepare meal ideas for caravan cooking.
I will have limited space for ingredients.
Have a gas oven and hobs.
No use of a microwave as we are on solar power.
Thank you

flier3, Feb 18, 7:41pm
When my sister and I toured around the Sth Is lst year in a wee campervan, we cooked pasta meals and rice meals with another pot for fresh veggies, or even in the same ;pot (!), scrambled eggs with side veggies, just a big pot of veggies, didn't have spuds for lack of room. When we didn't have fresh veggies, we had a stock of packets of dried. Very little meat. a little fish now and then. Muesli with fruit for brekky. Sandwiches for lunch - cheese, marmite, jam which we had taken with us. Just trying to remember what food we took in our one little cupboard. I'll add if I think of anything else :)
Edited to add, we had no oven. We bought fresh fruit along the way - except when we spotted an apple tree on the side of the road, then we helped ourselves - had some raw and stewed some up. Same with figs from a roadside tree - very yum.

seadogdaisy, Feb 18, 8:46pm
If you can't do without potatoes some of the mashed potato flakes are good. Precooked meals can be reheated if you have a suitable size pot/fry pan with lid, think steaming/putting into boiling water. Stir frys are marvellous. Pikelets and fritters make a tasty change if you like them. Premix ingredients to take with you. Packet cake/bread recipes can also be useful, Remember that your oven can be a very useful storage space.

sue62, Feb 18, 8:50pm
Thanks for these great ideas

buzzy110, Feb 19, 3:41am
Even in my campervan I never choose junk food. Can you get a cutting board that will go across the sink to add extra cooking space? The dining table is also good for food prep. You just have to be more flexible. I know a couple who live in a teeny tiny camper (well by my standards). She uses the floor when space is short and cooks full roast meals for guests.

This is an excellent one pot meal where you can add carrots and large slices of red or orange capsicum to the dish for extra vege:

DAVID T4s BUTTER CHICKEN
Tomato Butter Sauce:
To cook approx 1 kg chicken, prawns, fish, potatoes or paneer

Ingredients:
750g tomatoes, cored, peeled, chopped
4 green cardamom pods
3 green chillies, seeded and chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5cm ginger, peeled and chopped
3 black peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp chilli flakes
40g butter
1 tab tomato paste
½ c cream
salt & pepper
1 tsp ground fenugreek
2 tab chopped coriander leaves

Method:
• Place in a saucepan the tomatoes, Cardamom, Chillies, Garlic, Ginger, Peppercorns and Chilli, with half of the Butter. Bring to the boil, simmer gently uncovered 1 hour.
• Pass through a sieve, add Tomato Paste, remaining Butter, Cream, Salt and Pepper, fenugreek.
• Add your main food and cook until done, about an hour for chicken pieces, 45 min for potato, 5 - 8 minutes for prawns and fish or paneer.
• Adjust seasoning, stir in coriander.

p.s. - I never cook the chicken that long. 10mins max and fish or prawns take even less time.

You can make the sauce and put half of it in the fridge for use another night.

davidt4, Feb 19, 4:58am
By coincidence I have been making that recipe lately using lamb and pumpkin (it is a good way of getting through our glut of tomatoes plus new pumpkins). It is delicious and freezes well.

kacy5, Feb 19, 6:22am
I sometimes buy roast meals from places that sell freshly cooked ones, much cheaper than bakery takeaways and a small one, $10-$12, pork or beef does me two meals. They are very filling and the meat is too much for one meal. I have added extra vegetables on occasion but only if I can be bothered.

dibble35, Feb 19, 6:50am
I lived in a caravan full time for 2 years, and dont think I cooked any differently than how i cook now. Had a very small fridge, tiny freezer so I guess I shopped more often. I was lucky in that i worked in town so if i needed anything it was easy to get on the way home. I dont think id be wanting to do to much baking or boiling etc if you're in the caravan over summer, makes it really hot.

katalin2, Feb 19, 9:32am
Bacon eggs and tomatoes all done in the same pan, mushrooms if we have any. We have a pot with a steamer above, so while potatoes are cooking can do other veggies on top. We have a small Gasmate barbacue, like a webber but half the price, so in summer we barbacue. Corn on the cob another favourite meal. Last week we made up a large batch of ratatuille as we had all the ingredients for it and had over several days. We eat pretty similar meals as we do at home but make sure we can do it in the pot with the steamer and one fry pan. Cheesy omlettes are quick and easy too. We have a smallish camp oven so if we are allowed a fire will cook a casserole with lots of veggies in that or a whole chicken with potatoes around it. Just a few ideas to consider- we only use our caravan for frequent holidays don't live in it full time.

sue62, Feb 19, 5:34pm
yum thanks for this recipe

oruff, Apr 2, 12:22am
Pressure cooker!

duckmoon, Oct 9, 2:44am
My SIL is a macaroni cheese recipe with tinned tomatoes and bacon. It is on the back of a Maggi packet