FISH PIE - your best tips, hints, tried tested

Page 1 / 2
angel361, Feb 18, 4:49am
and yummy recipes please. Thanks

beaker59, Feb 18, 5:28am
I have tried all sorts of recipes but always go back to the classic just like mum used to make. Cheese sauce with lots of onions then add peas, flaked smoked fish (a little chunky but no skin or bones), and halved boiled eggs (cook the eggs with the potatoes for some reason it makes better mash) mix gently then top with mashed potato and grated cheese bake until the base bubbles through a bit and the cheese on top forms a nice crunchy brown crust.

I smoke my own fish and they all work well but smoked snapper for the fish pie is the best you can get.

DAng, posted that with a nostalgic grin inside and then realised you were talking about fish pie not smoked fish pie I can delete it if you like we don't want to upset the nanna's

rainrain1, Feb 18, 5:51am
You can do the same with fresh fish I would imagine. all good, makes me hungry now

diamondgirl06, Feb 18, 6:43am
I do a variation of "The Frog and Kiwi"s fish cassolette.
http://www.whanauliving.co.nz/recipes/cooking-in-the-kitchen-with-david-bonometti/
I usually have only one variety of fish and no scallops or prawns and it turns out beautifully. When I do have the full compliment, it's sublime.
I don't always have all the requisite herbs either, but just make do with what I have available.
The Chocolate Fondant recipe which follows in the above link is also delish.

valentino, Feb 18, 7:15am
Something different but very nice.

Baked fish with a crunchy dijon mustard crust on braised potatoes and leeks
Ingredients
3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 large Leek, thinly sliced
2 sprigs Thyme, large
3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Lemon, zested
150 ml Dry white wine
900 g Agria potatoes, peeled, sliced 1cm thick
250 ml Fish stock, or vegetable
600 g Fish fillets, firm and white
75 g Panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Chopped parsley, plus extra for serving
60 g Butter, melted
Directions
Heat the oven to 220C.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over moderate heat and add the onion, leek, thyme, garlic and zest.
Fry gently without browning for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft.
Add the wine and let it bubble for 30 seconds.
Put this mixture into an ovenproof dish and place the potatoes in one layer on top.
Season and pour the stock over everything.
Place in the oven for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Remove from the oven and place the fish pieces side by side on top of the potatoes
Put the breadcrumbs, mustard, parsley and butter into a bowl and mix well.
Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Spread the crumb mixture over the top of the fish.
Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the fish is cooked and the crumbs browned and crisp.

valentino, Feb 18, 7:29am
And I do this recipe quite a bit, very popular;

Fish Pie

Firstly, Peel, chop into smaller chunks for quicker cooking and cook Potatoes as normally done for “Mashed Potatoes”.

Then;
About 600 grams fish, Lemon fish is ideal.
1 leek sliced.
2 small strips of lemon peel (use a potato peeler) and chop into smaller pieces.
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg.
8 black peppercorns.
2 bay leaves.
Some fresh parsley.
2 ½ cups milk.

Put above ingredients into large fry-pan, heat slowly to simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes on low heat.
Season to taste with salt.
Remove bay leaves and remove all solids from liquid into an ovenproof dish.
Put remaining liquid into a measuring jug.

Next; Preheat oven to 200C.

Next; Melt 30 grams butter in same fry-pan.
Then add 1 or 2 cloves garlic crushed.
Another leek thinly sliced.
½ or a small onion chopped.
Cook all over low heat for about 7 minutes or until leek and onion softened.

Whilst the above is cooking, the potatoes should be ready and be mashed as per normal.

Now, remove half of leek/onion mixture and put in with mashed potato.

The remaining half of mixture in pan – sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons (slightly heaped) flour over mixture, blend until smooth.
Measure the reserved Jug liquid and make up to about 1 ½ to 2 cups with milk.
Add to flour mixture, stir until mixture starts to boil and thickens ! – Cook 1 minute more over low heat.
Mix this mixture in with the fish solids in oven-proof dish and level all, may need to break fish and spread evenly.

Mix the potato mash and the leek/onion together then add on top of the fish and level over all smoothly. Sprinkle either some grated cheese or a teaspoon of paprika over the top.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve.

Note: Above recipe can serve 4 to 6 people.
Can be frozen and in servings to suit and reheated or eaten cold.

karlymouse, Feb 18, 10:04am
Only tip I can give is leave out the boiled eggs. totally heinous texture.

fifie, Feb 18, 7:39pm
Another vote for the fish pie with leeks, takes it to another level.0

kiwiscrapper1, Feb 18, 7:57pm
Raw fish cut up not too small, place in base of dish, cover with chopped dill make a white sauce and pour over, mash potatoes on top sprinkled with cheese bake in oven 180 around 40 mins. I dont like much more in it takes away the meaning of fish pie,but I serve with a mix veges of peas beans carrots and I love vinegar over the fishy part" I suppose like bacon and egg and lots of other ingred no longer becomes just B & E :-)

kiwiscrapper1, Feb 18, 8:00pm
and they are already cooked and become rubbery!

kaddiew, Feb 18, 8:40pm
I'm gagging at childhood memories of fish pie, and leeks. Still can't eat either today. Am I the only one?

rainrain1, Feb 18, 9:34pm
Love it!

uli, Feb 18, 10:12pm
I make a nice white sauce with dill and parsley, then roll up fillets with a dill and green onion filling in the middle, sometimes add some shrimp and place into baking dish.

If I have some cooked leeks or pak choi it goes in with the fillets or some raw spinach at the bottom is great too. Sauce goes over the top and then I either top with grated cheese or some very finely sliced potatoes so everything is ready at the same time.

No eggs for me either, but big bowl of a nice fresh green salad or some fermented things on the side.

poppysinger2, Feb 18, 10:34pm
My current fav fish pie is a variation from my friend's recipe. Very simple , make a buttery bechamel type sauce . Butter an ovenproof dish. Lay the fresh fish in the dish , add salt and pepper . Pour over the bechamel . Bake for 20 mins . I use what ever fish is on special , yummy with sole, terakihi , gurnard etc. Sometimes I will flash up the bechamel with blue vein cheese ,parsley and or onions/ garlic . prawns or scallops if funds permit . Sometimes I will put buttered breadcrumbs on top .Infinitely variable ,always delicious !

player_smurf, Feb 18, 10:58pm
Add some Maggi Seafood Soup to your sauce, gives it a great flavour.

dbab, Feb 19, 1:02am
Use some coconut ceam/milk when making your white sauce for a nice flavour.

korban, Feb 19, 1:20am
FISH PIE

500 grams potatoes
4 eggs
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
½ cup liquid from the fish
310 gram can smoked fish fillets
1 can whole kernel corn - I use Watties chuck wagon corn
Spring onions - optional
Grated cheese
Paprika

Spray a heatproof 4 cup capacity dish.

Boil potatoes and mash with butter and milk.

Hard boil eggs and chop into pieces.

Melt the butter in a pot and stir in the flour. Let the mixture bubble then add the milk. Stir the sauce until it thickens. Add the extra liquid and stir until it comes to the boil.

Stir the fish, corn, spring onion and eggs into the sauce.

Turn the mixture into the greased dish.

Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle over cheese and paprika.

Bake for 30 - 40 minutes at 180°C.

whitehead., Feb 19, 8:20am
simmer your fish skin and bones in your milk to make your white sauce strain and make a white sauce with butter ,it adds a rich flavor .you can add cooked new potatoes onions parsley and celery finely chopped . topped with a good buttery mash ,and baked till crispy in the oven yummy

whitehead., Feb 19, 8:22am
also put a fresh bay leaf in your sauce with the bones when you cook them

niixs, Feb 20, 9:54am

mjhdeal, Feb 20, 11:16pm
Um. Fish pie is boring without the hard-boiled eggs (*runs away and hides*)

jesse83, Feb 21, 9:29am
Google "Jamie's Fantastic Fish Pie"
A really nice recipe! (has boiled eggs and spinach)

deb821, Feb 21, 10:22am
Normally make regular one, but recently did one with a marinara mix with bits of fresh fish and salmon, with a cheesy sauce and potatoes and Kumar a mash, lovely

bisloy, Feb 22, 10:45am
Butter your dish and coat with breadcrumbs. Make your favourite white sauce and stir in a little chilli. Combine with whatever fish or seafood combo you are using (I love the marinara mix). Put a blob of butter in the dirty pan you used to make the sauce and melt. Add breadcrumbs, garlic salt, lemon pepper and a little more chilli. Mix to make crumbs and sprinkle over the top. Bake til bubbly and serve with green beans, carrots, spuds and garlic bread.
The chilli sweetens the seafood if you just add a little. Simple and really lovely every time.

peoplespace, Feb 23, 3:09am
Instead of the bechamel, use reduced cream. Add stock for increased umami/savouriness, or a few drops of fish sauce. Definitely include at least one thing from allium family, whether onion, leek or garlic, and another vote for parsley and add a little thyme to round out the flavour.
Grated celeriac and cheese on top makes it even better.