Fish pie

muttly, Jun 14, 12:07am
i want a nice fish pie recipe
fish base and potato top

horizons_, Jun 14, 12:31am
Make a white sauce, add diced lightly cooked onion and smoked fish of choice (canned is ok too). Put in an oven proof dish then top with mashed potato and sprinkle grated cheese on top. Bake in oven for half and hour. Hey presto - fish pie.

birdie211, Jun 14, 2:18am
x2
i buy the maggie fish pie sachet, follow instructions, i dont put celery in thou, then i hard boil about 6 eggs slice them and put them on top of the mix, cover with mash potato and cheese and bake for 20mins, yummy

pericles, Jun 14, 2:19am
same, plus add sliced boiled egg

antoniab, Jun 14, 2:29am
Jamie Oliver’s Fantastic Fish Pie (Serves 6)
Ingredients:
5 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch squares
salt and pepper
2 eggs
2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
olive oil
1/2 pint heavy cream
2 good handfuls of grated mature cheddar or parmesan cheese
juice of 1 lemon
1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
1 large handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1lb haddock or cod, skin removed, sliced into strips
nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to 450

Method:
Put potatoes into boiling, salted water and bring back to boil for 2 minutes.
Carefully add eggs to pan and cook for further 8 minutes until hard-boiled, by which time potatoes should also be cooked.
At the same time, steam spinach in a colander above the pan for about a minute.
When spinach is done, gently squeeze liquid out.
Drain potatoes, remove eggs, cool, peel and quarter. Place to one side.

Fry onion and carrot in oil for 5 minutes, then add cream and bring to boil.
Remove from heat and add cheese, lemon juice, mustard and parsley.
Put spinach, fish and eggs in dish and mix together, pouring over creamy vegetable sauce.
Mash cooked potatoes, with oil, salt and pepper, and nutmeg if you want, and spread on top of fish. (I would add some grated cheese on top as well)
Place in oven until potatoes are golden, around 25/30 minutes.

This fish pie is AMAZING! Probably takes a bit longer than the average fish pie but its well worth making when you have the time! :)

muttly, Jun 14, 6:31am
thanks for all the suggestions will try them

veejay13, Jun 14, 7:39am
and if you want to pad it out a bit more add frozen peas, beans, corn, (precooked)

nzmu, Jun 15, 7:01am
x1
This weeks food in a minute...

Ingredients

1 small onion, diced
535g can Wattie's Very Special Creamy Corn Soup
1/2 cup Wattie's Frozen Peas
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Zest of 1 lemon
400g smoked fish, flaked
450g pkt Wattie's Homestyle Mashed PotatoesAdd to Cookbook
Print this Recipe
Email to a Friend
Time & Serves

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves 4-6

Method

1. Heat a dash of oil in a non- stick frying pan and cook onion until soft. Pour in the Wattie's Creamy Corn Soup, frozen peas, parsley and lemon zest. Stir over the heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the smoked fish then pour into a medium sized oven proof dish.

2. Place the Wattie's Frozen Homestyle Mashed Potato patties on top of the fish pie overlapping to resemble fish scales. Place in an oven preheated to 180°C for 25-30 minutes. Finish under the grill for a few minutes to get a great golden top.

Serve with a salad or your favourite green vegetables.

Sounds nice!

pickles7, Jun 15, 7:09am
yep... . makes a very nice fish pie
every time. I put the celery in if I have it.

pickles7, Jun 16, 4:30am
just a little thing here, but a can of tuna is half the price of smoked fish, and you will not taste the difference. Been there

fisher, Jun 16, 4:42am
Canned tuna ... smoked fish? ? ? taste buds... :}
NEVER as nice... and real smoked fish broken down is even better. .
and No celery here...

kirinesha, Jun 16, 4:47am
Fabulous (but simple) Smoked Fish Pie

This is pretty near top of my husband's favourites list for this year!

Ingredients

Enough flaked, deboned smoked fish for two (If very strong poach in a little milk first and drain)
1/2 - 3/4 cup of cream
125gms cream cheese
3 boiled and chopped eggs
1/2t smoked paprika
Salt & pepper
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Premade mashed potato or cauli mash (cauli cooked until soft, drained and well mashed with cream, butter and wholegrain mustard, s&p)
3T grated parmesan per portion

Method

Warm the cream and stir in cream cheese until dissolved.
Add the eggs and fish and all seasonings, stir carefully so you don't break up fish into mush
Stir through the lemon juice to cut the richness
Check the taste and adjust seasonings
Put into individual pie dishes and top with potato or cauli mash
Top with cheese
Bake at 180C for 30 mins (fan bake if you have it so cheese browns, or move up high in oven)

Comment: The cream cheese seems to thicken the sauce. Drained and rinsed capers would make a nice addition as well

fisher, Jun 16, 4:59am
DELICIOUS Kiri . . went through in my mind and made and tasted the dish... LOL. .
I would use WHITE pepper. . and Trevally smoked rather than mullet etcwhich has that strong flavour as you mention...
I notice no celery in yours as well and the cauli mash would give the dish fantastic flavour... (saved recipe)

kirinesha, Jun 16, 5:01am
This got such a huge thumbs up from G when I made it Fisher. I've also done it as a dinner party dish adding scallops and prawns. It's rich but wonderful and easy.

White pepper would definitely work, I just have a slight smoked paprika festish!

fisher, Jun 16, 5:03am
Smoked Fish Pie and LeeksPreheat oven to 200 c
Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan and gently cook one sliced leek until tender.
Mix together can of Watties Condensed Creamy Pumpkin Soup with half a cup of lite sour cream and half a cup of milk and beat until smooth. Stir in cooked leeks, bunch of fresh chopped parsley, a bit of lemon zest, smoked fish broken down and 3 hard boiled eggs sliced up . . Season with white pepper.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish. Top with Watties Potato Pom Poms.
Fan bake at 200º C for 20 minutes or until the fish pie is hot and the Potato Pom Poms are crispy and golden.

fisher, Jun 16, 5:07am
I reckon you could make a seafood pie... smoked Trevally, pre pan fried scollies, some cooked aussie prawns and some steamed mussels chopped up using the same method. .
Mashed orange kumura on top as fish and kumura go well together but I like the cauli idea better for a more subtle flavour... .

fisher, Jun 16, 5:10am
Easy Fish Pie... recipe can also have a pastry base
Cook four potatoes and mash with a little butter. Set aside. Sauté an onion with some dill flakes in a little butter and set aside .
Make a roux of 3 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp flour and milk till a smooth sauce is formed. Add in fish and the onion and simmer for 10 minutes. Put fish mixture into oven proof dish and top with mashed potato. Put into oven at 180 c until potato turns golden brown.
Variations:
Add packet of Maggi seafood soup
Use mashed pumpkin or kumara as topping
Add chopped parsley or coriander

pickles7, Jun 16, 5:46am
tut tut. Try it . the smoked fish, dose not do anything for the, Maggi fish pie recipe. If the tuna helps a families budget, so be it. Nutrition wise, no difference. Enough for a dessert maybe, with the saving.

fisher, Aug 10, 5:13pm
tut tut yaself... canned tuna. . = yuk. . It looses ALL its flavour and that's what its all about. . Rather spend a dollar more with real smoked fish than use canned tuna. . and I personally smoke my own fish. .
Kiri is right on the mark. . try it... see if you like it. . I sure will be...