Interesting things with beetroot

dabo, Dec 19, 12:38am
Interesting things with beetroot please! We have a lot of beetroot I make a beetroot dip which is popular but only needs a tiny amount of beetroot in it. I was keen to see if anybody had any recipes for nibbles or starters that used beetroot or even a really nice salad. All ideas appreciated

davidt4, Dec 19, 1:11am
Beetroot, Walnut and Ricotta Salad (Neil Perry)

4 beetroot
olive oil
3 tab red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
2 baby cos lettuce
½ c walnuts, roasted and broken roughly
250g ricotta or soft goat cheese or feta

Wrap the beetroot tightly in foil with 1 tab vinegar, a little oil, salt, pepper and 2 tab water. Roast 1 hour until tender . Cool a little, peel and quarter. Place in a bowl with a little more oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.

Arrange lettuce on flat plate, beetroot on top, then walnuts, then lumps of ricotta. Drizzle with more oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.

herself, Dec 19, 1:27am
These are my favourite salads with beetroot in them.
Roast Beetroot, Carrot & Red Onion Salad.
Cut 4 large Carrots and 1 large Beetroot into batons, 2 medium Red Onions quartered. Put into large bowl. Add 3 or 4 Tbsp of Olive oil, the juice of an orange, 2 or 3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, sprinkle with 3 Tbsp brown sugar. Roast until tender. Delicious hot or cold. Measurements are not definite, I just go by look and touch when I make this.

Raw Carrot & Beetroot Salad
Grate 2 carrots, 1 beetroot and the rind of one orange into a bowl.
Add the juice of the orange, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil,
2 tsp Honey, 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, 1 Tbsp chopped Mint. Salt & ground Pepper to taste.

lilyfield, Dec 19, 10:10am
Lovely, or leave out garlic and mint and use a bit grated fresh ginger.

toadfish, Dec 19, 5:06pm
I make this a lot - its delicious! But I miss out the mint. as personally I prefer it without.

Ripe’s raw energy salad

Ingredients
500 g Beetroot, raw, peeled and grated
700 g Carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup Mint leaves, roughly chopped
½ cup Raisins
¼ cup Sunflower seeds, toasted
¼ cup Pumpkin seeds, toasted
½ tsp Salt

Dressing
2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Pomegranate molasses
¼ cup Orange juice
¼ cup Olive oil
1 Tbsp Honey

Directions
1.To prepare the dressing: place all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well to combine.
2.To prepare the salad: in a large serving bowl, combine the beetroot, carrot, mint, raisins, seeds and salt and mix.
3.Pour over the dressing – toss again when ready to serve.

steve0061, Nov 18, 7:56am
My FIL grates beetroot with horseradish cream for a lovely hot spicy relish . lovely with potatoes etc.

http://www.comfycook.com/2012/04/cwika-polish-horseradish-with-beets.html