Beetroot pickling recipes please

pheebs1, May 22, 3:22am
been given 2 large beetroot and i know im supposed to boil slice etc but i dont know the ratio of vinegar to sugar that i use for the pickling
search on the side only found recipes for relish
thanks

jan.w1, May 22, 4:39am
nO COOKING WITH THIS ONE.
bEETROOT RELISH.
I KG UNCOOKED BEETROOT MINCED, 100 GRMS MINCED ONION, 2 CUPS SUGAR.1TBLESP SALT 1TSP ALSPICE.COVER WITH VINEGAR BOIL 30MINS THICKEN WITH 2 TBLESPCORNFLOUR& VINEGAR .BOIL FURTHER 5 MINS BOTTLEKEEPS LIKE JAM.

rainrain1, May 22, 6:20am
Do you mean bottled?Here's a recipe, way too much for 2 beetroot though,

Boil for 20 minutes
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
Then add cooked sliced beetoot to liquid while boiling. Bring back to boil and overflow into jars and seal.

pheebs1, May 22, 10:10pm
great thankyou! now im wishing i had more beetroot
yum

rainrain1, May 23, 6:20am
Do you mean bottled!Here's a recipe, way too much for 2 beetroot though,

Boil for 20 minutes
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
Then add cooked sliced beetoot to liquid while boiling. Bring back to boil and overflow into jars and seal.

allspices, May 26, 12:53am
If you use the water you originally cooked the beetroot in the colour is likely to be more intense.

pheebs1, May 26, 1:03am
ok thanks, waiting for rain to ease so i can get vinegar. pack n save in the rain in an uncovered carpark with a baby not fun today
already had 150ml of rain since last night

rainrain1, May 26, 2:32am
It would have a earthy flavour wouldn't it sort of?????

allspices, May 26, 11:14am
No it doesn't seem to have an earthy taste. Wash the gerden off the beetroot first p'raps!

rainrain1, May 26, 7:46pm
Yes and I also wash off the girden, the gurden, the gorden and the garden

eljayv, May 26, 11:02pm
This is an old Aunt Daisy recipe which I love
Gingered Beetroot
Pare and slice washed beetroots very thinly, sufficient to fill a quart billy.Add 1lb sugar 1oz preserved ginger cut up and leave standing all night.Next day boil up with the juice of a lemon and a small cup of vinegar, till thick and clear.Pot and seal in small jars.

pheebs1, May 26, 11:13pm
ahhhhh that made me laugh!

rainrain1, May 27, 2:32am
It would have a earthy flavour wouldn't it sort of!

rainrain1, May 27, 5:55am
'Twas funny hee hee

otterhound, May 27, 6:53am
I cook the whole beetroots, then the skin just rubs off.Then slice and place in jars.Cover with a mixture of equal parts of malt vinegar, sugar and water which has been well heated to completely disolve the sugar.Beautiful!

allspices, May 27, 11:14am
No it doesn't seem to have an earthy taste. Wash the gerden off the beetroot first p'raps!

rainrain1, May 28, 5:55am
'Twas funny hee hee

r-mvz, Jun 6, 11:20pm
we always add one small dried chilli to each jar.. perfect!

r-mvz, Jun 7, 11:20pm
we always add one small dried chilli to each jar. perfect!