Worlds easiest scones

bonny28, Mar 30, 4:59am
Mother in law has always made me scones when we visit. Now she’s a little bit unwell. I’d like to make her some scones. Easy recipe for bald tattooed boxer who doesn’t know how to bake. Thanks.

unknowndisorder, Mar 30, 5:24am
Buy the boxed mix :) apparently it is good.

Otherwise, the easy scone mix (will bump thread) or lemonade scone recipes get good reviews (I use the easy scone mix recipe and am happy with that).

unknowndisorder, Mar 30, 5:28am
Lemonade scones
4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 pinch salt
300 ml cream
300 ml lemonade, soda water or any unflavoured carbonated fizz.
1. Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well. Pour the cream and lemonade or soda water into the dry ingredients and mix together to form a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured bench, dust lightly with flour and gently roll out into a rectangle approx 1 inch thick. Cut into approximately 12 pieces and lift each onto the baking tray. For a good rise, use a cutter, don't roll into balls, scones need a cut edge to give height.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool inside a clean tea towel to help keep their freshness.
Serve with butter or your favourite jam and whipped cream.
TIPS
To make cheese scones, add grated cheese and a pinch of cayenne pepper. To make sultana or date scones, add ¼ - ½ cup of sultanas or chopped dates.

wheelz (251 251 positive feedback) 1:08 am, Thu 3 Nov #2

unknowndisorder, Mar 30, 5:31am
Idiot Proof Scones
50g butter
1 egg
milk
salt
3 c self raising flour

Melt butter in microwave, let it cool a little. Break in 1 egg and top up with milk to make 1&3/4 c of liquid. Mix well.
Add flour (sifted) and mix with a knife. Knead a little on a floured board.
Bake at 230 degrees for 10 mins.
(savoury - add cheese)
(sweet - add sugar and dates or whatever)

They really are fool proof. apparently

pollypoo (95 95 positive feedback) 10:06 pm, Sun 19 Nov #72

bonny28, Mar 30, 6:23am
Thanks. I reckon I can manage that. It’ll make her day.

unknowndisorder, Mar 30, 6:28am
:) good luck, hope it goes well :)

socram, Apr 2, 8:56am
Yup. Good luck. Amazing how the easy recipe uses melted butter rather than rubbing in the fat. I tried that for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Successfully. Why did we always used to rub the fat in? There must be a reason.

lilyfield, Apr 2, 9:40am
Microwaves were not invented

wheelz, Apr 4, 8:51pm
Yeah but. butter can be melted in a pot too!

meetee, Apr 5, 7:13am
I have made scones using melted butter then adding cold milk for years but have never put an egg in the mix. I also use that mix to make bases for pizzas.

nzmax, Apr 5, 7:42am
My aunty always made scones using melted butter, and that would go back 40+ years when we used to help her as kids when we visited. She made a fresh batch of scones every morning, so there was always hot scones for morning tea straight from the oven. There was always fresh cold scones on the table at lunch, afternoon tea and 9pm supper. On the odd occasion of leftover scones, they were used the next day in a bread and butter pudding

groomingtools, Apr 24, 10:13pm
I do the same meetee

kaye159, Apr 29, 4:30am
A 300ml can of L & P gives them a nice flavour

princessboo2, Sep 28, 6:43pm
Cheese scones from the Edmonds Cookbook with extra cheese - and no kneading "needed!" haha

Also try Ruth Pretty's cheese gem recipe. so easy and SO Tasty!