Made some damn great scones yesterday.

paora-tm, Aug 23, 8:34am
Basically using the Edmonds recipe but with melted butter and some 2 day past best by cream - it smelt ok. Cut down the milk. On to the point of this thread - why is it usual practice to rub the butter into the flour? I usually grate frozen butter into the flour without rubbing it in. I think I'll just go with melted butter in future - so much easier.

petal1955, Aug 23, 6:33pm
I use grated butter that has been in the fridge and rub it just to combine with the flour. I also use a ratio of half milk/water to scones with a little lemon juice acts like butter milk. cream that is past its best by date but still smells ok.is fine in scones. another tip also learnt from my mum. heat up your oven tray first . and then place scones om to that. makes the bottoms nice and crisp. and of course dont handle them too much befor eputting into the oven

willman, Aug 23, 7:56pm
I melt the butter and add it to the milk, then mix into flour mixture, works well for me.

paora-tm, Aug 23, 10:54pm
Yes, yes, I should have made it clearer as to how I added the butter - just like you do. :)

sarahb5, Aug 24, 9:33am
Slightly old milk, or even sour milk, always makes great scones - I think maybe there's more lactic acid or something so they are light and fluffy

dragonlady65, Oct 8, 7:05am
I made scone yesterday, with the hints of using half milk an melting the butter. they turned out awesome, i will never rub the butter in or use all milk again, Thanks for the kids everyone

wheelz, Oct 8, 7:25am
dragonlady65. I've got a couple more kids here if you're interested?!

rainrain1, Oct 8, 6:36pm
:)))

devonwrecked, Oct 8, 6:41pm
Using soured milk always works better because the acid in the milk activates more of the baking powder, giving a better rise and removing the baking soda flavour from the scones. I always add a teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to my milk - it's basic chemistry.

wasgonna, Oct 8, 7:48pm
So that's a teaspoon of lemon juice to the full measure of milk or half milk half water?

devonwrecked, Oct 8, 8:08pm
Either - it's being balanced against the baking powder, not the liquids.

docsportello, Oct 8, 9:11pm
The crumb creates air pockets for the raising agent to fill with air, shortly before the butter melts. I have a book here dedicated to scones that uses various cream cheeses, sour creams, buttermilks, cream, yoghurt, and oils, all without rubbing in butter. Depending on your type of raising agent, and the desired end product/texture, it will/won't make a difference

chip1914, Oct 22, 6:31am
I tried butter pats the other day and they where yummy, basic scone mix and you put the butter in a roasted oven dish then dip each scone in the butter then bake in the butter, crunchy and naughty. I just googled recipe and they where basically the same but certainly will bake them again. Its just using the butter in a different way.

lazkaz, Oct 22, 10:05pm
Yes old milk etc. I make gorgeous date scones and soak them in hot water, when softened I use the liquid in the scones, they are so yummy, also top with cinnamon and brown sugar. Although have not made these for a long time. not into baking these days.

lazkaz, Oct 22, 10:06pm
I should say I soak the dates.

paora-tm, Dec 12, 8:04am
I knew someone had an answer. Cheers. :)