Low carb bread

Page 2 / 2
valentino, Oct 31, 2:44am
But goes mouldy too quick and does not freeze well.

kateley, Oct 31, 2:47am
I always keep bread in the freezer and just get out as many slices as required - it doesn't take very long to thaw

valentino, Oct 31, 3:37am
Most freeze okay but there are some brands that do not freeze well.
One of them actually falls apart upon being thawed.

Cheers

norse_westie, Oct 31, 5:05am
You could try cloud bread. Not really for toasting as such but you can use it for sandwiches (kind of) and great to mop up casseroles etc.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/carb-free-cloud-bread-411501

This is one of many hundreds of recipes.

timturtle, Oct 31, 6:27am
Not sure where you are getting your carb numbers from but the first post says 9 for two slices and your second post say 6 for one slice and on their web site it says 15 for two sandwich slices

timturtle, Oct 31, 10:01am
Also it may not be the carb count but also that it is wheat in itself that may cause the problem, as it does for me

mjhdeal, Oct 31, 6:52pm
I have made this low-carb loaf from the 'What the Fat?' cookbook - it is very easy and quick to make:

https://whatthefatbook.com/top-tip-tuesday-8th-dec-chef-craig-on-wtf-bread/

Mix all ingredients together, leave to stand 10 mins. Put into greased tin and bake 180 degrees C for 25 mins (or until skewer comes out clean).

Carb count is 3.3 grams (2 slices)

kacy5, Oct 31, 9:45pm
I have no trouble with Freya's Low Carb bread whether in the freezer or out. I use very little so it can be in there for a month sometimes and that's after a few days before it goes in the freezer.

540trickzter, Oct 31, 9:56pm
Was thinking the exact same thing.

jan2242, Oct 31, 10:02pm
From Burgen's website, and yes I made a mistake. The net amount (less fibre) is 12.9 for 2 slices.

timturtle, Oct 31, 11:20pm
In NZ the fibre has already been deducted from the Carb count.

Cheers

timturtle, Nov 1, 6:10am
I just checked their website and it is 17.5 for two slices in USA they gross up their carbs but here in NZ and OZ it is already taken off the carbs so this would show as 22.1 in USA

blueboy64, Nov 1, 7:41am
Have given up chips, chocolate and diet drinks. Have cut drinking, chips and chocolate by 90-95%. Don't eat a lot of bread, If I give up totally I don't think it will make me live any longer it will just feel like it, I like to use bread with soup (once a fortnight)and also in sandwiches for lunch (twice a week) and beans on toast once a week. I could cut it out but would prefer to eat a healthier option since it is available.

sarahb5, Nov 1, 7:45am
But the healthier options probably don’t taste like the bread you’re used to anyway so you may not get the same satisfaction anyway

smallwoods, Nov 1, 8:03am
I've just started ( 4 weeks now) by cutting carbs out as much as I could.
No bread, potato, rice, flour, pastry etc.
Will eat kumara though.
Doing this to Xmas and have a two week break, then re-evaluate it again.
Started at 126.6, now 122.2kg
Want to hit 115-118kg by the break.

wendalls, Nov 1, 9:39am
I tried one from farro possibly burgen. Very expensive and not to my taste.
If you want to try making your own there are heaps of easy recipes on sites such as diet doctor.com, ditchthecarbs.com and Facebook groups such as 100% LCHF, or lazy keto Atkins etcetera, heaps of bread substitutes much easier than making real bread by the looks. Also heaps of success stories for diabetics if you read through. Very interesting reading.

valentino, Nov 1, 7:26pm
I really did put my foot in it with that Detox Loaf, forgot about the Dried fruits effect, my mind is more clearer now.

So, you need to look further a field like for example a "Lavosh".

Can change flours to suit as noted too, read a recipe below to kick start thoughts on these.

And have placed nice fillings to suit with these like slivers of smoked salmon, fresh toppings like sliced tomatoes, cheeses, dips and so on.

Sesame Lavosh
Lavosh is a thin, crunchy Middle Eastern bread that's delicious as a picnic snack or pre-dinner nibble. We flavour it with sesame and oregano but you can also use parmesan, fennel seeds, or chillies.

1 cup plain flour (Tried it with Ground Almond and other nuts like cashew or hazelnut and was divine).
⅓ cup wholemeal flour
2 tbsp each black and white sesame seeds or 4 tbsp just one kind
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
½ cup water

To finish:
extra virgin olive oil
flaky sea salt

Preheat oven to 165˚C and line an oven tray with baking paper. In a mixing bowl stir together the flours, sesame seeds, oregano and salt. Mix the oils and water together and add to the dry ingredients, stirring to form a soft, pliable dough.
Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll or flatten with palm of hand each out on a lightly floured board as thinly as possible. Each piece of dough should yield a rectangle about 34 x 16cm. Cut each rectangle into strips measuring about 4 x 17cm and roll again. They need to be virtually see-through.
We actually divided the dough but rather than do as above, we then pinch of small pieces and rolled them flat finishing with the palm/face of your fingers squishing of pushing them flatter then as below in batches in the oven.
Carefully transfer strips to a baking tray, brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with flaky salt. Bake until crisp and pale golden – about 15-18 minutes. Need to be done in batches re oven baking.
Allow to cool fully then store in a tin container.

There are also other various types of such bread or like crackers (sort-of) that you could look at as good alternatives.

Cheers.

pickles7, Nov 2, 2:13am
To replace your bread on sandwich day, try an egg wrap'
1 whole egg, 3 egg whites whipped together and cooked, before you cook your bacon and eggs for breakfast. No salt but you could add a chopped garlic clove, chopped parsley, ground pepper corns. etc. ,for extra flavour.
I gave up baking or cooking anything that said ''low carb bread''
You cannot make a carrot out of a potato. I also found by buying the ''low carb breads'' I ended up eating more than just the 2 slices a day, just because it was in my cupboard.

samanya, Nov 2, 3:53am
Hi pickles . long time no see?
That's a good idea & filling.
I use this recipe (& sometimes 2 eggs) & I like the fact that I don't end up with yolks left over.
"Ingredients
non-stick spray
1 egg
1 chive, finely chopped
salt and pepper
Wrap filling suggestions: cooked bacon, avocado, deli meat, cheese, veggies, hummus, guacamole

Directions

Heat a small non-stick skillet and spray it generously with non-stick spray. Beat the egg in a jug and add the chopped chive, salt and pepper.
Add the egg mixture to the skillet and heat until it has cooked on one side. Flip it over, and cook on the other side.
Slide the cooked egg wrap onto a plate, and load it up with whatever you like

0.4g net carbs per egg wrap, fillings are extra

timturtle, Jan 15, 7:47am
I have also given up making low carb bread recipes nothing was any good. However the fathead bagel recipe is VERY good and easy and toasts well