Alison Holsts Pretty pickle

lucy1711, Jan 19, 11:47pm
This sounds lovely, but I can't find the recipe! Has anyone got it and be willing to share? I found a list of ingredients online but not the amounts or recipe.Thanks very much.

bassmo1, Jan 20, 12:27am
Nope, I haven't got one. But I did fall in love with pear and fig pickle while whiling away time in koru lounge. I found that Barkers make it though they only sell it in 1kg catering packs, so I bought one. Yum.

linette1, Jan 20, 12:34am
https://www.pressreader.com/new-zealand/the-southland-times/20070129/282364035205310

Was curious so looked it up will make it myself so thanks.

nanasee1, Jan 20, 12:52am
x3
Pretty Pickle
8 cups diced cucumber
1/4 c plain salt
4 onions diced
2-3 red peppers diced
1-2 green or gold peppers diced
1 c drained whole kernel corn
3 cups sugar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
2 cups wine vinegar
2-3 Tbs Cornflour
Use long thin skinned cucumbers. Halve lengthwise and scoop out the central seeds with a teaspoon. Without removing the peel (unless it is very tough) cut flesh into small, even cubes. Measure cucumber into a glass or plastic container, sprinkle with salt and stand for 30 minutes, stirring several times. Drain and rinse discarding the liquid.
Put cucumber, onion, peppers, corn, sugar, seeds and vinegar into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil stirring constantly. Mix cornflour with a little extra vinegar and stir into the cucumber mixture.
Ladle into sterilised bottles with metal screw-topped lids. Seal immediately.
From "meals Without Meat" book

lucy1711, Nov 2, 5:02pm
Thank you so much nansee1, just what I was after!