Store cupboard casserole

bella95, May 4, 7:40am
I call this my store cupboard casserole because l can make it with ingredients l almost always have on hand. Made my first batch of the year a couple of days ago and reminded myself how yummy it is so thought l'd share while the leftovers are heating up. Lol. I first made it a few years ago as a way to use a smoked chicken l'd bought but didn't fancy eating cold as the weather had turned. This quantity uses half a smoked chicken as it makes 3 generous sized servings and is enough for me. Doubling the other ingredients should feed a family no problems. I eat the leftovers over a few days, alternating with other meals but it would be fine frozen too.
Hope someone will try it and that you enjoy it! Will add a photo if someone tells me how.
Store cupboard casserole
1/2 smoked chicken*, roughly shredded with your hands
1 can tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, sliced into strips
2 cloves garlic, chopped
about 1 1/2 cups of frozen whole green beans (add peas, carrots etc as well if you like)
4-5 potatoes, chopped into largish cubes
2 fresh or bottled capsicum**, cut in strips
herbs, salt and pepper to taste
Pour a drizzle of oil into a large pot. Saute onion til clear. Add garlic and cook gently for another minute. Add tomatoes, herbs, seasonings and potatoes (if using raw peppers or other fresh veges add them now). Simmer until potatoes are almost cooked. Add frozen beans, bottled peppers (if using and other frozen veges if using) and shredded chicken and cook gently for another 5 minutes - until potatoes are cooked and chicken and veg are warmed through. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley if you have it. I serve this in large bowls with crusty bread. The sauce is quite runny which l like but, if it bothers you, mix about a tablespoon of plain flour with half a cup of water and stir it through when you add the chicken etc.
* Can't remember how long smoked chicken lasts unopened but, pretty sure it's at least a month. Don't let the size of the chickens fool you, they shrink while being smoked and are super filling and great value for money.
** l use the red peppers you can buy in large jars at the supermarket. They work out much cheaper than fresh and are already roasted as well as being yummy. They last for ages when opened as long as you push them all below the liquid and keep the jar in the fridge.

shazzie10, May 11, 1:32am
Looks yummy. will make it and see how I go. Thanks.

lythande1, May 11, 2:16am
Smoked chicken is a basic in your world? Wow.

I have plain old frozen pieces, one of my gotos is:

Csirke Porkolt

Chicken (anything, pieces, breast cut up, whatever you like)
1 onion
2 capsicums, frozen, fresh, doesn't matter (I freeze the garden ones for this sort of thing over winter)
1 Tbsp paprika
Stock, enough to cover to half way up.
Salt and pepper, 1 bay leaf,
1 tsp caraway seed (optional)
Saute onion a bit, then throw the lot in a pot and simmer till tender.
Thicken a bit or reduce the liquid down if you prefer.
Serve with pasta off your choice, preferably smaller fat ones, like shells or penne, not spaghetti.

Traditionally add a dollop of sour cream to your serving, but I skip that, hate sour cream.

hidecote01, May 11, 2:34am
Soon as I read chicken went right off it. Yuk

strowan1, May 11, 2:57am
Thank you for sharing bella95, recipes like these can be a real lifesaver.

fifie, May 11, 3:18am
Sounds yum Bella, often do this I got from here,is any left over chicken in bits, left over roasties cubed, or handful of mixed vegs thawed, tin asparagus soup into a dish and make mix of grated cheese, fresh breadcrumbs, chopped parsley sprinkle on top into a mod oven till bubbly and topping is golden. Serve with green salad or mashed spuds. u

bella95, May 11, 6:47am
Yum some other good ideas too.
@ lythande. Having smoked chicken on hand isn't as much of a luxury as it sounds. It's super filling - even though they look tiny they would probably feed as many as a large chicken would - they last for absolutely ages and don't need thawing so can be quite last minute too.

bella95, Sep 24, 7:16pm
Just found this. I've got everything but broccoli, which l can substitute with cauli, so l think l'll use the other half of the chicken and try it. Will portion some up into an oven proof dish and pop it into the freezer for later too.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/77517427/delicious-and-supereasy-smoked-chicken-pasta-bake