Scones.

Page 2 / 2
daarhn, May 12, 6:54am
I had found it bizarre savoury scones with jam and cream when i first arrived. Jam and cream was strictly for sweet scones. Savoury had lashings of real butter. Now I've accustomed to the weirdness and it works.

My special treat is homemade persimmon jam and cream on a fresh baked scone come to room temperature. The jam is a heavenly perfume of delicate taste as it mingles with the cream and fluffy scone.

sarahb5, May 12, 7:07am
I've never had jam and cream on a savoury scone

hidecote01, May 13, 6:59pm
I love apricot jam on cheese scones.

deanna14, May 14, 3:47am
I know of folk who have jam and cream on cheese scones. Not my cup of tea I'm a bit of a purest.

sarahb5, May 14, 4:02am
That's just weird IMHO - why would anyone do that except by mistake?

nauru, May 14, 6:50am
Neither have I but cream cheese topped with a little chutney or relish on a savoury scone (con from my part of the UK) is very nice.

kay141, May 14, 7:10am
I like tasty cheese on date scones. Have to be homemade scones though, others do not have enough dates.

vashti, May 14, 10:59am
Thats how my mum made them, I’d forgotten until I read your post.
I can see them now coming out of the oven, with the excess flour on the tray slightly brown around them and the gorgeous smell.

wheelz, May 15, 11:25am
There's some good tips here, that aren't covered above
https://www.recipetineats.com/plain-scones/

autumnwinds, May 15, 12:33pm
For those who like date scones, you may like to try this:

Cut up dates (not too fine), simmer in a little water (about 1/2 way up your quantity of dates), add the finely grated zest of 1/2 small lemon, and the juice of one small lemon, a little honey if liked, then simmer for about 4-5 minutes until it makes a paste.

When ready to make your scones, pat out into rectangle, spread half with the date mix, and fold other half over the top. If you have a light hand, you can pat it out again into the rectangle, and fold again, before cutting into squares.

The combination of dates with the lemon makes for a very sumptuous date scone. I had these at a cafe years ago, and worked out what they'd done to create that gorgeous filling.

nauru, Sep 22, 12:07am
That recipe sounds really nice, I will give it a go. We love date scones, must have plenty of dates in them though and sometimes I add some chopped walnuts too.