Making scones

Page 1 / 2
blackhonker, Nov 2, 10:46am
Hi I was wondering if anyone has a fullproof way of making scones as mine are terrible I could sell them I suppose as biodegradable golf balls. Not good Thanks blackhonker

wheelz, Nov 2, 12:08pm
Lemonade scones
4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 pinch salt
300 ml cream
300 ml lemonade, soda water or any unflavoured carbonated fizz.
1. Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well. Pour the cream and lemonade or soda water into the dry ingredients and mix together to form a soft dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured bench, dust lightly with flour and gently roll out into a rectangle approx 1 inch thick. Cut into approximately 12 pieces and lift each onto the baking tray. For a good rise, use a cutter, don't roll into balls, scones need a cut edge to give height.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool inside a clean tea towel to help keep their freshness.
Serve with butter or your favourite jam and whipped cream.
TIPS
To make cheese scones, add grated cheese and a pinch of cayenne pepper. To make sultana or date scones, add ¼ - ½ cup of sultanas or chopped dates.

village.green, Nov 2, 8:13pm
wheelz recipe is really good, the trick is not to handle them much at all, honestly, they will be light and tasty if you don't. Don't think of them as bread dough or even pastry. When I make mine I knead ie turn over 6 times only just to bring everything together then cut out with knife. Makes a big mess but the scones are really really good. And I have used that recipe although my bog standard one is different.

hidecote01, Nov 2, 8:15pm
Always looked at the recipe and thought I should try them. So do you really recommend them?

village.green, Nov 2, 8:19pm
They really are good and you would not guess they contained lemonade (which is what I normally use).

buddynz1, Nov 2, 8:23pm
made these the other day and were yummy with raspberry jam

wheelz, Nov 2, 8:23pm
Yes I do. So easy, taste good.
After trying many recipes over many years, this one IMO is the best. Variations are easy, whether it's sweet or savoury scrolls or the addition of dried fruit and rinds or making savoury. Making cranberry and orange today.
I dislike the idiot proof one, as the addition of an egg doesn't give a scone taste or texture.

hidecote01, Nov 2, 8:36pm
You have spurred me on got to give them a go ta.

fifie, Nov 2, 8:38pm
Lemonade scones are good, but with any recipe the trick is in the making. My theory is Have your oven and tray preheated before you start, mix ingredients to a soft dough, but don't over do it. Turn on to floured board sprinkle with flour toss only few times to bind together dough and into shape about 1/2- 1 inch thick, work quickly cut with knife or cutter if using put on tray and bake. Spread out a clean tea towel when scones cooked put on to one half of towel cover with other half while hot.

buzzy110, Nov 2, 9:02pm
I tried them once and thought them too "cakey" to be a called a scone.

I have read all the threads, such as 245sam recommended because my scones resembled yours OP. I have come away with several ideas that finally worked for me.

I knew about not over handling. The secret that I found was not to overcook the scones. Instead of waiting till they go nice and brown all over, I removed them when they were cooked but still quite pale in colour, like my mother's. They were perfect.

Note: I dislike the horrible metallic aftertaste of self-raising flour so I stuck to the usual recipe found in the Edmond's cook book. I also have only made them once using the "secret" as we don't eat scones. I just wanted to know if I could make them properly. I used standard flour, not high grade.

harrislucinda, Nov 2, 9:12pm
just use plain flour and add baking powder

kaddiew, Nov 2, 9:55pm
I agree with you about the lemonade/cream scones. Tried them once, and although they were ok, they just weren't the same as ordinary scones. Actually too soft and cakey for my liking.

cleggyboy, Nov 2, 10:23pm
I am sick of scones becoming rock cakes, so now I use Edmonds Scone mix, it is cheap enough, and is consistent. Just add cheese or fruit or whatever.

village.green, Nov 2, 10:25pm
This is my 'go to' recipe.
3 cups plain flour
2 heaped tsp baking powder
75g grated cold butter
pinch salt
1 cup dried fruit (optional)
1.5 cups buttermilk (or normal milk with 2 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice)
Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Grate in the butter.
Stir with knife, add the milk and stir quickly and add the fruit if using.
Tip out onto floured board.
Knead 6 times only.
Pat out with hand and cut into size required.
Put on greased baking tray and bake at 220oC fan bake for 10-12 mins.
This recipe is an old one from Annabel White and have never had a failure yet. I also always use precut dates as I love them.

hidecote01, Nov 2, 10:29pm
Has anyone used Edmonds book recipe and replaced milk with cream or buttermilk.

gabbysnana, Nov 2, 11:47pm
tried that, tasted ghastly, set like rocks. I have given up on making scones, Ive tried everyones recipes on here and nothing has been succrssful, the birds have done well thou.

gabbysnana, Nov 2, 11:48pm
still get rocks from the expensive stuff.

cleggyboy, Nov 3, 12:55am
I just threw two out cos they are starting to go mouldy but are as soft as.

blackhonker, Nov 3, 2:07am
Thanks everyone for your comments I shall certainly try some as I am hopeless at making them

muffin2, Nov 3, 2:50am
I make cheese scones regularly and this is my recipe adapted from Edmonds cook book

first preheat the oven to 230c
to make the scones
2c high grage flour
3tsp baking powder
pinch cayenne pepper
1c grated cheese
about 1c milk

add dry ingredients to bowl and add cheese
add milk and mix until you get a good dough consistency
turn out on to a floured board

I take a large handful about the size of a tennis ball and roll it into a ball then place on baking tray and push down a bit
put a little knob of cheese on each scone and bake for about 15 minutes

pickles7, Nov 3, 4:03am
Lemonade scones are not worth turning the oven on for.

samanya, Nov 3, 4:55am
In your opinion, of course.
I have never had success making scones & it's no problem because they are not high on my list of must bake . IYKWIM . but hey some people like them & the once I tried them they were better than other attempts & I had no complaints . each to their own, huh?

pickles7, Nov 3, 6:45am
Lemonade scones are not worth turning the oven on for, or wasting a can of soda, and a bottle of cream on.

paora-tm, Nov 3, 7:03am
I never been more happy with my scones than when I started knocking the dough around a bit ( a bit not a lot) and then letting the uncooked scones rest a bit before cooking.

dibble35, Nov 3, 8:25pm
I to cant make scones - but I can make them using that lemonade and cream recipe. I love a good scone and tend to buy them rather than try to make them myself.