Making scones

Page 2 / 2
eclair5, Nov 6, 4:31am
I make terrible scones. Then I tried the lemonade scones and, cakey or not, they work for me every time. My family loves them.

buzzy110, Nov 6, 4:49am
It is my opinion that scones are not worth turning the oven on for either. What a waste of good butter or cheese.

linette1, Nov 6, 9:29am
Sick of the vitriol on here.
It is for recipes and the catty, nasty, critical comments are not warranted.
Time to stop with the childish school yard antics.

pickles7, Nov 6, 8:58pm
Where dose your rant sit ?

The scones are trashy, I can't see that anyone still makes them. That by the way is not catty, critical, or nasty to any one personally. It is from many testy trials of eating those trashy scones many years ago, when the recipe first surfaced.

linette1, Nov 7, 2:16am
You are ranting, and who says I'm talking to you?
There are other examples of the criticism and cattiness on here on other threads too, it is ongoing.
Some is more subtle but the message is still there.
You know what I am talking about, play ignorant if you want to.

Taste is a personal issue not everyone likes the same things so why do people have to go out of their way to comment adversely when they could just butt out.

buzzy110, Nov 7, 3:02am
I would have appreciated it if someone had warned me about the lemonade scones before I tried making them. Instead all I got were positive reports. I don't like scones per se because of the pain they leave me in for hours after but lemonade scones, I discovered, are even less to my liking than the dreaded cold scone.

To my way of thinking they need another name entirely so as not to be confused with scones.

cleggyboy, Nov 7, 5:06am
Christ this section is as bad as the catty crap in parenting. All oh so perfect strutting around on your little pedestals. I have seen better behaviour at day care centres.

buzzy110, Nov 7, 6:34am
Lol. Oh come on. It is scones. Who cares what people think of scones? I could think of ten things much more important than scones. Let's hope scones aren't daily fare at day care centres is all I can say.

wasala, Nov 7, 9:32am
Oh, Buzzy. You are so funny, bless you!

pickles7, Nov 7, 9:39am
Why insist on making personal attacks. The scones are in question, not the posters. They are rubbish and should not be called . scones.

pickles7, Nov 7, 9:41am
Come on tell us all , you hate those awful things that they are passing off as . scones

fdnz, Nov 7, 9:46am
Its DOES by the way, and I am sniggering at someone calling scones "trashy". hahaha. Kind of like being 14 again.

dibble35, Nov 7, 6:03pm
LOl, I didnt find any of the old b*tchiness in this thread till linette and cleggy started commenting, it was just a few people saying they didnt think lemonade scones were worth making. cant people have an opinion. (My opinion, and im allowed to have one, is that if you cant make scones to save yourself like me, these are worth a try as they are foolproof). I thought the recipe threads had been going really well lately, seemed like most people were making more of an effort to be nice.

kaddiew, Nov 7, 6:57pm
Well said. How was my saying I made them once, found them ok but they weren't the same as ordinary scones, construed as "vitriol"? It was just an opinion, nothing more.

pickles7, Nov 7, 7:01pm
I thought a proper scone recipe should be offered .The texture is what gives these the right to be called. scones.
The variable ingredient will be the flour, may take more milk

Pull apart Cheese and onion. Scones.
4 cups of flour,
1 tsp salt,
2 tsp baking soda,
4 tsp cream of tartar,

200grams of grated cheese,
1/2 a medium onion very finely chopped,
1 egg,
100 grams of melted butter,
1 and 1/2 cups of milk, may need a little more
Sift all the dry ingredients,
melt the butter,
beat the egg in a measuring jug,
add the melted butter,
then milk to make up to 2 cups of liquid
add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients ,
mix lightly, adding more milk so the mixture is not crumbly at all,
I tip my scones straight out onto a floured baking tray.
I cut them on the tray, using a wet knife
I sprinkle more grated cheese over the top,
bake 15-20 minutes in a 250%C oven

pickles7, Nov 7, 7:04pm
Date scones.

4 cups high grade flour
1 tsp salt,
2 tsp baking soda,
4 tsp cream of tartar, sifted.
chop up and add 200grams of dates.

melt 100 grams of butter,
add 1 egg, beat with whisk,
add milk to make up to 2 cups.

add to dry ingredients mix.

bake 15 minutes in a hot oven.

wheelz, Nov 7, 9:00pm
Ha! That's why they are called idiot proof. Idiots like em ;)

buzzy110, Nov 7, 9:44pm
Thank you dibble. I have been making an effort and have not been tempted to get into slanging matches with the poster, and sometimes her pal, who continue to try and lure me into having to defend myself against their determined attacks. When I do defend myself they tell everyone how awful I am. I am not the awful one. It is the ones who hold grudges and continue to keep up the baiting who are the unpleasant ones. I have politely been ignoring them and their unpleasant innuendo and barbs and it has been nice for everyone else I think. I am glad you, at least, noticed that an effort was being made.

buzzy110, Nov 7, 9:51pm
There was a thread started called Idiot Proof scones but it was a thank you thread and the recipe was never posted. I looked for the recipe but couldn't find it. Is it, perchance, the lemonade and cream scone recipe that was being talked about?

In the meantime, I cannot make the French equivalent of the English scone, a croissant. They are so light and airy; perfect for both jam and cream, chocolate or salad stuffed. I'd really love to be able to make those. Anyone got any good tips. So far I have decided that my big problem is my fixation with sour dough. You just cannot make croissants using sour dough. Commercial yeast is so tricky to work with imo.

clair4, Nov 8, 12:36am
Pickles, in your cheese scones, do you use plain flour or high grade, as there is no baking powder?. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

linette1, Nov 8, 1:29am
My comments were not directed at anyone particular person.

linette1, Nov 8, 1:32am
Bitchiness? well as you say you are allowed an opinion.

linette1, Nov 8, 1:38am
It wasn't a personal attack at all.
I stick with my opinion that taste is a personal issue not everyone likes the same things so why do people have to go out of their way to comment adversely when they could just butt out.

kaddiew, Dec 5, 9:17pm
You're missing the point. It's not "vitriol" or "commenting adversely" for anyone to say they don't like a particular recipe, and why. It's just as valid to dislike a recipe. or film. or book. and so on. as it is to like a recipe. or film. or book.

You somehow mistook a thread that was going along just fine, for a nasty one.