Hogget Roast - Home kill

robertsons-nes, Aug 15, 12:17am
Got a home kill hogget leg roast
What's the best and yummiest way to cook it please

twindizzy, Aug 15, 1:35am
Jealous!

Low and slow

twelve12, Aug 15, 1:36am
Last time, we put it in the BBQ over charcoals for a while, almost smoking it, then finished it off in the oven to crisp it up.
No gravy, but beautiful.

valentino, Aug 15, 1:42am
Just a plain straight up basic roasting method.

Perhaps a smear or rubbed with mint jelly.

Whenever I roast lamb, I do the potatoes at the same time. Peel some nice sized potatoes and cut them to about size of a medium to large mandarin, placed in roasting dish with lamb - hogget, add about a cup or 1 1/2 cups of water to dish, melt some butter in a cup via microwave and pour it over all the potatoes. Sprinkle some salt on each potato.

Roast all in oven initially at about 200C for the first 30 minutes then lower to 180C for say about another 1 1/2 to 2 hours keeping an eye on the meat and potatoes. Take the meat out to rest for 10 minutes at least but turn the potatoes in that lovely juices in dish and back into oven until ready to serve.

The juices makes a superb gravy, simple put juices (perhaps skim the fat of the top first if required for personal taste and reasons) into a saucepan, add say about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour (depends how much juices you have in saucepan) mixed with cold water to a thick runny mixture and add to the juices, cook until all is heated through and thickened a little.

Absolutely beautiful.

leeanz, Aug 15, 2:19am
Cook it at a lower temperature and for longer than you would cook lamb, otherwise it could be tough. As twindizzy said - low and slow.

skydancing, Aug 15, 5:18am
I am so jealous! Can anyone please tell me where I can buy a leg of hogget in Hastings? Cheers and I know you are going to enjoy it OP

beaker59, Aug 16, 1:29am
Make a bed of rosemary branches then place roast on top cover with a crust of crushed garlic, plenty of salt, use a covered roasting dish then fan bake for 3 to 4 hours at 150 degrees.

Remove rosemary branches before making gravy and sieve out rosemary leaves from gravy (they get bitter once they have lost all their oils).

jerichord, Aug 17, 4:11am
home made bayleys, does anyone have the recipe for this, , please

korbo, Aug 18, 4:23am
Jealous here too, nothing like a Hogget or Mutton roast. Lamb today, especially those ones in sealed plastic are horrible.Skydancing, if you find one, can u let me know. Think I saw a **side** of mutton for $79.95 a while back. com'on let me win lotto. lol

skydancing, Dec 24, 4:06pm
Me too Korbo and yes will let you know.