Sponge topping over cooked apples.

quiz3, Aug 15, 4:09am
Could someone give me the recipe and method for a sponge topping on hot stewed apples.
Can't seem to find what I want on the Message board to the left.

Many thanks for your help.

harrislucinda, Aug 15, 4:17am
can use this 2 cups self raising flour 100 grm butter 1/4 cup sugar 1 egg 1 cup milk cream butter and sugar add egg then milk with flour pour over hot fruit
And if you like to make another pudding put 1 small jar of plum jar over sponge and then 1 cup boiling water bake

245sam, Aug 15, 4:35am
quiz3, as well as the apples do you have a banana to spare? Here's an apple sponge pudding recipe with a difference.

APPLE AND BANANA SPONGE PUDDING
2-3 cups stewed apples

Place the apples in a 22cm x 13cm pie dish and place the dish in a preheating 190°C oven to heat whilst preparing the
Sponge Topping:
125g butter
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1 small banana, mashed
¾ cup flour
2 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and beat well, then add the banana, followed by the flour and baking powder. Mix well, then evenly spoon the mixture on top of the boiling apples.
Bake at 190°C for 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve hot.
Serves 5-6.

and because you obviously have the apples, presumably stewed, you might like to consider this alternative.

HASTY TASTY APPLE PUDDING
3-4 cups stewed apples, preferably unsweetened
freshly grated nutmeg
50g butter
1 household tbsp golden syrup
4 thick slices bread (white or of choice), cubed

Place the apples in a greased shallow ovenproof dish, then sprinkle the apples with the freshly grated nutmeg. Place the dish of apples in a 180ºC oven to heat through.
Meanwhile heat the butter and golden syrup together, and as soon as the butter has melted, thoroughly mix the butter and golden syrup together, then add the bread cubes and quickly toss to coat them as evenly as possible with the melted mixture. Spread the bread cubes evenly over the warmed apple and return the dish to the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the bread cubes are golden brown and crisp.
Serves 4.
By basing the quantities required on:- per person - 1 cup apple, 1 slice bread, 1 dessertspoon butter and a generous teaspoon golden syrup, this recipe can easily be increased or decreased according to the number of servings required.

Hope the above options help. :-))

quiz3, Aug 15, 7:29am
Thankyou for the recipe 245sam, all done and in the oven cooking away beautifully, looks sooooo good.
Lovely idea adding the mashed banana and also adding topping to boiling apples, that could be the secret to a really fluffy top.
I very rarely make a cooked dessert maybe the beginning of a good thing.

Thankyou too bobcat_6, may try your recipe another time.

vomo2, Aug 16, 6:18am
For recipes including flour replace 2tbsp flour with 2 tbsp cornflour for a lighter sponge.

pam.delilah, Aug 18, 5:35am
a nice Simon Holst's one
apple/fruit sponge
Ingredients:
2-3 cups stewed or pureed apple or any type of stewed (or drained canned) fruit
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
pinch of salt
Method:
Heat the oven to 180C (or 170C if using fanbake).
Pour the fruit into a non-stick sprayed 18cm baking dish. Separate the eggs, and place the whites in a large clean bowl and the yolks in another large bowl. Add the sugar, flour and milk to the yolks and whisk together.
Add a pinch of salt to the whites, then beat them until they form stiff peaks. Carefully fold the beaten whites into the yolk mixture, then pour this over the fruit in the baking dish.
Place the baking dish in a roasting pan and pour hot water 2-3cm hot water into the roasting pan. Place in the oven and bake for 50-70 minutes until puffy and golden brown.
Serve with cream, custard or icecream

sarahb5, Aug 18, 8:34am
Eves pudding - failed my cookery exam at school trying to make this because the sponge wasn't cooked properly

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/252606/eves-pudding

sarahb5, Aug 18, 9:27am

marywea, Aug 18, 3:53pm
This fantastic-thanks Dibble. The heading was crunchy apple pudding( I thik!)

"Was copying this out for my sister so thought I may as well put it here as well, its such a simple dish yet everyone who tries it likes it
Apple crunch
100gms butter
5 apples
1C flour
3/4C sugar
pinch salt
1tsp baking powder
1 egg
TOPPING
2tsp cinnamon
2tsp sugar
Oven 180*, grease baking dish, Melt butter, let cool.
Peel core and slice apples, place in dish.
Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, add egg and melted butter. Mix well.
Spread it evenly over the apples, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the top, Bake 40mins

dibble35 (630 630 positive feedback) 8:56 am, Fri 19 Apr #1

rarogal, Aug 19, 1:05am
Yes this one is delicious! Much nicer than the old Edmonds apple sponge pudding recipe!

dibble35, Aug 19, 1:49am
Glad your all still enjoying it

dolphinlu, Aug 19, 7:31am
I made this for dessert tonight and it was so yummmyy

sarahb5, Aug 19, 7:51am
My mum used to make something very similar to this using breadcrumbs, sugar and lemon zest - she called it apple charlotte but I have also seen it called apple brown betty which is appropriate as her first name was Betty!

issymae, Aug 19, 9:31pm
make the Banana one a lot, real yummy

marcs, Aug 20, 7:17am
Could I use rhubarb in this. I was going to make apple rhubarb sponge

leonv8, Dec 15, 3:52pm
Good old Edmonds Cookbook to the rescue - Fruit Sponge.