Beetroot recipes

frances1266, Jan 17, 6:42pm
Anyone have any good beetroot recipes please, either raw or cooked.

mjhdeal, Jan 17, 7:18pm
I have made this and the dressing combination of balsamic and pesto was really delicious. (Vegan recipe).

I used a combination of golden and red beetroot and the colours looked great, but I haven't seen golden beetroot since unfortunately. However, while using both colours looks great, just ordinary red will do fine. I do recommend using the watercress though, if you can get it. If not, then I think rocket would be a good substitution.

http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/paleo-balsamic-roasted-beet-salad-an-appetizer-with-watercress/

mjhdeal, Jan 17, 7:20pm
(looks through my pinterest page. )

A vegan beetroot burger pattie I have made, and really liked (I used canned lentils):

http://www.alignyo.com/blog/fire-up-the-grill-vegan-beet-burger-recipe

mjhdeal, Jan 17, 7:24pm

julie55, Jan 17, 7:25pm
This is my Favourite Beetroot Relish recipe. Making jars of it right now for a fundraiser at the Island Bay Festival in Feb.

Beetroot Relish

1,5kg beetroot, cooked but still firm. cooled and drained, and peeled.

500g onions (peeled weight)
500g apples (peeled weight)
2 1/2 cups white or cider vinegar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp salt
500g sugar ( less if you want it less sweet)

In a food processor (or just chop), slice beetroot, onions and apples (I sue the slicing blade as it gives a chunkier relish).
Place onions, apples spices and salt in a pan with the vinegar and boil 15 mins. Add beetroot and sugar and bring back to boil. Cook until thick consistency - around 45 mins - and put into hot sterilized jars.

My last batch I only had 1kg of beetroot and adjusted the recipe. It made five medium sized jars so a little does go a long way. This is a winner!

elsielaurie1, Jan 17, 8:21pm
Jellied Beetroot.
Place cleaned, not topped or tailed, beetroot in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer about 1/2 hr. Leave in water to cool. When cool enough to handle, slough off the skins. Keep the boiled water. Trim off the tops and tails. Cut into slices and place in a heatproof dish. In a saucepan, place 1cup of the beetroot water, 3/4c vinegar, 1 'red' jelly and salt to taste. Heat until jelly has dissolved. Pour over beetroot. Leave in a cool place till set. Delicious with salads or cold meats.

mjhdeal, Jan 17, 9:30pm
P.S. Sorry, not vegan, I checked and the balsamic glaze has honey.

frances1266, Jan 17, 9:42pm
Not a prob mjhdeal, I just sub agave. I couldnt opened the salad recipe for some reason, just says 'page not found'. Could you post it on here as it sounds really good. Thanks for your help with the recipes, they look great.

mjhdeal, Jan 18, 5:03pm
Roasted Golden & Red Beets
Ingredients
• 6 beetroot (optional: 3 Golden Beets, 3 Red Beets)
• Coarse Sea Salt
• Fresh Milled Black Pepper
• 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
• 1 Orange
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Peel and quarter the beets, removing the tops. Keep the red beets separate from the yellow, if using both colours (so that the red doesn’t bleed off onto the yellow).
3. Coat them in a thin layer of olive oil (about 1 Tbsp for each color). Then toss them with about 1 Tbsp orange juice and 1 tsp each coarse sea salt and black pepper (in each bowl).
4. Spread the beets out on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your beets. At the 45 minute mark, poke one of the larger beets with a fork, if it is tender, they are done. If not, leave them in a little longer. Let cool.

Bright Pesto Sauce
Ingredients
• ½ Tbsp Pine Nuts
• 1 Garlic Clove
• 8 Basil Leaves
• ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
• 4 Mint Leaves
• 1 Tbsp Vinegar
• 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
• ¼ tsp Coarse Sea Salt
• ¼ tsp Black Pepper
Instructions
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth in consistency.

Balsamic Glaze
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
3 Tbsp raw Honey
1 Tbsp Coconut Aminos or tamari/soy sauce
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer until the glaze is thick and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Assemble Salad
When the beets are done, take them out of the oven, plate them, then dress with balsamic glaze, pesto, pumpkin seeds and watercress.

NB:
I went fairly easy on the dressings, so had some left over to make another salad.
For nice presentation, I didn't toss the beetroot with the dressings; I drizzled them (in squiggles) over the top. This kept a colour and flavour contrast with the different ingredients.

frances1266, Jan 18, 6:26pm
That sounds lovely mjhdeal, thanks so much.

mjhdeal, Jan 18, 6:42pm
You are welcome :)

sarahb5, May 2, 5:08pm
I have made a very similar salad but without zucchini - delicious but messy to grate raw beetroot