New microwave-suggestions please?

pengy2, May 29, 4:51am
Used to have a 25 year panasonic, it was great, went well, functioned well but had started to rust around the door so bought a new smaller one, a Sharp, that lasted 3 years -it just stopped going. Then bought another Panasonic but its just packed up after 3.5 years. Any recommendations? Hopefully the next will last longer than the last two. Thanks for any suggestions.

motorbo, May 29, 4:59am
consider not buying one, they kill the nutrient's in your food, I no longer own one and happily manage well without it

brycer, May 29, 5:05am
Suggest OP comes to own conclusions instead of 'advice' here. My research says "microwaving is among the best methods of cooking in terms of preserving nutrients"

buzzy86, May 29, 5:12am
I have a breville microwave and its easy to clean nice to use and fast.

awoftam, May 29, 5:18am
No advice just a memory.

My Mother, who was an early adopter of things came home with a microwave many many MANY years ago. I remember her putting something in it (can't remember what) and standing with her face planted against the glass staring inside intently as this new wondrous machine hummed away on top of the fridge. Then whatever food she put in exploded and I saw my Mother shriek and leap 2 feet up in the air and 5 feet backwards. I laughed till I cried. Not put off she tried all sorts of things (on us lol) and still uses hers reasonably extensively to this day.

unknowndisorder, May 29, 7:51am
I use it for veges, and maybe the odd custard. Had this one for maybe three years now (not sure), only thing wrong with it is the start button has lifted (the plastic). Panasonic.

when this one dies, will replace it possibly with the newer inverter model (not really sure what it is all about sorry, as not convinced I will need to replace it any time soon).

I do wipe it down after each use, (not between uses, just when done with it for the day).

sarahb5, May 29, 8:13am
I love mine and cook in it every day at least once a day - it's a very versatile option because it's also a convection oven (size 24 roast chicken in an hour) and a breadmaker

It's a Sheffield brand from Noel Leeming - will see if I can find a link

PS: you can find statistics to support any theory on Google - as many saying they preserve nutrients because they cook more quickly as there are saying the radiation will kill you!

sarahb5, May 29, 8:15am

pengy2, May 29, 9:14am
Well havent seen one like that before. Sadly the dimensions won't fit in my kitchen . but it sure looks interesting and having all those features in one appliance! I use my breadmaker a lot-so was interested to see this microwave is a breadmaker too! Does it make great loaves?

sarahb5, May 29, 9:15am
It sure does - makes great pizza dough - and it's a lot smaller than my old Panasonic

pengy2, May 29, 9:21am
I know there are mixed opinions about microwaves but I have used one for years. I particularly like vegetables and eggs cooked in them, so each to their own I guess. I love my micro egg and omelette gadgets Thanks for all comments, will go micro shopping tomorrow. Welcome any further recommendations.

unknowndisorder, May 29, 9:29am
convection, that is it. didn't think it was inverter, but no matter, Sarah sorted you :) lol :)

lynbaby, May 31, 4:57am
I had a Sharp microwave for a few years that also just stopped working. I also wasn't happy with it, the lights for the time stopped working properly in the first few months, rust around the door etc, I wouldn't buy Sharp again. My new one is a Samsung which I got with Flybuys. It works well but the only thing I don't like is that you can't see inside it when it is going, which is a pain if I'm making custard and I want to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't boil over. Years ago I had a Sanyo bought from Farmers, I loved it and it worked like a dream.

taurus2005, May 31, 5:26am
I have the Sharp Invertor Sensor one- its rubbish.

pengy2, May 31, 8:29pm
I hadnt read this post in time but had narrowed it down to sharp and samsung. In the shop decided to go with the consumer rated sharp but was very wary after my last sharp packed up. Got it home, unpacked it only to discover it was faulty, so annoying as the store is a long drive away.Had to take it back and with no confidence in it at all ended up swapping it for the samsung. It goes! The dark door doesnt bother me-and so far all good, I'm pleased with it.

540trickzter, Jun 25, 10:42am
We're thinking of getting this one:

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/home-appliances/kitchen-appliances/microwaves/breville-quick-touch-microwave-oven-stainless-steel-en.html

Not sure if it's any good, but it looks quite nice.