Old Kiwi Milk Bar Recipes Please For Food & Drinks

Page 3 / 5
winnie231, Sep 24, 2:05am
Re. lollies in jars ... I help my friends out in their shop which is one of the last original, historical stores in NZ ... The Langford Store in Bainham, Golden Bay, and we have loose lollies in big old square jars for folks to choose from as well as 50c & $1 mixes. From experience here - make sure you sell aniseed balls & blackballs ... we have many folks buying them with the comment "I haven't had these in years! " Also very popular are Whittikars K bars & toffee milks.

tehenga288, Sep 24, 6:43am
Paninis & huge muffins I can't stand them either paninis are just glorified sandwiches that they manage to over charge for but I love sodas & normal milkshakes, lime flavour -not thick shakes tho.

flowers35, Sep 24, 11:57pm
i work in a tearooms that still have things the old fashion way. we have a lot of older customers who have been coming in for years.

doree36, Sep 25, 12:23am
Good old Fashioned Mince on Toast never see it around these days and almost as rare are Mince Sandwiches! !

daleaway, Sep 25, 4:10am
You're so right Doree mince was a staple in the 1950s milk bars. I've remembered some more: Toasted sandwiches came in about the late 1950s but not everyone had them. Pink icing was big, on cakes. Queen cakes and butterfly cakes were all the go. Fly cemeteries and Eccles cakes. Cream sponge. Napoleon and Battenberg cakes.

raebea, Sep 26, 8:58am
small squares of pastry , spread strawberry jam on one piece, put a blob of whipped cream on the jam , another pastry square on top & dust with icing sugar, lovely... . Mince toasted sandwiches, I prefer any toasted sandwiches done in the elec fry pan, browning the buttered sides, but not squashed flat... ... . Banana boats with icecream, a small banana slced in 1/2 lenghtways, with a slice down each side of the icecream, some chocolate sauce trickled over the top, or any flavour. add a wafer, cut in 1/2 diagonally,

sissybel, Sep 27, 11:48pm
Bump ... :)

rog.e, Oct 2, 4:19am
Booth seating The one I was working weekends in at 14/15yrs was a restaurant durng the day as well as a milk bar. "Dining Rooms" they called such places. The seating was painted wooden booths. I think that's an American idea. Could fit heaps more people in not using tables and chairs, V

jessie981, Oct 2, 4:55am
No bowls of hot chips back then .

cutezie, Oct 4, 4:49am
I adored Choc bombs I have loved looking thru this thread. I despise paninas and large muffins also. I would love to go to a coffee lounge again.

anabelles, Oct 5, 4:02am
Remember Neopolitan Cake Pastry spread with raspberry jam and sponge in the middle and pink icing?

aphra1, Oct 5, 5:28am
What a lovely thread.

timturtle, Oct 5, 6:50am
anabelles do you have a recipe for that neopolitan cake ? TIA

bumblebee13, Oct 5, 8:07am
gob stoppers would have to be a must for children now days and give parents a much needed break, and those chocolate eclair lolli pops

suzanna, Oct 5, 10:52am
Chocolate eclairs A hundred years ago my beloved Grandma used to take my brother and I as a holiday treat to a coffee bar in Tauranga called the 'Downunder" and my most favourite treat was an enormous chocolate eclair with cream and a fabulously fudge icing... that was after the asparagus roll... stupendous. We caught the ferry from the Mount and back... God bless grandma!

anabelles, Oct 7, 7:34am
Neopolitan Cake Recipe Timturtle: I made it up this way:
Cook 2 squares flakey pastry, well pricked or between 2 oven trays so not too puffed. Cook a lamington sponge in a 23cm tin:- Beat 2 egg whites + pinch of salt till stiff. Add 2 tbs sugar + 2 egg yolks. Beat till thick & creamy. Melt a knob butter in 1 tbs boiling water. Add.
Sift in 45g cornflour, 1 tbs flour,
1 small teasp Baking pwd fold through 180deg 10 - 15 mins

anabelles, Oct 7, 7:40am
Assemble neopolitan Cake Spread 1 flakey pastry square with Raspberry jam. Place cooled sponge on top and spread with more jam. Place 2nd pastry on top and ice with pink butter icing. Trim edges (Eat trimmings! ! ) Cut and serve.
Someone might have a more authentic recipe as I just made it from remembering how it was.

timturtle, Oct 8, 9:20pm
Made the sponge/pastry one here are 3 photos

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/28/107791728_full. jp
g

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/43/107791743_full. jp
g

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/82/107791782_full. jp
g

anabelles, Oct 9, 7:20am
What have you got in the middle timturtle? I did pastry, jam, sponge, jam, pastry. Icing. Was too much sponge dry? Perhaps it would need a mock cream somewhere? Anyone got a mock cream recipe that will just do a 23cm cake?

timturtle, Oct 9, 8:21am
i used mock cream in the middle, but it was too much only because i got sick of beating it, it was too high that part of it, however it tasted like Gran's but i still want to know what its called, someone from down south must know

bluetigerrr, Oct 9, 8:39am
Whoa - the 'Downunder' :) It was like a long dark cave and way cooool. Real late 50s/early 60s. I remember getting bowls of Edmonds Jelly - you know, the neon-coloured stuff - in a long icecream float dish with a scoop of icecream on top covered in hundreds and thousands! Awfully exotic LOL

sissybel, Oct 12, 8:51pm
I really appreciate the feedback everyone and thank you. I remember the decor being a pale green, the same green as the old milkshake machines and the back to back benches. We had a couple in Palmerston North and this one was situated in Broadway. I remember a lovely trifle I use to enjoy at the PDC coffee lounge.

crystalmoon, Oct 20, 1:24am
Hi timturtle, wow that looks great. My hubby has always talked about a cake with pastry/jam and sponge, he's from Southland and I never knew what he meant(I'm a jaffa). I'm sure this is it. Will give it a go and surprize him. Thanks

crystalmoon, Oct 20, 1:24am
An awesome thread brought back some great childhood memories:0 Keep em coming.

timturtle, Oct 20, 9:51am
let me know if this is it and see if he knows what it was called. Thanks